Prudhoe Bay?

cjnky

Is it worth a sidetrip? (family debate going on this subject) To me, it looks like an awfully long drive! Thanks for any info!

I have been twice. First trip-flew with a local cargo company to Bettles, some village to deliver mail and some summer interns, then on to Prudhoe , spent two days in Prudhoe, then hired Northern Alaska to get us back to Fairbanks. Great trip, but pricey. Takes a full 2 days driving each way. Don't expect much for accomodations-both Coldfoot and Prudhoe are motels which at one time were construction (pipeline) housing. VERY clean, but very spartan.

The second time we drove both ways and chartered a plane in Prudhoe to fly to ANWR. DO NOT drive this yourself unless you are very mechanical and can "make do" with whatever you have available. There are no close tow or repair services almost anyplace on the Dalton. You will most likely wait anywhere from 4-8 hours for help. We own a logistics/trucking company and each of us have driven commercial vehicles more than 2 million accident free miles. Even with this background, it is a long drive AND our rental car still broke down. Thank goodness, DH doesn't leave home ANYPLACE without minimum tools and "make do" stuff-duct tape, wire, hose wraps and fix a flat. The alternator bracket broke. He was able to fix it easily, but if you don't have the ability or the tools, it will make for a miserable trip. Leave the driving to someone else.

Prudhoe itself is very industrial. The pipelines, pump stations, etc. don't interest most women. Both times we were there, there was a Princess tour there also. I thought the BP presentation was EXCELLENT (but only if you are interested in that kind of stuff) There were only 5 men and NO women from the Princess tour at the presentation (about 35 people total on the tour). It was really a waste of their time to take the tour-I kept thinking 'why spend all that money and not participate'. And then when we got on the bus to actually tour the oil fields, only a few of the women went, almost all the guys. And even some of the guys were complaining-like I said, it is VERY industrial. Not a sightseeing tour and nothing like going to one of the dam tours (Glen Canyon, Hoover) which are pretty industrial. I found the entire thing fascinating but that's just me.

The driving trip up or down from Prudhoe takes two days, whether you drive yourself or take Northern Alaska's tour.. Lots of wildlike (the muskox herd is huge and they are very close to the road), the Ranger presentation in Coldfoot is EXCELLENT. On Northern Alaska tours the first day you have a picnic in the middle of nowhere, under the pipeline. The picnic included fancy table clothes, bug spray, wine. Pretty darn fancy picnic and it was really great.

All in all I would do it again, either tour or drive, any time I got the opportunity. But I do not recommend anyone driving themselves unless they are VERY confident of their driving and survival skills.

Greatam - my husband is great with repairs - but I can't see him packing his regular fix-it kit to fly to Alaska:D I really appreciate your information.

NancyIl - that's a great site - Prudhoe is definitely out now after reading about the accomodations: "There are private toilet and shower stalls in separate men's and women's facilities that are shared among guests." I don't want to get quite THAT rustic! But I found a one-day "Native Culture" tour there that is definitely going to be taken into serious consideration.

Thanks again!

Greatam - my husband is great with repairs - but I can't see him packing his regular fix-it kit to fly to Alaska:D I really appreciate your information.

NancyIl - that's a great site - Prudhoe is definitely out now after reading about the accomodations: "There are private toilet and shower stalls in separate men's and women's facilities that are shared among guests." I don't want to get quite THAT rustic! But I found a one-day "Native Culture" tour there that is definitely going to be taken into serious consideration.

Thanks again!

The Native Culture day trip is the one that most interested me, because of the additional flight to Anaktuvuk Pass. Now that I'm fine-tuning trip plans, we probably won't spend much if any time in Fairbanks - so an Arctic Circle trip will have to wait for another visit to Alaska.

Well, IMHO and having been there (flying in and out the same day), I wouldn't go again. It's industrial, the land is flat, and unless you have an "in" with someone in the oil industry, you probably won't see everything - you probably still don't see everything, but you see more. We were there over Memorial Day weekend and everything was white - snow, white fog, etc. At least we were ahead of the mosquitoes.

There are lots of great places to visit in Alaska, such as Homer, an out-of-the- way place, but absolutely beautiful. Nancy

Agreed. Prudhoe is an industrial site with little to offer the casual visitor unless you are into oil drilling and recovery. Furthermore, security is much tighter now since 9/11 and you don't have open access to the area.

I'd recommend a visit to Nome, Kotzebue, or Barrow if you want to head up north; Kotzebue and Barrow are both good places for native culture and Nome has the history of a famous gold rush. One of the best places for native culture is the Alaska Native Heritage Center here in Anchorage. Consider it a living museum.

However, I too endorse the trip to Homer and the Kenai Peninsula or perhaps a drive to Valdez with a return to Whittier on the state ferry. Either is worth your time.

My DD, SIL and I did the Princess Cruisetour last year (2005) that included a trip to Prudhoe Bay. We loved it. We all thought it was the highlight of our trip. We had a two day bus ride up the Dalton Highway with plenty of stops to see the sights, and eat. The tour guides are wonderful. Nothing boring about the trip at all. Of course we stopped at the Arctic Circle.

We stayed over night at Coldfoot Camp . The next morning we left for Prudhoe Bay.. My SIL took a "dip" in the Arctic Ocean. We had a brief tour of the oil field, but I think one of the reasons we wanted to go was to get as far north in Alaska as we could.

We flew back from Prudhoe Bay to Anchorage the next afternoon, and got to see Denali up close.

The trip to Prudhoe Bay was a once in a lifetime trip for us, (though I'm sure I'll get back to Alaska) I'm so glad we did it. It gets you to a part of Alaska you'll never see otherwise.

Something you will find hard to believe. The sign at the Arctic Circle is EXACTLY like the sign in Tierra del Fuego, South America. Both yellow and brown, both the same design. The sign in Tierra del Fuego has the mileage to Alaska on it. In 2002, I had superimposed the two signs and was amazed. If I can find the picture, I will post it. In August 2003, we ran into a guy that we had seen in South America in Homer. He had ridden his bike from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska. He, too, agreed that the signs were almost identical. Amazing!!!

Great pics Momj47!

Next question - has anyone done the nature tour to Anaktuvuk Pass?

I've been to Anaktuvuk Pass, just way superior flightseeing in this direction vs, up the Dalton. Have gone on cargo runs, which really give you an excellent look at local life, superior to any "tour". :)

Archived