I know, I know... it's a VERY basic question:

Swice

I've seen this information a million times posted over the years but have never paid any attention to it and now can't find it.

Sailing on "Z" next spring out of FLL.

What are my options with a family of four from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale port?

American Airlines has a great sale going on right now so I need to analyze if the money I save would be eaten up by taxi/shuttle (not to mention time).

I've seen this information a million times posted over the years but have never paid any attention to it and now can't find it.

Sailing on "Z" next spring out of FLL.

What are my options with a family of four from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale port?

American Airlines has a great sale going on right now so I need to analyze if the money I save would be eaten up by taxi/shuttle (not to mention time).

This does not answer your question but fyi - If you can get a priced flight to Ft Lauderdale the port is approximately 10 minutes from the airport.

All the best

Here's something you can check out:

http://www.miami-shuttle.com/

They are showing $75 for a group of four from Miami Airport to Port Everglades. Not sure how that would compare to a taxi fare. At least a shuttle is a set amount and wouldn't be affected by heavy traffic, construction, etc. I have also seen private shuttle services listed on the boards over the years but didn't make a note of them.

Someone on the Carnival or RCCL boards may have more information. They seem to have more people who shuttle back and forth between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami on a regular basis.

When we sailed out of Fort Lauderdale we flew in a day early (we are on the West coast, so just to make sure we didn't miss the boat we flew in a day early). We found a hotel that had a free shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from the cruise port. If you are planning on staying the night before, it may be worth looking into. While I wouldn't recommend that particular hotel (although it may have improved since then) there may be others that offer a similar service and it won't cost you anything more than tips to transfer from the airport to the port.

Liz has the best solution IMO. We have done it both ways and I prefer to fly into FLL vs. MIA. We took the shuttle from MIA to FLL and it was very long and stopped often at many hotels. It was interesting to see some of the posh condo's tho.

If you can't fly into FLL, then the taxi is probably the best solution for you.

Griswalds

This does not answer your question but fyi - If you can get a priced flight to Ft Lauderdale the port is approximately 10 minutes from the airport.

All the best

I would rather fly out of Fort Lauderdale, but if the air deal was that much better, I would take a cab to/from Miami airport. On our next flight home,we decided the money was worth it. Also, if I left out of Fort Lauderdale I would have to wait until 7pm for a straight flight home. Thats a long time to spend in the airport and I would be spending money anyway. The flight I have booked out of Miami gets me home hours before the Fort Lauderdale flight even takes off.

Getting from Miami to Port Everglades can not only be expensive BUT as importantly very time consuming

Miami is one of the busiest airports in the country and is a major Hub for American since it is the gateway not only for the Carribean but also for South America

just getting from your plane to luggage can be an adventure in terms of distance and crowds

Ft. Lauderdale is a fraction of the problem

cost: depends on taxi vs. car with driver .. there's usually no problem getting a taxi outside American .. the problem is distance and time to Ft. Lauderdale or Port Everglades .. depending on time of day and what day of the week you're travelling, it can take as much as an hour or more to get to the Port with a charge on the meter of approximately $70-$80

I've done the "land and leave from Miami" option more than once; if at all possible, I'd try for Ft. Lauderdale

if I don't see Miami International for a long long long super long time, it will be fine with me:)

if not successful getting a flight into Ft. Lauderdale, I'd try a car company for price vs. a taxi

the distance from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport is 15-20 minutes or less

the cost: about $12.00 with a tip

We have done this both ways several times. Fly into Ft Lauderdale and sail from Miami and vice-versa. We are a family of five so it is usually difficult getting a taxi. We have used a van taxi before but have found a much better alternative. Check out limo prices. Usually a taxi is going to run you about $70.00. We have always been able to reserve a limo ahead of time for usually $75.00. Plenty of room for all of you and your luggage. It has been a while (2 years) so prices could have gone up.

I do have to admit, sometimes, it has not been worth the hassle to save only a few dollars so weigh the difference in airfare very carefully. The closest airport to the port, if flying in the day of, is always preferable. We are fortunate to live in Atlanta so we can usually always find a reasonable airfare at some point leading up to the cruise. Keep your eyes and ears open and you never know what you may happen upon.

Yes, we've sailed from both ports... and always flown into the airport closest to the port.

Hands down-- Fort Lauderdale airport / port is the BEST option.

I had just stumbled upon that American / US Airways sale to Miami for $59/each way.

Ft. Lauderdale is roughly $200 round trip.

Oh well, certainly there will be a sale to Ft. Lauderdale between now and March 31st.

Swice,

I realize it doesn't matter in terms of your question, but which "Z" are you sailing?

Given the Itinerary and time of year it's almost certainly the Zuiderdam ... the Zaandam is in the Pacific. However, it is a good point ... there is more than one "Z" in the fleet, so people shouldn't just call them by their first letter. :)

Given the Itinerary and time of year it's almost certainly the Zuiderdam ... the Zaandam is in the Pacific. However, it is a good point ... there is more than one "Z" in the fleet, so people shouldn't just call them by their first letter. :)

I wasn't even thinking... sorry!

Archived