steveaaaa

Would you never sail because of an unfilled art order  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you never sail because of an unfilled art order

• Never ever,ever again
    • Never again.
    • Not at this time on this line.
    • I would sail only on a competing line
    • Of course I would continue to sail with who ever met my sailing needs and wants
    • Who cares?

I just don't get why a cruise ship is a good place to buy art. I just plain do not get it.

Precisely. If I wanted to buy art, I'd go to a reputable gallery on land.

I dunno, perhaps I'm being lame here but if you are going to hate everything that has to do with the experience as a whole, fine. But to subject us every single day to your complaint is just getting old.....fast.

The more i read about it, the less I hear... it's kind of like Charlie Brown's teacher...blahblahblahblahblahblahblah... WE GET IT, you are upset. Trust me, I don't think the people on this board are so dumb that they don't get that you are p*ssed off...trust me, we get it...

just one cruiser's opinion....

I probably wouldn't ever think to buy "art" on a cruise, but it does seem that if NCL is part of the transaction, then they have some responsibility for it.

I don't understand why anyone would say something like "You were treated fairly, so why are you complaining" when this is a poll with a hypothetical question and not a lot of specific qualifying criteria.

I REALLY don't understand posters who complain about a thread going on and on and boring them to death and tell everyone else to stop posting.....if you know what the thread is about and you're not interested, why not just ignore the thread (like any other thread that doesn't interest you) instead of taking the time to tell everyone else that they shouldn't be interested either; posts like that always seem to attract other like-minded people and pretty soon there's a whole group of people being smug about not being interested in the topic, and belittling the people who are interested. Personally, while I might not want to follow the details of this particular subject forever, I appreciated it being brought up here as a heads up.

Sorry if this rant goes over the bounds of civility.:o

I REALLY don't understand posters who complain about a thread going on and on and boring them to death and tell everyone else to stop posting.....if you know what the thread is about and you're not interested, why not just ignore the thread (like any other thread that doesn't interest you) instead of taking the time to tell everyone else that they shouldn't be interested either; posts like that always seem to attract other like-minded people and pretty soon there's a whole group of people being smug about not being interested in the topic, and belittling the people who are interested. Personally, while I might not want to follow the details of this particular subject forever, I appreciated it being brought up here as a heads up.

Sorry if this rant goes over the bounds of civility.:o

People respond to threads like this for the same reason you posted your rant. People just want to be heard. When you post to a message board you open a dialog and people like to give their opinion even if it's to say that it's a boring topic, etc. What was the purpose of your rant? You posted the same thing as everyone else; you just took the other side of it. It's the nature of message boards. It's the same thing as someone calling someone else a whiner and then another member posting to say how rude that person is, etc. They're both name calling but some think it's justified to post it. :rolleyes:

I just don't get why a cruise ship is a good place to buy art. I just plain do not get it.

Me either. A true auction, be it art, antiques, cars, etc. is designed to have as many potentiel buyers as possible competing to buy the lot that is for sale. If this art on the ship is so great, why would they limit their "auction" pool to a couple of thousand people on a ship. The answer: it's not that great and they sure don't sell it at wholesale prices. I am not an art aficianado but I have been to auctions in several states at which paintings and other art objects have sold for six figures. Even at a relatively small auction house here in SC, the pool of bidders is in the many tens of thousands between live bidders, phone bidders, absentee bidders and internet bidders.

BTW, before I am accused of being an NCL hater, my one experience with NCL, the Star in June 2006 to Alaska, was wonderful and I look forward to cruising NCL again.

People respond to threads like this for the same reason you posted your rant. People just want to be heard. When you post to a message board you open a dialog and people like to give their opinion even if it's to say that it's a boring topic, etc. What was the purpose of your rant? You posted the same thing as everyone else; you just took the other side of it. It's the nature of message boards. It's the same thing as someone calling someone else a whiner and then another member posting to say how rude that person is, etc. They're both name calling but some think it's justified to post it. :rolleyes:

If for no other reason then this is one of those rare occasions where the thread was aptly named. THE main gripe I have is that people start thrads and you have no clue what it is about until you read it. I have not read any of the other posts on this thread and had no intention of posting. I came to vote on the subject. To the OP, great intro to the thread!:) Anyone not interested in the thread at least can't claim they we lured into it.

garycarla hit the nail squarely on the head!

I would cruise the cruiseline again, but I wouldn't do business with the art gallery/auctioneer anymore.

If I was in an art gallery who collected for cruises that had an NCL Kiosk in the corner and I bought a cruise from NCL that was cancelled and delayed over and over ...I'd not deal with NCL anymore. I'd still return to the art gallery

Thanks! It's nice to hear a voice of reason.:)

• 2 weeks later...

To the question:

Would you not sail with a cruise line over missing art?

If I said "I would not" would my not combine with the "not" in the question, become a double negative and therefor a positive reply? ;)

I just gave myself a headache!

-Monte

I have never once stopped and watched the auctions. Doesn't interest me in the least, so I'm not a good one to answer the primary question.

But, the cruise lines are careful to distance themselves from the art sales. Yes, you can use your card to purchase, but that appears to be only in the same context as using the credit card backing it up. They are not directly responsible for the quality or authenticity of the work, nor are they directly responsible for its delivery.

I read the original thread that brought the poll about, and those folks that had the problem just didn't see it the same way I did, I guess. NCL was trying to get adjustments, but it was taking time. They didn't like the time frame. Well, I have a McDonalds down the street that can't get a drive-thru order right if their lives depended upon it. Do I gripe to Coke because they give me Dr. Pepper? No, I go to the source. Same for NCL or whomever...they are not the problem. The problem is with the company who sold the art but didn't deliver.

But, as is usually the case, someone is angry and lashing out at whomever they can take a swipe at. Too bad. On the other hand, that is exactly the kind of people I hope never take a cruise with me, so if they are angry at something such as this and they never cruise again, so much the better.

Did any of that make sense?

Mark T

Agree with most of the others here, I dont buy art on a cruise; there are too many nice galleries to choose from on land. I dont buy much jewlelry either. We have not found any great deals. Why spend $900 on tanzanite in a port when the same necklace is $200 back home. At least that's my experience, for what it's worth.

NCL was trying to get adjustments, but it was taking time. They didn't like the time frame. Same for NCL or whomever...they are not the problem. The problem is with the company who sold the art but didn't deliver.

When, exactly, did NCL try to make any adjustments? If it wasn't for customers calling NCL, nothing would have been done. In this case, NCL was the problem. They never paid the art company so the art company didn't deliver.

When, exactly, did NCL try to make any adjustments? If it wasn't for customers calling NCL, nothing would have been done. In this case, NCL was the problem. They never paid the art company so the art company didn't deliver.

Flights of fancy? Or are you able to read between the lines and see things I didn't see? None of that was in the original post. As a matter of fact, they WON the art...didn't pay for it, if I remember correctly.

Also, because of the problems, NCL changed who they were dealing with and were working through the new company to get the orders placed for all the customers who were stiffed by the old company.

I hear that they had to make the little gnomes at Kindaid work 23 hours a day copying those pix just to make it all come together :)

Mark T

If you pay your TA and the TA dosen't pay NCL, when NCL does not allow you to cruise....who's fault is it your TA's or NCL.

If you pay NCL and NCL doesn't pay the Art company, when you don't get your art....who's fault is it... NCL's or the Art company???

Archived