Ensenada to San Diego

travel1

T1, I don't get it. Why do you want/need to get from Ensenada to San Diego? We have never been on a cruise that ended in Mexico (we have sailed round trip from LA to the Mex Riviera, and also round trip to Hawaii). Mot of the time when it says the cruise ends there, or goes there as a last port of call, it's to satisfy the Jones Act requirement. Again, we've not done it, but I understand that if the cruise physically ends in Ensenada, the cruise line will transport you by bus (presumably) to San Diego. I can't picture the cruise line stranding you in Mexico. When we "stopped" in Ensenada on the way back from Hawaii on QM2, the ship didn't even go into the harbor. Instead, some personnel tendered into port to get the ship's documents stamped, before we set sail for LA again. As for your question, I guess there must be buses, or maybe rental cars.

Joe, one way Hawaii to California cruises have to end in Ensenada, not San Diego, due to the Passenger Services Act. Same with a one way cruise from Seattle to California, it would have to end in Ensenada as well.

The roundtrip Hawaii cruises are okay with only a brief stop in Ensenada due to the different requirements of the PSA for roundtrip cruises versus one way cruises.

We did Hawaii on Carnival three years ago, and ended in Ensenada. However, an RC ship ported in Ensenada while we were there, and then sailed on to San Diego. We saw them in Ensenada, and then in San Diego. So apparently you can end up in either port, unless there has been a change in the last three years.

Anyway, Carnival then put us all on buses to San Diego. This would have been fine, but our bus driver got lost from the main group, and then got MAJOR lost in Tijuana! :eek: He wouldn't ask for directions. When we finally got to the border, he took the wrong ramp to go through. He had to back up the ramp, which was barely wide enough for a bus. What an Adventure!! You should have heard all of our cell phones beep when we crossed the border.

Well, we made it just fine, and got reunited with our luggage at customs. My guess is that if X puts you off in Ensenada, they will provide buses to get you over the border. Just make sure your driver knows where he is going!!!

Shay

T1, I don't get it. Why do you want/need to get from Ensenada to San Diego? We have never been on a cruise that ended in Mexico (we have sailed round trip from LA to the Mex Riviera, and also round trip to Hawaii). Mot of the time when it says the cruise ends there, or goes there as a last port of call, it's to satisfy the Jones Act requirement. Again, we've not done it, but I understand that if the cruise physically ends in Ensenada, the cruise line will transport you by bus (presumably) to San Diego. I can't picture the cruise line stranding you in Mexico. When we "stopped" in Ensenada on the way back from Hawaii on QM2, the ship didn't even go into the harbor. Instead, some personnel tendered into port to get the ship's documents stamped, before we set sail for LA again. As for your question, I guess there must be buses, or maybe rental cars.

Hi Joe,:) the reason the OP needs to get to San Diego is...on

Oct 13th Mercury goes from Seattle...one way to Ensenada.

The final stop is there...so they need to get back to San Diego.

I was originally booked on that sailing but ended up doing

Alaska a few months back instead.

We were provided buses & just be prepared for a LONG trip through the city & then on line (in the bus) at customs, not to mention getting off the ship by 6 in the morning or around then. & just hope that your bus driver doesn't get lost and almost had to get back into mexico & over the border again - that would not have been fun...that was the worst part of the cruise (the trip back to CA).

We've done it a couple of times. It is what you make of it. when you board the bus grab seats on the left. The coastline is lovely.

Five weeks from today the Mercury will be dropping it's passengers in Ensenada and heading north to pick us up, Yeah! :D

I almost booked the Seattle to Ensenada repo cruise. Celebrity told me the transfer (bus the San Diego) would NOT be free (around $70-80 per person, if I recall correctly) and that they did NOT offer ANY tours in Ensenada that day (so no seeing the buffalo snort, no beach trip, no shopping or seeing the town, and no trip to Tijuana despite being in Mexico). I couldn't find a rental car (we would have baggage - so a bus would be difficult for sight-seeing). The view of the coast from the bus on the way to San Diego would be it for the Mexico experience.

Archived