Plus Sized - Where do you find your formal wear?

ssolomon56

We're getting ready for our next cruise - and I'm facing the same problem I have for every one. Trying to find a new formal/semi formal dress to wear for formal/semi formal nights. Sure - I have quite a few items that I've collected over the years, but I've worn them over and over - and I'd like something new.

I'm 5'2" and wear a size 18 - the limited selection is horrible! I go into Macy's and there are maybe 3-4 racks of gowns. The rest of the population has 2-3 FLOORS of clothes to chose from. And, it's not just the formal wear...it's the other "cruisewear" as well. So, all you plus-sized women...where do you get those adorable outfits I see on the cruises?

I know what you are going through, but I buy most of my clothes at Catherine's, Lane Bryant and Roamans. I just got the most gorgeous dress for one of the formal nights on our Dec 10th cruise on Explorer. It's black with bead trim and all cut on the bias. Very flattering and comfortable. Just got it yesterday and I am so happy. Best of all, when I went online to see what they had available, I clicked on it to see a close-up and was told that it was on sale. It has a tag on it for $79.00 but I only paid $15.00. What a terrific deal. Also found a nice one in Roamans. If you go to Lane Bryant and Roamans now you can get some great deals on capris, knit tunics, etc. I have loaded up on these things while they have been on clearance. Good luck.

I actually have bought a lot of my formal dresses at David's Bridal. I get them off the clearance rack...and actually have found some pretty ones. If you are in no hurry, you can wait until they have their $99 sale or their 50% off sale.

Also I watch ebay constantly. I know what my measurements are...so I just watch the dresses to see if they will fit me. I have had great luck with ebay.

One more vote from Lane Bryant/Roamans (they are the same parent company). I also buy from Chadwicks ( I think) and Jessica London.

I am wearing a beaded georgette top with "car wash" pants on our next cruise in 5 weeks.

Here is a link to the outfit

http://www.lanebryantcatalog.com/product.aspx?PfId=52394&DeptId=9306&producttypeid=1&PurchaseType=0

Good Luck

I know what you are going through, but I buy most of my clothes at Catherine's, Lane Bryant and Roamans. I just got the most gorgeous dress for one of the formal nights on our Dec 10th cruise on Explorer. It's black with bead trim and all cut on the bias. Very flattering and comfortable. Just got it yesterday and I am so happy. Best of all, when I went online to see what they had available, I clicked on it to see a close-up and was told that it was on sale. It has a tag on it for $79.00 but I only paid $15.00. What a terrific deal. Also found a nice one in Roamans. If you go to Lane Bryant and Roamans now you can get some great deals on capris, knit tunics, etc. I have loaded up on these things while they have been on clearance. Good luck.

Which store did you get this great deal from? The dress sounds wonderful!

Oh - and Terri....your outfit is sooo beautiful! Thanks ladies for the great ideas! I've got a few options now. And some of these on-line places actually carry Petite Women Sizes too!

I shop the normals as well...Lane Bryant, Lane Bryant catalog (also, don't miss the outlet online at BCOutlet.com, great deals!), silhouettes, catherines, and cato. Also, Ebay! I love them and can find almost anything there, especially low priced formal wear. Good luck!

We're getting ready for our next cruise - and I'm facing the same problem I have for every one. Trying to find a new formal/semi formal dress to wear for formal/semi formal nights. Sure - I have quite a few items that I've collected over the years, but I've worn them over and over - and I'd like something new.

I'm 5'2" and wear a size 18 - the limited selection is horrible! I go into Macy's and there are maybe 3-4 racks of gowns. The rest of the population has 2-3 FLOORS of clothes to chose from. And, it's not just the formal wear...it's the other "cruisewear" as well. So, all you plus-sized women...where do you get those adorable outfits I see on the cruises?

I'm 5'2" also and I'm getting closer and closer to a size 18.Do you have anything that you might want to sell in a formal? I can't find anything in a formal that I can afford and doesn't have to be altered.

Laura

I'm 5'2" also and I'm getting closer and closer to a size 18.Do you have anything that you might want to sell in a formal? I can't find anything in a formal that I can afford and doesn't have to be altered.

Laura

Well...most of the things I have (and don't wear because they don't fit) are size 16 - they've ALL had to be altered. But, that's a good idea. I'll go through my "evening wear" section of the closet and see what I have. I should start posting some of that stuff on ebay - to make room for new stuff.

If you have a Ross they have some beautiful plus size formal outfits, also some nice other Plus size clothes. I just bought quite a few items for my next cruise.

Got my formal for last yr at Macys but I also go to a local consignment shop and they have great items, see if you have a nice one in your area.

Well...most of the things I have (and don't wear because they don't fit) are size 16 - they've ALL had to be altered. But, that's a good idea. I'll go through my "evening wear" section of the closet and see what I have. I should start posting some of that stuff on ebay - to make room for new stuff.

let me know what you post under on ebay and I'll check it out. size 16 would probably work really well for me. My email is lbergan23@yahoo.com. Contact me privately it you want to. Just put cruise critic dresses in the message line so I don't delete it.

Laura

I have just bought 2 dresses from ChinaEKT on ebay. They are custom made. Send your measurements and you get the dress in about 2 weeks. All styles and colors. Can get a brand new custom made dress for about $60. Just another idea to throw out there.

I have just bought 2 dresses from ChinaEKT on ebay. They are custom made. Send your measurements and you get the dress in about 2 weeks. All styles and colors. Can get a brand new custom made dress for about $60. Just another idea to throw out there.

Is the seller name China-EKT? If so, I just looked through the sellers dresses, and there are some BEAUTIFUL ones. Have you gotten yours yet? I am really curious to know the quality of the dresses. If you can let us know how they are once you recieve them, i'd appreciate it! If it is good quality...then i'd be interested in ordering some. Keep us posted! Thanks for the sellers name!

I'd be interested in your used evening wear as well!!

you can email me: danteskips@hotmail.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurab23

Laura

Archived