SO disheartened. Think I might cancel !!!

judyush

Thanks everyone for adding your two pennyworth. I can see both sides to the argument. And i'm sure that Galaxy is showing wear and tear but enough to make me cancel my booking? Well i was tired and emotional when i posted l last night.

I have re-read all the reviews and once again have gotten all excited. It is so easy to be swayed by the views of others. We have decided to stick with this cruise and find out for ourselves just what Celebrity is all about.

We are quite easy going people. Not overly bothered by flashy cruise ships. But we do expect a certain standard of furbishment. CLASS over FLASH every time. However good service and quality food are high on our agenda and there seems to be no question that these are dished out in abundance on the Galaxy.

Once again thankyou to all who have contributed and i'm sure I will be calling on all of you again at some point to draw on your knowledge and past experiences. Judy

I have re-read all the reviews and once again have gotten all excited. It is so easy to be swayed by the views of others. We have decided to stick with this cruise and find out for ourselves just what Celebrity is all about.

We are quite easy going people. Not overly bothered by flashy cruise ships. But we do expect a certain standard of furbishment. CLASS over FLASH every time. However good service and quality food are high on our agenda and there seems to be no question that these are dished out in abundance on the Galaxy.

Nice to hear that you are all pumped again about your decision! Truly, only you can determine what makes a great cruise for you.

Opinions on many things, including cruises, are so subjective. You took the right approach and researched well and then made your decision based on your priorities.

I hope you post back after your cruise and let us all know what you thought.

Humor me and prove to me and the OP that the whirlpools, the thalossatherapy pool, and the roof at the rear pool are in perfect working order. Show me something that says the Galaxy has not been sailing with fogged windows in the stratosphere lounge for the past few years. These are all simple items that demonstrate the complete unwillingness of Celebrity to maintain this ship.

Well, a little quick research shows me, at least, that the sky is NOT falling contrary to what you say. While these examples do not specifically mention whirlppols, roofs, and windows, they do show that people recently had a perfectly good Galaxy experience. Take it all in:

Hi Everyone!

I just got back from my trip on the Galaxy, and to sum it up in a word...FANTASTIC!!! I am still on Rome time and it is is about 3am there, so I will post more specifics in the next few days.

Mindi

From this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7681605

Also from the same thread:

Delighted to hear it. With all the complaints about beds, service etc on Galaxy I thought there was something wrong with me for liking it so much!

And this from another recent Galaxy cruiser:

Hi everyone!

Just got back from a 10 night Western Med cruise on Galaxy and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the ship & ports. Here’s a rundown on what we did & our observations.

ABOUT THE SHIP:

We stayed in room 1241' date=' Concierge Class w/ a Balcony. The stateroom was beautiful and the balcony was wonderful. We did use the balcony quite a bit – for room service in the morning, and to enjoy a pre-drink cocktail and the canapés they give CC a few hours before dinner (while watching sunsets no less)! It’s also nice to be able to see the sea in the mornings or late evenings from the privacy of your own room rather than have to get dressed and go up on deck with all the other passengers. Is Concierge Class worth it? Well, it depends – the canapés are nice but you can certainly get better food elsewhere on the ship, but we did very much enjoy the early disembarkation at the ports rather than wait in long lines, and the service was excellent. We felt it was definitely worth the extra we paid. As for the ship itself, you have to look very hard to see any of the imperfections, which are minor. I don’t understand the postings I’ve read here that mention the poor condition of the ship – it looked great to us.

[/quote']

You can find more information about their cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=228663&highlight=Galaxy+western+med

Touche'

ps. I agree with Drew. Voicing a differing opinion is not flaming. There are two sides to every coin. Just be sure and look at both sides before making your decision.

Humor me and prove to me and the OP that the whirlpools, the thalossatherapy pool, and the roof at the rear pool are in perfect working order. Show me something that says the Galaxy has not been sailing with fogged windows in the stratosphere lounge for the past few years. These are all simple items that demonstrate the complete unwillingness of Celebrity to maintain this ship.

When we cruised on Galaxy the windows in the lounge were fogged and the roof over the rear pool did not close and we couldn't have cared less. To each his own. I'm sorry that roof bothered you so much as to affect the quality of your cruise. It had ZERO impact on mine. I'm sorry that the fogged windows in the Stratosphere lounge were such a distraction. The windows had ZERO impact on either of my cruises.

We had breakfast by the rear pool almost every morning and thoroughly it enjoyed each day. BTW, the waffles are great!

During our two Galaxy cruises we spent a total of perphaps 45 minutes in the Stratosphere lounge during the Cruise Critic parties. I never even noticed the windows. When we went to the lounge in the evening its dark outside and you can't see out anyway. After we got back from our cruise, someone posted pics of the windows, I was so glad I didn’t notice because it certainly would have ruined my cruise.

When we cruised on Galaxy, I slept like a baby. Never had a problem.

The T-pool does bother me.

No doubt your experience was totally the opposite of mine as we immensely enjoyed our past Galaxy cruises. We fully expect to thoroughly enjoy our upcoming Galaxy cruise as well. If the T-pool is closed, I’ll probably book a massage and make lemonade

Every week, almost 1800 people have great cruise vacations on Galaxy. Some small percentage do not. It's most likely due to those darn windows in the lounge and that roof over the aft pool.

Judyush, you have a great cabin booked and I’d be willing to bet you’ll enjoy your galaxy cruise.

Thanks everyone for adding your two pennyworth. I can see both sides to the argument. And i'm sure that Galaxy is showing wear and tear but enough to make me cancel my booking? Well i was tired and emotional when i posted l last night.

Once again thankyou to all who have contributed and i'm sure I will be calling on all of you again at some point to draw on your knowledge and past experiences. Judy

Good for you! You'll find that on these boards that it's best to look at as many reviews as possible when deciding what ship or line to cruise. It also helps sometimes to look at the posting history of anyone who is either too pro or against a particular ship or cruise line. For example, if you look at the history of "pecoraro"'s posts, you will see that he (or she) seems to be on a mission to bash Celebrity at every chance. At thesame time there are also some who always support Celebrity. I find that if you throw out the highs & lows, you'll get a more accurate picture of the real world of a Celebrity cruise.

Have a great cruise!!

That the roof over the aft pool was retractible. I just thought it was an indoor pool. Also, for every fogged window in the lounge, there were several unfogged windows. Since I was off the ship the majority time during daylight hours, the windows did not effect me one bit. On the days I played trivia in the lounge, the windows still did not detract from my cruise experience.

Go, see for yourself, and do not worry about the little things. You will have a wonderful time. Great food, great crew!:)

reklawr.....Roy you DO make me laugh. If I meet folk like you on this holiday then I couldnt give a fig about the furnishings, the pool roof or the misty windows.

Maybe its the British reserve but our philosophy is

"we dont complain we just dont come back"

Listening to people banging on and on about endless problems on the ship I began to worry things were really bad. But I dont think they are.

I'm going to enjoy this cruise. I just KNOW it. Judy

I'm going to enjoy this cruise. I just KNOW it. Judy

That's the POSITIVE attitude!:D I like that attitude :D

If you have a bummer of a time on Galaxy, I'll send you money for a martini on your next cruise on Princess or what ever cruise line you cruise.:cool:

It's important to know what your "dealbreakers" are. Obviously, you should not sail Galaxy, as you would be very unhappy with the experience. The information on this thread has served a useful purpose. Others who have sailed this ship, though, have said that they barely noticed these issues, and it didn't affect their enjoyment at all. Obviously fogged windows or a retractable roof not functioning are not deal breakers for them.

Drew,

You have made a very good point about the "dealbreakers". I think that is the big difference between the views expressed on this board. When I see things like that going I just can't help wondering what else, that I can't see, is maintained in the same fashion. I think there are far too many cruise lines that do care about these kind of things and realize that their passengers also care! While I respect the right of many to feel that these things are not important, it does help me to understand why things continue to remain the way they are. Our differences is what makes the world so interesting.

Hi Judy - sorry to disillusion you!! I am British - English back to William of Orange!!

And oh boy, am I complaining to Celebrity!!! Their product is generally very good - but if a problem does occur (nothing is perfect) their Customer Disservice Department is appalling!! I am an English Bulldog - tenacious!!

Enjoy your cruise!! Some of the older ships are not as glitzy as the new ones, but have more atmosphere and finesse!! If you go with the right attitude - determined to enjoy it, you will!!

Our differences is what makes the world so interesting.

You're telling me! Probably the single thing I hated most about my Celebrity cruise was the waiters who carry your tray in the buffet. I found them to be annoying and in the way as they stood around "helping" people and blocking traffic. However, other people consider that a GOOD thing about Celebrity. It got to the point where I pretty much avoided the buffet entirely, and ate either in the dining room, the spa cafe, or room service. If an enjoyable buffet was a dealbreaker to me, I'd never cruise Celebrity again... Fortunately, it's not.

You're telling me! Probably the single thing I hated most about my Celebrity cruise was the waiters who carry your tray in the buffet. I found them to be annoying and in the way as they stood around "helping" people and blocking traffic. However, other people consider that a GOOD thing about Celebrity. It got to the point where I pretty much avoided the buffet entirely, and ate either in the dining room, the spa cafe, or room service. If an enjoyable buffet was a dealbreaker to me, I'd never cruise Celebrity again... Fortunately, it's not.

Drew, You are right about those waiters tying up the buffet area! Those other LITTLE points about broken equipment, fogged windows and poor maintenance are nothing compared to the "waiter problem".

[quote name='cruiser2004']Drew, You are right about those waiters tying up the buffet area! Those other LITTLE points about broken equipment, fogged windows and poor maintenance are nothing compared to the "waiter problem".[/quote]

I haven't sailed the Galaxy, so I don't know how I would feel about her problems. The Summit (with the obvious HUGE exception of the pod issue) was in fantastic shape. The only issue I saw with a window was the window in the sauna in the men's locker room (and I imagine with the temperature differential, that is pretty unmaintainable, and is instead a design flaw, but I was glad to be able to watch the ocean while in the sauna, even if it was prone to condensation). Otherwise, I thought the maintenance of the ship was excellent.

[quote name='Wilcoam']Judyrush...

Not sure why you'd be out the $200 pounds if your're simply switching cruises, as you are so far in advance, there should be no cancellation fee?

Here in the UK we loose our deposit if we have to cancel more than 56 days out. After 56 days you pay a percentage of the total price of the cruise.

Had to chuckle at 2ladies Englishness, William of Orange was Dutch :)

We were on the Galaxy in the Med this summer and they are making refurbishments. We talked to the future cruise consultant who told us they have been and will be making changes to the ship. Just before we sailed they laid new carpeting in a few of the lounges and were changing the bedding on our cruise. Sometime after our cruise they were going to be bringing in new chairs for the lounges. She said it has been exciting for her and the crew because of all the refurbishments that have been taking place.

Of course, the windows in the lounge are still foggy. She said the ship will be in drydock early next year when things such as windows will be replaced, the retrackable roof will be fixed and so on.

We had an awsome time. The food was great. You could have not asked for better service from the waiters and cabin crew. Everything was kept spotless.

Enjoy!

Elaine - yus - my ancestors were Dutch, came over with ol' Wilyum - and lo and behold, became nice little Engerlishmen!! And women of course!! So we are Ingerlish a long way back. Which is why my posts are all in double dutch!!!!

Well, to add my bit to the waiters taking trays. It actually IS nice for elderly people. And its polite. And its part of the Celebrity Treatment. If you want the Celebrity treatment of course - just be picky about which bits you go for!! Avoid Customer Service:eek: !!!

[quote name='2ladies']Well, to add my bit to the waiters taking trays. [B]It actually IS nice for elderly people. [/B]And its polite. And its part of the Celebrity Treatment. If you want the Celebrity treatment of course - just be picky about which bits you go for!! Avoid Customer Service:eek: !!![/quote]

You know what's REALLY nice for elderly people? Sitting in the dining room and being waited on! Seriously, though, if the waiters are needed, they should stand in a little holding area out of the flow of traffic, and they shouldn't attempt to help until the person has FINISHED selecting their food. The waiter can then step in, take the tray, and carry it to the table. What I can't stand is the waiters all standing around the buffet, holding the trays and blocking traffic while the person contines to add food to it. Meanwhile, everybody else is unable to get to the food OR to their tables!:mad:

You know what's REALLY nice for elderly people? Sitting in the dining room and being waited on! Seriously, though, if the waiters are needed, they should stand in a little holding area out of the flow of traffic, and they shouldn't attempt to help until the person has FINISHED selecting their food. The waiter can then step in, take the tray, and carry it to the table. What I can't stand is the waiters all standing around the buffet, holding the trays and blocking traffic while the person contines to add food to it. Meanwhile, everybody else is unable to get to the food OR to their tables!:mad:

We ate in the Buffet several times for breakfast or lunch. We never encountered any problem with the waiters blocking traffic or taking trays before people were done taking food.:rolleyes: The waiters were always stationed near the steps going up to the eating area, but they never seemed to be blocking egress or ingress. They were never pushy or aggressive about taking trays from people. They would politely offer to help someone with a tray if that person appeared to need help, but I certainly would not call their actions rude. We always appreciated their helpfulness, even though we really didn't use them to carry our trays for us.:) We figured it's their job to help and assist the passengers, and that is exactly what they were doing.:rolleyes:

Please excuse me, I thought DrewB was pulling my leg about the waiters carrying trays and clogging up the buffet area, when he quoted my post. My post # 51 was meant to be facetious. Actually I think the waiters carrying trays is a nice touch and I wish all cruise lines offered it. My apologies to 2ladies, scorpiojem and DrewB for the misunderstanding.

Pecoraro, Your last post (#59) was excellent and summed up the problem. If only the right people from Celebrity would read it.

I have only been cruising a few years- because I didn't think I'd like cruises--really love grand resort destinations. But, did the Galaxy out of Baltimore in 2004-- loved it so much did it again that same year. I thought it was a very classy ship- wonderful dining room, the most delicious food & impeccable service. Loved the Stratosphere up front-- and thought the ship had a really good flow to it. Unfortunately, Galaxy set the bar very high! Have cruised NCL- couldn't hold a candle-- and then RCCL Grandeur 2x..ok but not Galaxy. We just did Zenith-- that ship was a complete waste of time & money-- it was a motel 6 in my book-- and we paid Ritz prices in June to Bermuda. How anyone could even compare Zenith with Galaxy is utterly ridiculous. Zenith is a disgrace.

I believe Judyush has received the responses they were looking for and thanked everyone for their responses. As I close this thread, I once again remind everyone that posts should respond to a question, not to a person. PLEASE do not make your responses personal attacks of any kind.

Archived