Plus Sized - Where do you find your formal wear?

ssolomon56

I'd be interested in your used evening wear as well!!

you can email me: danteskips@hotmail.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurab23

I'm 5'2" also and I'm getting closer and closer to a size 18.Do you have anything that you might want to sell in a formal? I can't find anything in a formal that I can afford and doesn't have to be altered.

Laura

Well...most of the things I have (and don't wear because they don't fit) are size 16 - they've ALL had to be altered. But, that's a good idea. I'll go through my "evening wear" section of the closet and see what I have. I should start posting some of that stuff on ebay - to make room for new stuff.

cruznoobie-do you have any formal wear you want to get rid of? Sounds like you're about the same size as us.

yes, China-EKT is the name. The two dresses I ordered came out fine. Same material and such as in a bridal shop. I did the auction instead of buy now prices so it was less. Larger sizes are $15 extra. I will probably use them again for a MOB dress for July. I ordered one in goldenrod color. (there is a picture of it on the thread "is this too formal?") and the other was a black chiffon. If it is a full dress it does not come with the crinoline. Now I have to find the one I had for my wedding....ages ago...LOL.

Try JCPenney.com. Look in the bridal shop. Many mix n match choices under mother of the bride. Mostly black bottoms and different tops to go w/ them.

I agree. JC Penney's clothes, both formal and informal are very consistent size-wise. If you try on a line in the store and order something else in that line from the catalog, it will fit properly. The little bit of what you can see in our picture is a Penney's outfit from a Century formal night.

Judy

Ok need the ladies help.

I am not a dressy kinda girl. And I don't want to feel out of place on formal night.

Do you think I can wear this outfit in All BLACK with nice jewlery? Or will people be laughing?

This is my 1st cruise.

product.aspx?PfId=20572&DeptId=11245&producttypeid=1&pref=ps&PurchaseType=G

I think that outfit would work just fine. On our second formal night I plan to wear a similar outfit that I got from Lane Bryant.

• Administrators

Lately I'm very annoyed re: the selection for larger sizes. And I'm talking sizes 14 16 too. I see many many styles of all types of clothing that could JUST AS EASILY BE MADE IN PLUS SIZES!

Off soapbox.

Anyway, try this: The Evening Store Select "Plus Sized Gowns" link at the top.

I just bought this dress for myself from Chadwicks online (and thanks to someone here on the board I used a 50% coupon). Even at the full price I felt it was a good deal...the entire jacket is bugle and sparkle beading.

2104_03755_mm.jpg?wid=230&hei=331&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

It comes in black, ivory, champagne & navy. I bought black (going to wear to my brothers wedding as well). I bought an eighteen -- I found the jacket to fit perfectly (probably because it is fitted). But, I'm having the under dress taken in.....and the whole thing shortened because I'm 5' 1".

4xcruisers--thanks for the lead on the georgette beaded top. What color did you order? It's shown in silver but that isn't an option...I ordered teal.

I have the black and the amethyst. Purple is one of my favorite colors. I wanted the silver, but could not get it.

I have the black and the amethyst. Purple is one of my favorite colors. I wanted the silver, but could not get it.

I have been lurking around here on the "fluffy" threads and am so glad I did.

I shop at LaneBryantCatalog all of the time and can't believe that I overlooked this top. I have an amethyst one coming to me, too. Hopefully we won't ever run into each other in the same top!:eek:

I don't have the skirt, but I bought a dress - the "Amber" - from them, and it is absolutely gorgeous, well made and very comfortable to wear, although it is lavishly beaded and therefore heavy. You wouldn't know it when you wear it, though.

The picture does not do it justice, and neither do the ones we had taken. (See our website - alauer.com - for me in the dress.) The dress is extremely sparkly - it just glitters and glows when you move. I had many, many compliments when wearing it, and even the next day a couple people stopped me and told me how beautiful I had looked!

Their customer service is absolutely top-notch, too. The owner, Barry, went out of his way to help me, and even accepted a return after the return period because I had lost 50 lbs and needed a smaller size.

Be aware, like most evening gowns, the sizing is ego-deflating. I have a 5X, when I normally wear a 24 or 3X.

I can't say enough good things about the quality, beauty and service of them.

Anni

Hi girls! I am new to this board and this will be my first upcoming cruise. However, I'm an expert at plus size shopping and in formalwear as well since I'm a wedding planner by profession. So here are some great online links:

First I should say that Roamans and Lane Bryant.com are NOT the same company. Lane Bryant the store allowed Roamans to use their name for a catalog, since they don't have one. So Lane Bryant Catalog is out out by Roamans, but Lane Bryant.com and the mall stores are totally different. Very confusing, but good to know cause they all have different stuff.

LaneBryant.com now has some formalwear, and some bridalwear. It's hit or miss but check it out www.lanebryant.com

www.igigi.com is amazing and I LOVE their stuff. It's fashion forward, beautiful, doesn't look like a prom dress and many of their items are bra friendly (great for me cause I hate strapless) and arm friendly - meaning, if you don't want to show your arms. Make sure you click on their formalwear.

www.Sydneyscloset.com has all kinds of plus size dresses, from prom to bridal to everything. Lots of really cute stuff all plus sizes. Make sure you go through all their pages though cause some of it is really young looking until you look at all their stuff.

www.kiyonna.com has lots of stylish, great clothing, and some cute cocktail attire.

www.nordstrom.com - Although they don't have much in store, there is LOTS Of beautiful stuff on their website. And it's Nordstroms - so you know you can get easy returns done if it doesn't fit. I always order two sizes and return the one that doesnt fit.

www.jessicalondon.com has a few items in their "special occasion" section.

www.davidsbridal.com - their store has racks of bridesmaid dresses that can easily convert to formal nights. You can often find great deals here.

I hope that helps! I was mostly talking about formal wear since you can find all kinds of summerwear anywhere that carries plus sizes. :)

It is too bad I will be pregnant on my cruise in November! I will have to make do with all the crappy plus size maternity options. You think there aren't any options for plus size formalwear, holy cow - I can shop TWO places for plus size maternity. It sucks.

www.sizeappeal.com has all kinds of really cute items. They are very trendy and young.

Archived