Digital camera questions.

Travelbug 2

I just bought an Olympus C-750 camera and shot over 50 shots and the batteries are still going strong. I am sure there is something wrong with your camera unless you are leaving it turned on or something. My new camera is a 4 megapixel camera and I find it very superior in picture quality to my previous 2.3. I am not a camera expert, but the difference in picture quality even in 4x6 size is very obvious.

I'm no expert either but I've been told by many that 3.0 megapixels meets most requirements for up to 8x10. In fact, Canon just announced that they are using 3.2 as their standard going forward and will make no more sub 3.0 cameras.

Your remarks on the old smartmedia card were, in my opinion, right on target.
Thanks. The problem is, I think xD is repeating the same mistake. No, scratch that, I know it is. This is incredibly frustrating.

there is a discernible difference between (for example) 5x7 photos taken on my 2020 (2.1 megapixels) and my mother's 4040 (4 megapixels).
That may have something to do with things other than pixels.

At that print size there really shouldn't be a much of a discernable difference between 2 megapixels and 4 megapixels at all, all other things being equal.

The 5060 was an excellent choice of camera, I think it's the best in its class as is the 8080 in its class. My dad uses a 5050 for business use (shared with others at his place of work) and loves it. For personal use he still uses the old 2020 which was the first digital camera I ever had any experience with. For its time it was as good as it got, today it seems rather pathetic. And it was an expensive camera too - I think he paid about $1000 for it, when it was the latest, greatest thing.

Incidentally my old C-2100 (which I still have, I probably should sell it on eBay or something) used the same sensor as the C-2020 but was a year or so newer, and there's a discernable difference there too, because of more advanced image processing algorithms etc.

My new E-1 has upgradeable firmware and within the life of that camera itself (only been out for maybe six months) there have been various improvements and some claim that the original (minor) faults in image quality have actually been fixed.

Great info! Thanks, Doug, for that straight-forward presentation of digicam facts and figures.
You're welcome! I'm just glad that you found my explanation straight-forward, usually I wind up confusing people even more!

My new camera is a 4 megapixel camera and I find it very superior in picture quality to my previous 2.3. I am not a camera expert, but the difference in picture quality even in 4x6 size is very obvious.
Again, there are many, many, many other factors at work that are probably affecting image quality far more than megapixels.

As I said, all things being equal, a couple of extra megapixels shouldn't make much of a difference at that print size.

I'm no expert either but I've been told by many that 3.0 megapixels meets most requirements for up to 8x10. In fact, Canon just announced that they are using 3.2 as their standard going forward and will make no more sub 3.0 cameras.
This has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with the fact that the public doesn't want 2 megapixel cameras any more. For people who are just doing 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 prints 2 megapixels is more than enough. And I've seen very large prints from professional 2 megapixel cameras that are absolutely outstanding. (This doesn't mean you could do that with a consumer 2 megapixel, however at large sizes most consumer cameras do not give good results, however many pixels they have, for reasons I won't get into here.) So in the end it's entirely a marketing thing.

I have a Oly C-750 and three sets of rechargeable batteries and an additional quick charger. If you hare getting five or six shots per battery set, send it in and demand a replacement. I would also recommend that you switch to rechargeble. I can usually shoot for at least a day or more on one set and sometimes two days. My only problem lately, is that recently after less than a dozen charges the Oly batteries that came with the camera are not charging. I tried on both chargers and had no luck. So I quickly ran out and purchased another set of four Panasonic 2100 or 2300amp batteries to replace. Not sure why they didn't last.

The 5060 is a great camera from everything I have read and heard from those who have them. I like everything RevNeal said, except I wanted more optical zoom, 10x for the 750 rather than 3?or 4x with 5060. I may decide to go to digital slr Nikon or Canon for better image quality. Check out the photo sites referenced and read the reviews in light of what you need from a cameral and you will not be disappointed. Just remember that you can spend another fortune in cards, batteries, charger, bag, filters, aux lenses,flash, and tripod.

I may decide to go to digital slr Nikon or Canon for better image quality.
If you're looking at digital SLRs don't discount Olympus' E-1, I just bought it and it's a great camera. It looks much more expensive than the entry-level products from Nikon and Canon but there are some great deals out there right now as they had not been selling very well (the initial price was far too high). I've just had it for a couple of weeks but it's a fantastic camera. (I used to use Nikon film SLRs.)

I'm afraid if we start talking D-SLRs we'll get well off topic but as I just made this transition if you want to discuss it feel free to e-mail me.

My Olympus Camedia is a 3000. Have had it about 3 years now. Love it, other than the dumb lens cap, which doesn't have a hangie dealie. But I put on a couple of strips of velcro and voila! problem solved. I used only regular AA batteries and I use the LCD ALOT! I get close to 100 pics out of a set before I get a warning signal that the batteries are low. Then I just switch them out for new ones.

Now it is possible that I was using the rechargeables before that have what someone referred to as "memory" and maybe that's why mine didn't work out so well, but I think I still prefer standard AAs, don't have to worry about bringing along a recharger, etc.

RevNeal said, except I wanted more optical zoom, 10x for the 750 rather than 3?or 4x with 5060.

4x. When I want more -- rarely -- I attach an additional telephoto lens that I bought from Olympus.

The 5060 was an excellent choice of camera, I think it's the best in its class as is the 8080 in its class. My dad uses a 5050 for business use (shared with others at his place of work) and loves it.

I agree. I did a lot of research on a new digital camera. When the 5050 came out I began looking at it. After researching and waiting for a while (I'm timid about spending that kind of money on one item) I borrowed one from a friend and played with it for a couple of days, and thus determined to spend the $$ to buy it. However, just before I was ready to do that the 5060 was announced. So ... I pulled back and waited. After reading a bunch of reviews which compared it to the 5050, I decided to go that direction instead. And, I'm very glad I did ... it's an excellent camera. There are a couple of ways in which the 5050 is superior ... for one thing, the learning curve on the 5060 is higher (with all its manual control buttons!). But, now that I've learned how to run the camera in all modes, I'm happy -- very happy -- with its abilities. The 5050 also processes and stores photos a tad faster than the 5060 ... but so MUCH faster than my 2020 that it's a joke to complain about the half-second difference between the 5050 and the 5060.

For personal use he still uses the old 2020 which was the first digital camera I ever had any experience with. For its time it was as good as it got, today it seems rather pathetic. And it was an expensive camera too - I think he paid about $1000 for it, when it was the latest, greatest thing.

I must have paid $800-$900 for my 2020. It was the top of the line when I bought it, and I have never regretted the purchase. For just everyday photos -- or for photos in conditions that I don't want to risk my 5060 -- the 2020 is an excellent camera. Also, if all I want to do with the photos is upload them to the internet, the 2020 is still overkill ... one has to run the output through photoshop to reduce them so that they're not too large for internet storage and download.

I'm no expert in cameras, nor am I a real photographer (although HAL has bought the rights to two of my photos -- I was in the right place at the right time and they bought them for marketing purposes). I just know what I like, and I photograph what I like. :D And what I like is usually seen from the deck of a HAL cruise ship. :D

This has been a very good digital discussion. We were on the Westerdam Eastern Med cruise in May. We took our Pentax Optio 555 and our 35mm film SLR with 3 different lenses. I took 400 film pictures and about 350 digital. I kept about 400 of the combined pictures for the scrapbook. After the trip I decided to go all digital and just bought the new Nikon D70 digital SLR. This is probably more camera than you need.

The Pentax is 5.0 megapixel with a 5x optical zoom. The SLR is too much to carry around unless you are really into photography. The Pentax will slip into your pocket or purse. It is large enough to hold steady. I have big hands but have no problem using the various buttons and controls.

I would look at the Olympus with the 10x zoom. Some of the older 10x cameras were too bulky. This one looks much better but may not fit into your pocket. The 3x zoom is equivalent to 35mm-105mm, the 5x equals 37mm-187mm and the 10x 38mm-380mm. The nature of the technology makes it difficult to get a very wide angle digital but the 3x and 5x are both very versatile and would cover most travel photo situations. I carried my 300mm lens and hardly used it. I used my 24mm-105mm zoom on the SLR most of the time.

We took two 256 MB memory cards for the Pentax. I'm almost certain the Westerdam's photo shop could download to a cd. I would get a spare battery set and take the recharger along.

Our first digital was an Olympus D460, 1.3 megapixels and 3x optical zoom. It was just fine for travel and family photos. The pixels just keep getting cheaper and they are cheaper than film. All of the digitals come with software. I never really used the Olympus, Pentax of Nikon software. My wife uses Microsoft Picture-It and I use Adobe Photoshop CS.

Check out dpreview.com for digital camera reviews and prices.

...The SLR is too much to carry around unless you are really into photography. The Pentax will slip into your pocket or purse. It is large enough to hold steady. I have big hands but have no problem using the various buttons and controls....

... The nature of the technology makes it difficult to get a very wide angle digital but the 3x and 5x are both very versatile and would cover most travel photo situations. I carried my 300mm lens and hardly used it. I used my 24mm-105mm zoom on the SLR most of the time.

This has been my experience. I always had my SLR with 4 lenses (28mm, 50mm, 24-80 zoom and 28-200 zoom) along with an average of 3 24x rolls per day ranging from ASA100 to ASA 800.

In my last trip to the D Day beaches in France, I had only my digital, a 3.2 mp 3x optical zoom. I missed the wide angle a few times, but the stitch feature served the purpose. The long zooms were better with the digital (I always use a tripod) because, with the 2 second timer, there was no "trigger shake" at all.

Until my DW bought me a digital for Christmas, 2003, I had no interest in digital. Now I'm very happy with the results, not to mention the overall economy and versatility.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I have sent the camera back to Olympus and told them it is unacceptable. Let's see what happens.

I have another question for the experts out there:

Each of my photo files is 700 kb (2048 x 1536 pixels). If I want to E-Mail a photo to a friend, I know I have to re-size the file. My Olympus software only lets me type in a new pixel size. What is the new size I should make this file for ease in E-mailing?

Now if my friend wants to make an actual print of my photo, can he do it even though I have reduced the size? Will he still get a good print?

For that matter, should I resize all my photos to save on storage space? Will that affect the quality of my slide show?

Thanks for your reponses.

Ilene

Image file size depends on several multiple factors. The image is affected by all of these factors. For email purposes the most common file format is JPEG. JPEG compresses the file size but you may lose some image quality. Generally it is fine for emailing a picture and printing it.

You mentioned the physical size or height and width. You can size a picture in inches or pixels. In Photoshop a 1200x1800 pixel will equate to 4" by 6" picture and the file isn't too big to email.

Resolution is another factor. If the picture is just to be viewed on a computer monitor then try a 73 PPI. Most monitors are in the display range of between 72 and 96 pixels per inch. If the image is to be printed then try 300 PPI. A lot of injet printers default to 300 PPI but may even do better at 288 or 266. A range of 266 to 350 is common for printers.

I think I have digested all this great info' Went today to physicaly examine the Olympus D 575 (apparently introduced in April/May) and it seems to be everything that I need as a beginner in digital cameras. I particularly liked the larger LCD screen. I will probably buy a 256mb xd card and a good set of 4 rechargeable AA batteries with charger. A leather case to fit on a belt would be useful also. All these extras really add up on top of the camera price.!!

All your suggestions and ideas have been so helpful, thank you.

Happy cruising.

Travelbug 2.

Hi,

We took 450 pix on 1 256 mb card at medium resolution. this resolution emails quickly (even from the ship's internet cafe). The Internet manager has a card reader for guest use and the photo shop will burn a CD from your memory card for $14.95. We just got back Saturday so this info is current, at least for the Rotterdam.

We did take a spare battery but mostly recharged through the camera dock. We have a 4 megapixel Kodak LS. We didn't even use the spare 128mb card we brought but do bring a spare card and battery. Card readers are good if you have your laptop with you. Otherwise the Internet manager is a great resource. Thanks, John!

GN

I bought a Kodak easy share 6440 camera about 3 months ago after owning an HP digital camera for about 3 years. It came with a 'dock' that charges the battery and transfers the pictures/movies to the computer.

It has a lot of neat features that my old HP camera didn't have. It records movies, which can be as long as you want--as long as you have the available memory. It takes SD cards, and when I bought my camera there was a special where a 128 mb card came with it for free.

It has a variety of 'automatic' settings--such as close up photography, sports, twilight, portrait, Landscape (distant scenery), and then a manual setting. It also has 'burst' pictures, where it takes 6 pictures in a row. It has a nice zoom (optical and digital), takes 2 AA batteries (I have the Kodak rechargables), also has a cord that can plug your camera into the AV jacks of a TV so you can view the pictures/movies on the TV. There are 3 modes for taking pictures--sepia, b/w and color. Other features are that you can turn off the auto-review/live preview so you can save on battery juice.

I have 4 memory cards (2 are 256 mb, 2 are 128 mb)...totalling over 1300 pictures at the 2 star level (there is a 1 star, a 2 star, a 3 star 'good' and a 3 star max, which is the 4 megapixel level). I also have 4 rechargable batteries, a rapid battery charger. I don't plan on running out of room, can you tell?!!!

I do suggest getting a neckstrap for your camera. I found one for binoculars (Allen brand) at a Walmart store for a good price. I removed the wrist strap and replaced it with the neck strap. I'm always in fear of dropping my camera.

Hope this helps. My last cruise I took a 35 mm camera because I knew my HP camera couldn't handle it. Even though the 35 mm battery lasted the whole time, I had to constantly switch out rolls of film, which wasted precious moments during sunset shots. (we went to Hawaii 10/03 on MS Statendam.)

Each of my photo files is 700 kb (2048 x 1536 pixels). If I want to E-Mail a photo to a friend, I know I have to re-size the file. My Olympus software only lets me type in a new pixel size. What is the new size I should make this file for ease in E-mailing?

Now if my friend wants to make an actual print of my photo, can he do it even though I have reduced the size? Will he still get a good print?

For that matter, should I resize all my photos to save on storage space? Will that affect the quality of my slide show?

Thanks for your reponses.

Ilene

Ilene, I'm not an expert on digital camera photography, (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night--:p)....but I've been taking digital pictures for a few years now.

Does your camera computer software let you automatically change the proportion resizing? In other words, when you change one number, does the other number change automatically? I have this feature with Paint Shop Pro--it'll resize a photo either by percentage (75%) or pixel number. It's called 'aspect ratio'. If it does, you can bring it down to about 1/4 the size. (which would be 512x384) That should be small enough to email quickly. He should be able to get a good print out of that--depends on how good of a printer he has as well.

Resizing your photos will make room on your camera's card. Here's an idea--maybe playing with some of the settings on your camera for picture quality might help as well. For example, on my Kodak camera, I have a choice of 4 settings. The first one is a 1 star setting. (1.1 MP), then it's 2 star (2.1 MP), 3 stars (3:2) which is 3.5 MP, and finally 3 stars (4 MP) Each star takes up more memory on your card, but the quality goes up quite a bit. Personally, I keep mine on the 2 star rating, which according to my user guide describes 2 star:

Printing up to 8x10 inch; pictures are medium resolution with smaller file size
As far as your slide show, less quality (less stars in my case) means that some of the details might not be crisp. I would suggest take a picture of something, change the setting of the picture quality, and take the same picture--experiment if you can, and then you can personally be the judge of how good of a slide show it'll be.

My brother, who used to be a photographer in the US Navy, is into details--he has a trained eye, so he maxes out each quality photo whenever he can. He also takes a LOT of photos of one thing with the digital camera, because he CAN! He said the other day he took over 130 pictures of his cat lounging in the sunshine of their new home. He'll keep the ones which are good, and delete the rest.

Hope this helps and enjoy the picture taking! :)

Archived