Crown Princess Will use The Pan American Port in San Juan

jouset_1345

I'm on the Crown repositioning cruise arriving in San Juan on November 4. From the map that was posted above, it looks like the Pan American Pier is relatively close to the airport. Is that so?

Last time we sailed from this Pier we did come in on a Sunday rather than a Saturday so I'm not sure if that made the traffic less but it took us around 20 mintues to get to the airport.

I wonder if we will be docking in OSJ during our cruise departing in 9 days on Sept 30/06? I was hoping to just walk into town for the day, but that might not be quite as easy without using a taxi now.

We are on the cruise after you (keep her in good shape :D) and am hoping the same thing. The OP has said that the change is only supposed to happen as of Nov 4th so I'm hopeful. I have also looked at some posts on the Puerto Rico board and from what I found there, it seems that "in-transit" ships almost always dock at the Pier 4 in OSJ unless it is a very busy day. We are the only ship in SJ on both of our cruises so I'm feeling pretty sure that we will dock in OSJ. :rolleyes: But you never know!

I have a feeling that whether or not the Crown will dock at Pan Am pier or Old San Juan will have more of an impact on those passengers visiting PR for the day rather than those using PR for embarkation and debarkation.

I have a feeling that whether or not the Crown will dock at Pan Am pier or Old San Juan will have more of an impact on those passengers visiting PR for the day rather than those using PR for embarkation and debarkation.

That's true, but the change isn't supposed to take place until the Crown is departing out of San Juan so it won't impact those passengers visiting PR for the day.

Carnival owns a pier in Old San Juan. FYI-Carnival owns Princess. I sailed the Golden out of San Juan in Jan 06 and we sailed out of OSJ, we also had a lot of confusion as to which pier we were departing on. Check out this site: http://www.cruisecal.com for the date that you sail to see what other ships are in port on the same day. I don't know if 2 ships can dock at the pier at the same time.

Anyway - if you have booked through the cruise line for transfers and/or hotel stays, they will make sure that you arrive at the correct terminal, don't even worry. However, if you book on your own and need to get to the terminal by taxi, make sure someone that speaks english tells the taxi driver what cruise ship you are on and gets you to the correct terminal.

Enjoy your cruise!

According to the information I have Continental Shipping, Inc. is in charge of the cruise ports not the Cruise plus that the OP talked about. Unless they've sold the company or given up the rights, who knows. Here is their website and the information on the ports they run.

http://www.continentalshipping.com/Port_of_San_Juan.htm

I emailed them to see if they can tell us the answer.

Awesome!! I just checked the Continental website and they don't even list the Crown on 11/4 or 11/11.

Thanks again for trying to find out which pier is correct! :D

the change isn't supposed to take place until the Crown is departing out of San Juan so it won't impact those passengers visiting PR for the day.

Next spring when the Crown starts its cruises out of NYC again it'll be interesting to see if they'll change back to the Old San Juan pier or if the change to Pan Am pier is permanent.

f you book on your own and need to get to the terminal by taxi, make sure someone that speaks english tells the taxi driver what cruise ship you are on and gets you to the correct terminal.

Enjoy your cruise!

English sure didn't work for us. LOL! The taxi driver thought "Pan American pier" was Pan American Airways and carried us to the airport. A little "Espanol" wouild be handier than english.

Mike:D :D

It is about 2.5 miles so that works out to around $6 per mile:eek:
Here are the fixed rates to and from specific sections of town. Its not $15 from the Piers to OSJ, its supposed to be $7. Perhaps wrp 96 was referring to the ride from the airport to the pier/OSJ.

Fixed rates - Tourist zones:

Airport / Isla Verde - $10.00

Airport / Condado / Miramar - $14.00

Airport / Pier Area in Old San Juan - $19.00

Piers / Old San Juan - $7.00

Piers / Condado / Miramar - $12.00

Piers / Isla Verde - $19.00

Piers / Plaza Las Américas Shopping Mall - $14.00

Piers / Plaza Carolina Shopping Mall - $24.00

Piers 1, 4, 6 & Navy Frontier / El Morro - $6.00

Panamerican Piers / El Morro - $10.00

Note: $0.50 per each piece of luggage, excluding hand pieces, and an additional charge of $1.00 per piece, after three pieces.

Here are the fixed rates to and from specific sections of town. Its not $15 from the Piers to OSJ, its supposed to be $7. Perhaps wrp 96 was referring to the ride from the airport to the pier/OSJ.

Nope that's what I paid from the Sheraton Old San Juan to the Pan American Pier with luggage.

Next spring when the Crown starts its cruises out of NYC again it'll be interesting to see if they'll change back to the Old San Juan pier or if the change to Pan Am pier is permanent.

The rule of thumb is that usually cruises that visit San Juan on their itinerary like the ones out of New York dock at downtown Old San Juan if there is room. Cruises that embark and disembark at San Juan often use one of the other piers than downtown Old San Juan.

I just got the same info as cjskids,

I called the port agent and they said yes, the Crown will be docking at Pan American Pier on Nov 11th. I called Princess and they said No, the pier is Old San Juan.

I guess this is another example of one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Archived