Is Your First Cruise Usually Your Favorite?

Clutterlady

Just wondering how most people feel about their first cruise? I've cruised years ago and last year finally convinced my wonderful dh to try a cruise. He equated a cruise to the time spent onboard an aircraft carrier while in the Navy! Didn't want to hear anything about spending 7 or more days on the water. Well, some very dear friends of ours convince him he would love a cruise and we ended up on the Golden Princess last year. Needless to say, he enjoyed it very much:p :p

I would like to try other cruise lines like we did this year on NCL, because our Star cruise was canceled due to the fire. Well, he can't understand why we would want to try other lines since he loved Princess and why be disappointed like he was on NCL. Now let me say, I also felt "at home" on Princess, but would like to try the other main stream lines. He's fighting me the whole way (not that that's bad!) Can't belive someone who couldn't imagine being on a cruise ship (would rather be camping in the middle of the woods), feels this strongly?? Is it the first cruise syndrome?? ;)

Hmmm, I'm not by any means a cruise-expert, and having only 3 cruises under my belt, I would say that my first cruise, Carnival Fantasy, is my favorite cruise as far as the cruising concept goes . . . we took the 4-day sailing because we didn't know if we'd like it. We loved it! We then stayed with Carnival and went on the Paradise . . . we loved that, then we changed to RCI and we loved that, next, DH and I are on the Crown . . .

I guess the first cruise is what hooks you, so, IMHO yes, your first cruise is your favorite, but I would say that the concept of cruising is what your favorite is -- you can't have a favorite until you try different kinds. :p

Now, if that response doesn't confuse anyone . . . (after re-reading it, it almost confuses me :confused: - LOL).

We loved it ! But then again it was one hell of a unique destination...will NEVER forget the ENTIRE 13 or 14 days.Was there in the middle of a fire for one thing.But what a land that is, truely "The Last Frontier".

Now as far as cruising is concerned, each one is worth counting down 400 days...I get the greatest joy out of researching,planning then sailing. Each cruise is special and I do believe will always be.

CIAO,

We loved it ! But then again it was one hell of a unique destination...will NEVER forget the ENTIRE 13 or 14 days.Was there in the middle of a fire for one thing.But what a land that is, truely "The Last Frontier".

Now as far as cruising is concerned, each one is worth counting down 400 days...I get the greatest joy out of researching,planning then sailing. Each cruise is special and I do believe will always be.

CIAO,

Is Your First Cruise Usually Your Favorite?

Short Answer: My 'next" cruise is my favorite.

Long Answer: We are coming up on cruise number three in December. I was probably like your husband, had little desire to go on a cruise until I booked one a year and a half ago. Loved it and hope to do one a year in the future.

We began on Royal Caribbean for no other reason than sailing dates (we had a very limited window of time available). We had a great experience with them, but sailed with Princess last April, based on itinerary and price and had a great experience with them. We sail with Princess again in December, driven mostly by itinerary and again time frame (wife is a teacher, so vacation times are set times of the year).

So for us, while the first cruise experience hooked us on cruising, it did not tie us to a particular line. I like the idea of building up loyalty, and the associated "benefits", by sailing with one cruiseline, but for us, it is primarily itinerary/price and misc. factors (kids are beyond the Disney years for example) that drives our choice. I would also note that you can vary your experience by choosing different size ships. By the end of cruise three, we will have been on, for lack of a better description, small, medium and large ships. Each has a slightly different feel to them.

Good luck and whatever you choose, you will have fun.

My first is definitely not my favorite!! Every cruise has gotten better and better!!! Our first cruise was in 95 for our Honeymoon on the Majesty of the Seas. Boy was that ship cramped feeling in comparison to the Grand Class Princess ships. We're looking the Crown for March and I can say without hesitation that that one will be my "next" favorite!!

My first cruise was not the best because we were in a regular balcony state room - too small for the hubby - he wants to "spread out" - have been in a suite every cruise since - can't beat it.

Why not stay with Princess if you both enjoyed it? If you really feel the pull to try another ship - go with Celebrity of HAL - NCL may leave a sour taste in your husbands mouth and he may be reluctant to cruise again.

No offense, just my opinion from personal experience.

It was many years before my DH and I decided to try a cruise. We always thought before that we would be "bored" on a ship. Had this mental picture of a bunch of old folks playing shuffle board. BOY WERE WE WRONG! But honestly my first was not my favorite. It took me the first one to learn the ropes, lose my inhibitions, and become totally addicted to cruising. I was so self concious on the first one that I didn't even pack a swimsuit. Now I am the first one down the water slide. :eek: From that initial one they have just gotten better and better. Definitely try some variety. There is so much fun to be had and different things to do that you can't possibly experience it all on one cruise.

I consider the first cruise an experiment. Our favorite cruise didn't happen until around the 13th or 14th. We enjoyed it so much, we repeated it a year later. (19/18 days, Sydney to Singapore) :)

Some passengers begin with inexpensive cabins and shorter cruises. As our cruise numbers grew, so did the size of our cabin and the itinerays. Now a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean is a 'fill in' to get us through until our next exotic itineary or longer cruise. Seems like we just get comfortable and it is time to pack up and head home on the 7 day cruises. :)

We also always book at least a mini suite. Would rather cruise less times per year in a mini then more often in a balcony cabin. Love the space and comfort and it sure does improve the quality of the memorys. ;)

For those that can only fit in a weeks cruise, just wait, you will have more time when children are grown to really experience what an escape and adventure a longer, exotic cruise can be.

My first cruise was not my favorite. It was in 1981, back when you had to go to a common room to blow dry your hair.

I also started out in inside cabins and have worked my way up the chain. We like to stay in balcony suites, but if money is tight, I would rather stay in an inside cabin then to not sail at all.

After 16 cruises - 4 on Princess - 11 on RCCL, and one on HAL, I can say that RCCL and Princess seem similar. HAL was way to old for me. The only thing I loved on HAL was the beautiful suite that we stayed in.

Having said all that, I am hoping that my cruise this year will be my best. DH and I are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary with a 12 day repo cruise on RCCL, followed by a 7 day cruise with Princess. I can't wait.:) :) :)

I was just thinking about this subject last night:D . For me, my first cruise (2004) was the most excited one because I was just flabbergasted at how huge the Carnival Conquest was and how beautiful she was. Never did I imagine that I would be hooked on cruising. In 2005 I went with my DH (who had been saying for years that cruising was not for him):rolleyes: well he loved it too, even being 6'9" tall:eek: that was also on the Carnival Conquest. Both of these cruises were done in off-season.

This year my MIL and I went on the Celebrity Galaxy and did the Transatlantic ~ we loved it and Saturday we will be on the Sun Princess for our Panama Canal cruise and I am sure we will love that cruise as well.

BUT....the first cruise will always be the most memorable and special for me because I had no idea what to expect ~ and it hooked me on cruising ~ Els

Our first cruise has certainly been our best to date. I think the anticipation and awe of that first time boarding a cruise ship can never be repeated. On both our cruises we've been excited but I dreamed about what that ship would be like for months prior to the first one. The second and consecutive times you know what to expect although each ship is a bit unique.

I would like to try other cruise lines like we did this year on NCL, because our Star cruise was canceled due to the fire. Well, he can't understand why we would want to try other lines since he loved Princess and why be disappointed like he was on NCL. Now let me say, I also felt "at home" on Princess, but would like to try the other main stream lines.

Is it the first cruise syndrome?? ;)

we've been on several cruise lines, beginning with Home Lines in 1981. I don't know which was my favorite cruise, each one had some wonderful memories and terrific times, but the first one does hold a special place in my memories.

It wasn't the best; boring itinerary, lowest class cabin (two single berths, on opposite sides of the room, unmovable, right over the boiler room - we were way below the water line, could have fried eggs on the bathroom floor), but it sure was special. 5 nights semi formal, two black tie, Italian waiters, assigned lounge chairs (NO CHAIR HOGS).

We then went on Carnival(because they had rooms for 5 at the time)which we loved), then Princess (right time, right place).

Princess was and is a perfect fit for us and we really have no desire to seek out a different line. At least not until I've done all the itineraries I want to do ;). We actually snuck in a Costa cruise last year - friends were going, we wanted to cruise with them, price was great - but I can't imagine ever going back with them and we had a NCL to Hawaii booked because Princess didn't have one that fit in with our schedule (but we since cancelled it).

Anyway, I can understand your husband. Why mess with what is good... ;)

Our first cruise was definitely not our best. It was on Majesty of the Seas, probably Royal Caribbean's worst current ship, with tiny cabins and limited facilities. It was our introduction to cruising because it leaves from near our house and was cheap. We had a wonderful time---and we have sailed on it again, and got hooked on cruising. However, sailing to Nassau on an older ship isn't a fair comparison to our subsequent Alaska trips on the Diamond and the Coral and later on the Caribbean--all much newer and nicer and more interesting ports.

Les

I like to think that our first cruise was kind of like a first date, exciting, and a little mysterious, but certainly leaving us wanting more. We really fell in love with cruising our second time out. It was a longer cruise, 10 days instead of 7, and we really got into the rhythm of the whole experience and had more time to relax.

We've had some great cruises since, that have come really close, and mostly because of the people we've met during the cruise.

Clutterlady - In a way your answer is right in your statement... I agree with your DH. You enjoyed Princess very much and was disappointed going on a different line....

Why chance being disappointed again? He might never cruise again....

Do you want to be pitching a Tent and cooking s’mores over a campfire ? ? ?

Or on a cruise ship with room service ? ? ?

I like to think that our first cruise was kind of like a first date, exciting, and a little mysterious, but certainly leaving us wanting more. We really fell in love with cruising our second time out.

And from an OKIE, no less! :p

Oh how similar our stories are. I've cruised for years with my best friend, mom, son, etc and then finally convinced my husband last year of what he was missing.

My favorite was my very first cruise on the Celebrity Zenith...I've compared everything else to it. It's funny, the Conquest last year was my DH first and he was comparing it to our Greek Isles cruise on RCI Splendour of the Seas this summer. I do love trying other cruise lines though and was able to talk hubby into trying Caribbean Princess this coming February. I'm hoping that we will really like Princess as I want to book Alaska for 2008. I've loved each and every ship I have ever been on though...each one has a special memory.

Archived