Do You Stop Participating? Reading and/or Writing?

sail7seas

I read, understand, and appreciate your statements.

And, obviously from Catnip's clarification, my objection is dropped. :)

It's that general level of civility, intelligence, and respect for others that has kept me coming back to this board, even though it's been nearly two years since I last cruised on HAL. I just returned from a cruise on another line and while preparing for it spent a lot of time on its CC board. The level of discussion there should have prepared me for the general level of gussied-up mediocrity that I found on what is considered a star of that line. Sometimes I'd just drop in here for better discourse, not to mention better humor. And now, of course, I realize that my next cruise, where and whenever, will be on HAL, so I have a better excuse for visiting.;)

I read the same thread as you, but I came away from it with a totally different opinion of it...the OP was attacked and was accused of trolling for giving a not so spectacular review of a cruise. The OP came responded after having been attacked for not coming back to the thread. My point is, I find it interesting that (supposedly) we read the same thread and we have two TOTALLY different opinions of it.

Bonstersd: I infered it the same way as you did. There were some posts that made her defensive and she responded accordingly.

I was thinking about this thread last night and another thought came to mind that I think bears mentioning.

The truth is if we came to this board and everyone always agreed with each other ... and everyone just happily did doc dances and talked about how wonderful HAL is, the board would become very boring in very short order.

So what some might perceive as negative is often simply not their point of view. Yet it's the very discussion about some of these issues that help so many people. Sort of a "we report, you decide" kind of thing.;)

So I don't think it's the "negativity" (perception) so much as the out and out nastiness and back biting that goes on that's a turn-off.

JMO:)

I was thinking about this thread last night and another thought came to mind that I think bears mentioning.

The truth is if we came to this board and everyone always agreed with each other ... and everyone just happily did doc dances and talked about how wonderful HAL is, the board would become very boring in very short order.

So what some might perceive as negative is often simply not their point of view. Yet it's the very discussion about some of these issues that help so many people. Sort of a "we report, you decide" kind of thing.;)

So I don't think it's the "negativity" (perception) so much as the out and out nastiness and back biting that goes on that's a turn-off.

JMO:)

Good point Ma'am!:)

This Board, like all others, goes in spurts of negativity from time to time, I think.

Do you find that if there are many negative posts and there is lots of complaining you find yourself reading the Board less and posting less? Or does it make no difference to you whether the mood seems to be in a more positive or negative phase?

Above is the the Original post.... as of today there have been 103 replies and 1,740 views

therefore....

I think that the majority of people who visit CC will read and post no matter what the "mood" is :D

Above is the the Original post.... as of today there have been 103 replies and 1,740 views

therefore....

I think that the majority of people who visit CC will read and post no matter what the "mood" is :D

Well, they'll read anyway!! Not sure about the posting. With only 103 posts and 1,740 views, that's 1 in 16, right?

That's a 6% post rate on a thread that has kept a very civil tone. So I'm wondering what our conclusion should really be.

Maybe the conclusion really is that more people post when a thread gets dicey!:D

Archived