Auckland Hotel Recommendations

mike35

Our TA booked us into the Carlton Hotel for a pre-cruise stay in Auckland. Reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, however, I find ratings ranging from 1 star (out of 5) to five stars. We prefer 5-star properties close to major attractions, so I'm asking for advice on a possible alternative to the Carlton. Does anyone have experience with the Stamford Plaza? It, too, has reviews that are all over the place. Sigh....

Thanks

Mike

If it was good enough for my favorite prez, Clinton, then it's certainly good enough for us! Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike:)

Another hotel that has been recomended on CC is the Langham, also in central Auckland. I have not stayed there myself [have stayed at the Stamford Plaza on the Rolls Royce Centenery World Tour and it was fine]. Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Stayed at the Stamford Plaza five yeras ago. I remember that Clinton had stayed there when he was president. Without hesitation I would stay there again.

the stampford plaza is closed at the moment due to renovations...the Langholm...(the old Shereton) is great though a bit of a walk from the harbour and the Viaduct...the Carlton is great...well situated in the middle of town. I use Trip Advisor all the time., without exception there have always been negative comments about particular hotels Ive wanted to stay at and without exception., ive found most of the complaints to be exagerrated or irrelevant to my stay., well in my experience anyway. I would take the reviews with a grain of salt, its always easier for people write and complain than it is to take the time to compliment. There is a very nice Boutique hotels here in Ponsonby, Auckland if you would like soem further recomendations.......roscoe

If you are staying in Auk pre cruise, and if the budget allows, stay at the Hilton

This hotel is actually on the same wharf(pier) as where the cruise boats dock. If you have a eastern side room you can almost touch the ship!

Staying there will minimise any embarkation problems. We were there in Feb 2005 and saw first hand how the patrons of the hotel seemed well looked after.

Post cruise is a different issue - depends on what you want to do and how much time you have (and of course budget).

cheers

Archived