Land tour choices

bbjaspan

For what it's worth ... here is another way to go:

1. Book your cruise and cabin ASAP
  2. Don't panic about the land tour. A lot of places aren't even taking bookings for 2007 yet. I can tell you that from personal experience.
  3. Now sit down and work out what you want to see, where you want to go and what you want to do
  4. Send your suggested itinerary or list to a local travel agent in Anchorage and ask them to put together a tour for you. We did, and all the hard work has been done for us. We just have to hand over the cash. I don't think I'm allowed to recommend an agent, but there are a couple of excellent ones in Anchorage .. and they know the local scene.

Wow! This really is a project!

I liken choosing a cruisetour vs. planning an independent land trip to buying a brand new home. You can look for a builder's "spec" house that matches what you want in a home, or you can contract a builder to build your dream home according to your specifications. A cruisetour is the "spec" house - great for some, but one size doesn't fit all. Putting together your own land trip is the way to have the Alaska trip you want. There will probably be some bumps along the way. I got pretty frustrated mid-summer trying to figure out a land itinerary, and I started a thread called "11 months to go, and cruisetours are starting to look good!" ;) Then I went to Colorado for a week, and returned home refreshed and ready to plan again!

For what it's worth ... here is another way to go:

1. Book your cruise and cabin ASAP
  2. Don't panic about the land tour. A lot of places aren't even taking bookings for 2007 yet. I can tell you that from personal experience.
  3. Now sit down and work out what you want to see, where you want to go and what you want to do
  4. Send your suggested itinerary or list to a local travel agent in Anchorage and ask them to put together a tour for you. We did, and all the hard work has been done for us. We just have to hand over the cash. I don't think I'm allowed to recommend an agent, but there are a couple of excellent ones in Anchorage .. and they know the local scene.

We've got our cabin on firm hold until Monday. That's the first thing we did as we knew we wanted a verandah, on the starboard side. All of the non-suite verandah's were sold out on Celebrity.com but the cruise agent we contacted was able to find one. Actually, it's 2 doors away from the cabin we were in on our Panama Canal cruise in December. We won't be seeeing a new ship but at least we will know our way around.

How does it work -- having an agent put together a tour for you? Do they decide where you will stay? Provide transportation? Give you a detailed schedule -- what time you better stop taking pictures and get on the road to the next stop?

I'm new to this board experience and don't know the rules. But it seems like other folks have recommended specific tour operators, hotels, restaurants, etc. Would it be different with travel agents?

I liken choosing a cruisetour vs. planning an independent land trip to buying a brand new home. You can look for a builder's "spec" house that matches what you want in a home, or you can contract a builder to build your dream home according to your specifications. A cruisetour is the "spec" house - great for some, but one size doesn't fit all. Putting together your own land trip is the way to have the Alaska trip you want. There will probably be some bumps along the way. I got pretty frustrated mid-summer trying to figure out a land itinerary, and I started a thread called "11 months to go, and cruisetours are starting to look good!" ;) Then I went to Colorado for a week, and returned home refreshed and ready to plan again!

Yes, and I'm the type that prefers buying the "spec" house. Deciding EVERYTHING on a new home sounds overwhelming. Of course, an Alaskan land tour doesn't come close to that. I'm also pressured because we are leaving on an international trip on November 5 (and I've still got lots to do for that one), and I feel like I should have the Alaska tour well organized before we leave in November. I do realize that some reservations cannot be made by then and that we can make changes after we return from out November trip.

We've never done anything like this before. It's time we did! :)

How does it work -- having an agent put together a tour for you? Do they decide where you will stay? Provide transportation? Give you a detailed schedule -- what time you better stop taking pictures and get on the road to the next stop?

I'm new to this board experience and don't know the rules. But it seems like other folks have recommended specific tour operators, hotels, restaurants, etc. Would it be different with travel agents?

I am not sure how it works with an agent in ANC putting a tour together for you. I assume you tell them what you want to do (maybe which cities, maybe how many nights in each place) and they come back with everything booked for you. Just a guess though. For me, half the fun is doing the planning so that is not for me.

Re: recommending tour operators and travel agents, tour operators are OK to recommend if someone specifically asks for recommendations. Travel agents are never OK - based on past threads the reason being that there are too many people who might self-servingly recommend themselves or there be those who might not act above board.

If you want an agent to put a land tour together for you, do a search of the Anchorage CVB website. My suggestion would be to make sure they are affiliated with the USTOA, ASTA or some other organization and double check that they are indeed a member. You can see on this board about an unscrupolous limousine company that said they were a member of a national association but in reality were not. It happens. If you don't see them recommended on here, do your due diligence.

Once you have the cruise booked (you do) and figure at least a tentative car rental reservation, pretty much everything else can wait. I really think you are doing fine.

John

I've read trip reviews from a few people who had Alaska Tour and Travel put together a package for them: www.alaskatourandtravel.com If nothing else, looking over the various land packages will give you an idea of what you can do on your own, or perhaps you'll decide to book a package through them.

At this point, we're going to do it ourselves. I only asked about the recommendation rules so I would know. But if we had someone put something together for us, I would be on here checking that everything was what I would have chosen, and that would be silly. But looking at their packages for ideas is a good idea. Thanks!

Once you have the cruise booked (you do) and figure at least a tentative car rental reservation, pretty much everything else can wait. I really think you are doing fine.

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm going to try to do the car rental tomorrow.

I just want to say how informative this has all been!! We are planning a nb cruise with Princess probably Sept 1st. We originally were going to do the land tour as well, for 4 nights with Princess, but after checking prices and reading these boards, especially this link! I've determined we would be much better off doing the land tour on our own. While we will still probably only be able to stay for an additional 4 nights, Maybe 5, I figure we will save a couple thousand dollars, plus be able to spend time in the places we want. As for the Delta FF, if that holds true and DH and I can exchange them for flights, it looks like I'm getting that balcony I want!:p

Still a little confuse about the train, etc..but I'm going to book the cruise, the flights, the car and worry about the rest a little at a time...I do have a year after all!

We've made progress. NB cruise booked on Celebrity Summit, starboard cabin with verandah. Will do land on our own -- 7 days/6 nights, Seward to Anchorage (Would have preferred to end in Fairbanks but could not get Delta FF tickets from there.)

Can't believe how complicated the land planning is, and how many compromises must be made. We will spend the first night, a Friday, in Seward and take the train at 6pm the next evening to Anchorage. Seems simple enought, BUT... We can't do the small boat Kenai Fjords tour with Mariah Tours -- it is 8:30 to 5:30 so we can't get there early enough the first day and it ends too late for the 6pm train. Sure wish there was a morning train...

We'll get into Anchorage late Saturday night and will rent a car, downtown, Sunday morning. First place we looked for a car was Hertz (out of habit), and their downtown office is not open on Sunday. Enterprise online site says it is sold out of every car class -- perhaps they don't have 2007 open yet, need to call them. But meantime we have a car reserved with Avis at their downtown location.

We will spend 2 nights in Anchorage, 1 night in Talkeetna, and 2 nights in the Denali area. Then on Thursday we need to drive from Denali back to Anchorage for a 9:30pm red eye flight home to Atlanta (figure we need to hit the airport car rental return by 7pm). My Microsoft Streets & Trips says that ride will take 7 hours, but I'm wondering about traffic. Does anyone have advice about how long to allow? It would be nice if we could spend a bit more time that day in Denali but we're thinking we better get on the road by 8am. True?

Still have miles of decisions to go -- cruise port excursions, hotels, land activities, etc. But we've come a long way...

We've made progress. NB cruise booked on Celebrity Summit, starboard cabin with verandah. Will do land on our own -- 7 days/6 nights, Seward to Anchorage (Would have preferred to end in Fairbanks but could not get Delta FF tickets from there.)

Can't believe how complicated the land planning is, and how many compromises must be made. We will spend the first night, a Friday, in Seward and take the train at 6pm the next evening to Anchorage. Seems simple enought, BUT... We can't do the small boat Kenai Fjords tour with Mariah Tours -- it is 8:30 to 5:30 so we can't get there early enough the first day and it ends too late for the 6pm train. Sure wish there was a morning train...

We'll get into Anchorage late Saturday night and will rent a car, downtown, Sunday morning. First place we looked for a car was Hertz (out of habit), and their downtown office is not open on Sunday. Enterprise online site says it is sold out of every car class -- perhaps they don't have 2007 open yet, need to call them. But meantime we have a car reserved with Avis at their downtown location.

We will spend 2 nights in Anchorage, 1 night in Talkeetna, and 2 nights in the Denali area. Then on Thursday we need to drive from Denali back to Anchorage for a 9:30pm red eye flight home to Atlanta (figure we need to hit the airport car rental return by 7pm). My Microsoft Streets & Trips says that ride will take 7 hours, but I'm wondering about traffic. Does anyone have advice about how long to allow? It would be nice if we could spend a bit more time that day in Denali but we're thinking we better get on the road by 8am. True?

Still have miles of decisions to go -- cruise port excursions, hotels, land activities, etc. But we've come a long way...

You're doing very well! About the Kenai Fjords cruise - you CAN make the 6:00 train with a cruise that ends at 5:30! Many people do the 11:30-5:30 cruise and then take the evening train to Anchorage, so it CAN be done. In fact there are day packages from Anchorage that include the morning train, cruise, and evening train. Your ship will be in port by 7 a.m. on Friday, so you very well might make the 8:30 cruise that day, especially if the Mariah cruise leaves from the Small Boat Harbor a short distance from the cruise ship pier. But it's probably best to schedule that for the 2nd day.

I reserved a car with Enterprise a week ago, but now they show sold out for my dates in June - so they really might be sold out. The drive from Anchorage to Denali is ~ 5 hours without stops. If you are worried about time on the day you fly home, you could go from Anchorage to Denali first for 2 nights, then stop in Talkeetna 1 night, and then return to Anchorage for your flight.

I have a spiral notebook where I've written down the MANY possible combinations of land itineraries! As long as you have your car reserved for the days you need it - you still have plenty of time to work and rework your trip plans. The cruise portion is a piece of cake in comparison, because you just decide on your excursions for a few ports.

Good luck with your planning!

**Just saw that Mariah Tours are done by Kenai Fjords Tours - the same company that offers the usual 11:30-5:30 tour that many people take, followed by the train to Anchorage (see Option 2 - Rail and Rail: http://www.kenaifjords.com/1084.cfm). They'll get you to the train on time! http://www.kenaifjords.com/551.cfm

**Just saw that Mariah Tours are done by Kenai Fjords Tours - the same company that offers the usual 11:30-5:30 tour that many people take, followed by the train to Anchorage (see Option 2 - Rail and Rail: http://www.kenaifjords.com/1084.cfm). They'll get you to the train on time! http://www.kenaifjords.com/551.cfm

I noticed that Kenai Fjords Tours also offers a coach from Seward to Anchorage at 6:30 p.m. - so you should have no problem making either the 6:00 p.m. train (the more scenic option) or the 6:30 p.m. coach (the faster option).

You're doing very well! About the Kenai Fjords cruise - you CAN make the 6:00 train with a cruise that ends at 5:30! Many people do the 11:30-5:30 cruise and then take the evening train to Anchorage, so it CAN be done. In fact there are day packages from Anchorage that include the morning train, cruise, and evening train. Your ship will be in port by 7 a.m. on Friday, so you very well might make the 8:30 cruise that day, especially if the Mariah cruise leaves from the Small Boat Harbor a short distance from the cruise ship pier. But it's probably best to schedule that for the 2nd day.

I reserved a car with Enterprise a week ago, but now they show sold out for my dates in June - so they really might be sold out. The drive from Anchorage to Denali is ~ 5 hours without stops. If you are worried about time on the day you fly home, you could go from Anchorage to Denali first for 2 nights, then stop in Talkeetna 1 night, and then return to Anchorage for your flight.

I have a spiral notebook where I've written down the MANY possible combinations of land itineraries! As long as you have your car reserved for the days you need it - you still have plenty of time to work and rework your trip plans. The cruise portion is a piece of cake in comparison, because you just decide on your excursions for a few ports.

Good luck with your planning!

Nancy,

Wow, again! The help this board provides is phenomenal. Looks like we certainly can do a Kenai Fjords tour ending at 5:30 and take the 6pm train... IF they will hold onto our luggage for us (will have to contact them about this). Guess we can get (expensive) dinner on the train? Haven't actually decided between small and larger boat. I like the longer, small boat tour, fewer people, see more up closer, etc., BUT I also know, from occasional personal experience, how seasickness can ruin the day (not that I am seasick prone, but it has happened). Don't know if dramamine would have prevented that for me or not (we will certainly take it this time). Don't know how much worse it will be on the smaller boat versus the larger (but not enormous) one.

Your reversed itinerary suggestion is clever. Will seriously consider it. I rechecked my Streets & Trips and you are right that Denali to Anchorage is in the 5 hour range (I had some extra curls in there). BUT, do you think we need to consider traffic slowdowns?

Thanks again for all your tips.

Barbara

I noticed that Kenai Fjords Tours also offers a coach from Seward to Anchorage at 6:30 p.m. - so you should have no problem making either the 6:00 p.m. train (the more scenic option) or the 6:30 p.m. coach (the faster option).

Hmm... Wonder if they will guarantee that if we are caused to miss the train (which I prefer, and for which we would have a reservation) by a late boat return, they will put us on their coach at no charge. Of course, the coach would probably be fully booked. Will have to contact them.

Nancy,

Wow, again! The help this board provides is phenomenal. Looks like we certainly can do a Kenai Fjords tour ending at 5:30 and take the 6pm train... IF they will hold onto our luggage for us (will have to contact them about this). Guess we can get (expensive) dinner on the train? Haven't actually decided between small and larger boat. I like the longer, small boat tour, fewer people, see more up closer, etc., BUT I also know, from occasional personal experience, how seasickness can ruin the day (not that I am seasick prone, but it has happened). Don't know if dramamine would have prevented that for me or not (we will certainly take it this time). Don't know how much worse it will be on the smaller boat versus the larger (but not enormous) one.

I can't remember from my reading if you drop-off your luggage at the train depot (which I think is what you do) or at the Kenai Fjords Tours office, but either way your luggage makes the train. I've never read of the tour boats getting in so late that their customers miss the train.

Here's a link to a recent discussion about the different Kenai Fjords tours: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=410112

Your reversed itinerary suggestion is clever. Will seriously consider it. I rechecked my Streets & Trips and you are right that Denali to Anchorage is in the 5 hour range (I had some extra curls in there). BUT, do you think we need to consider traffic slowdowns?

From what I've read here - you do need to make allowances for road construction as well as traffic between Anchorage and ~ Wasilla. If you go to Denali first and then Talkeetna on the way back, it will definitely reduce the feeling of having to rush back to make your evening flight. Denali to Talkeetna is at most 3 hours, so you could spend most of a 3rd day in the Denali area before heading south.

You'll want to invest in The Milepost - which is published annually in March and is VERY helpful for anyone doing a driving trip in Alaska. The cost is $26.95, but I bought mine from Amazon for $17.79. Your local Borders or Barnes & Noble will probably carry it, too - and maybe even your library!

I can't remember from my reading if you drop-off your luggage at the train depot (which I think is what you do) or at the Kenai Fjords Tours office, but either way your luggage makes the train. I've never read of the tour boats getting in so late that their customers miss the train.

Here's a link to a recent discussion about the different Kenai Fjords tours: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=410112.

See that thread for some question I have re using the coupon books.

From what I've read here - you do need to make allowances for road construction as well as traffic between Anchorage and ~ Wasilla. If you go to Denali first and then Talkeetna on the way back, it will definitely reduce the feeling of having to rush back to make your evening flight. Denali to Talkeetna is at most 3 hours, so you could spend most of a 3rd day in the Denali area before heading south.

We haven't had the time to address this yet, but it sounds like an excellent idea!

Barbara,

You are doing great. If you get leave Anchorage on Sunday, you can easily drive to Denali the same day. We did it in about 6-7 hours max but we got hung up with bridge work for 20 minutes. And we stopped in Talkeetna as well. Normally about 5 hours. Stopping on the return in Talkeetna is a great idea. That will give you later in the afternoon and evening of your first day at Denali to see the visitor center (film, etc) and hike a trail near the entrance (Horseshoe Lake Trail is nice) and/or drive the first 15 miles of the park road.

The 2nd day you can take a shuttle bus into the park.

The 3rd day you can see the dog kennels in the morning if that interests you then head to Talkeetna. We could have spent more time in Talkeetna but we decided to have more time at Denali.

I read on this board that if you call the local Enterprise office you can reserve a car. Their tel number for the office at 926 E 4th Street (downtown) is 907-277-1600. But I think they are closed on Sundays. You might need to use Avis. There are offices in the city for Budget, Dollar, Payless, and Thrifty. You can check to see if any of them are open on Sunday.

Note that this year the Toursaver book had a coupon for Avis for 1 free day car rental. But some people had a hard time using it. We had a minivan so it didn't apply anyway, but we had a coupon for a free tank of gas and that ended up being worth as much or more than the free day anyway.

John

Bbjaspan,

Earlier I talked about getting a local agent to put your tour together for you. I have checked the guidelines on talking about agents/operators and I think I'm safe in making a recommendation.

I am working with Alaska Tours (www.alaskatours.com) to put together our post cruise land tour. I've done all the reasearch and worked out what we want to see and rough budgets and then come up with a suggested itinerary. We have used some of their existing tours and added some of our stuff to it. They put it all into one package and price it.

You could either base it on a self-drive tour or use the bus and train system. We feel that we are getting exactly what we want, tied up in a neat package and with the comfort of having a local company on the ground ... if something should go wrong. I guess the proof will be in the pudding next year.

Whilst I am happy with the service we are getting from Alaska Tours, there are a number of other local operators who provide a similar service.

Barbara,

You are doing great. If you get leave Anchorage on Sunday, you can easily drive to Denali the same day. We did it in about 6-7 hours max but we got hung up with bridge work for 20 minutes. And we stopped in Talkeetna as well. Normally about 5 hours. Stopping on the return in Talkeetna is a great idea. That will give you later in the afternoon and evening of your first day at Denali to see the visitor center (film, etc) and hike a trail near the entrance (Horseshoe Lake Trail is nice) and/or drive the first 15 miles of the park road.

The 2nd day you can take a shuttle bus into the park.

The 3rd day you can see the dog kennels in the morning if that interests you then head to Talkeetna. We could have spent more time in Talkeetna but we decided to have more time at Denali.

I read on this board that if you call the local Enterprise office you can reserve a car. Their tel number for the office at 926 E 4th Street (downtown) is 907-277-1600. But I think they are closed on Sundays. You might need to use Avis. There are offices in the city for Budget, Dollar, Payless, and Thrifty. You can check to see if any of them are open on Sunday.

Note that this year the Toursaver book had a coupon for Avis for 1 free day car rental. But some people had a hard time using it. We had a minivan so it didn't apply anyway, but we had a coupon for a free tank of gas and that ended up being worth as much or more than the free day anyway.

John

John,

You are reading my mind. We have resequenced our plans, will go directly from Anchorage to Denali then stop in Talkeetna on our return. Our plans at Denali are exactly as you suggest.

Thanks for the list of car rental agencies. I will call all and see if we can do better than the reservation we have. With the coupon book, I understand that we must indicate that we will use it when we make the reservation. Does that mean, if I want to use the Avis coupon, then AFTER I get the book, I would have to make a new reservation? And the same with other reservations I would have made that have coupons? I haven't yet made any sightseeing reservations, so I don't know if they have cancellation fees. This could get complicated.

Barbara

Barbara

Bbjaspan,

Earlier I talked about getting a local agent to put your tour together for you. I have checked the guidelines on talking about agents/operators and I think I'm safe in making a recommendation.

I am working with Alaska Tours (www.alaskatours.com) to put together our post cruise land tour. I've done all the reasearch and worked out what we want to see and rough budgets and then come up with a suggested itinerary. We have used some of their existing tours and added some of our stuff to it. They put it all into one package and price it.

You could either base it on a self-drive tour or use the bus and train system. We feel that we are getting exactly what we want, tied up in a neat package and with the comfort of having a local company on the ground ... if something should go wrong. I guess the proof will be in the pudding next year.

Whilst I am happy with the service we are getting from Alaska Tours, there are a number of other local operators who provide a similar service.

Vozzie,

Some questions --

Did you first price out places to stay, sightseeing options, etc. and tell them specifics? Are you renting a car and, if so, do you or they arrange it? It certainly takes some work on their part to put the package together. If they do so, and then tell you the price, are you obligated to take it? Their services are valuable and worth a premium, but that depends on how much more it would cost through them than "on your own."

Barbara

Thanks for the list of car rental agencies. I will call all and see if we can do better than the reservation we have. With the coupon book, I understand that we must indicate that we will use it when we make the reservation. Does that mean, if I want to use the Avis coupon, then AFTER I get the book, I would have to make a new reservation? And the same with other reservations I would have made that have coupons? I haven't yet made any sightseeing reservations, so I don't know if they have cancellation fees. This could get complicated.

Hi, Barbara! I don't think there's any hurry to book excursions, so I would wait until the Toursaver book comes out to see what's in it. IF there's an Avis coupon, you might be able to apply it to an already existing Avis reservation. I have the 2007 Entertainment book and there are Avis coupons in there - so I don't think the Avis Toursaver coupon will be that much better. After John listed Budget as an agency with a rental office downtown, I checked their rates, and they were WAY more than Avis or Hertz for the dates we need the car. Same with U-Save...found no savings at all!

I have a reservation in Healy for 2 nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn. There's a $20 cancellation fee if I cancel at least 14 days out. You need to read cancellation policies for independent vendors and B&B-type places.

Hi, Barbara! I don't think there's any hurry to book excursions, so I would wait until the Toursaver book comes out to see what's in it. IF there's an Avis coupon, you might be able to apply it to an already existing Avis reservation. I have the 2007 Entertainment book and there are Avis coupons in there - so I don't think the Avis Toursaver coupon will be that much better. After John listed Budget as an agency with a rental office downtown, I checked their rates, and they were WAY more than Avis or Hertz for the dates we need the car. Same with U-Save...found no savings at all!

I have a reservation in Healy for 2 nights at the Denali Lakeview Inn. There's a $20 cancellation fee if I cancel at least 14 days out. You need to read cancellation policies for independent vendors and B&B-type places.

Nancy,

The thing about car coupons is that if you qualify for some other discount -- AAA, AARP, Costco, etc. -- you usually can't use it as well as the coupon and often using the coupon results in a higher cost.

I will check out the Denali Lakeview Inn. Have you made reservations in Vancouver, Seward, Anchorage and/or Talkeetna?

When does the Toursaver book come out? We will be away almost all of November. Do you think I wait until after we return to book excursions? I suppose excursions will have cancellation fees as well.

Nancy,

The thing about car coupons is that if you qualify for some other discount -- AAA, AARP, Costco, etc. -- you usually can't use it as well as the coupon and often using the coupon results in a higher cost.

That's often true. I have a Hertz car reserved at the AAA rate - no further coupon. I also have an Enterprise car reserved at the Entertainment rate, and the coupon itself was for 20% off the standard weekly rate.

I will check out the Denali Lakeview Inn. Have you made reservations in Vancouver, Seward, Anchorage and/or Talkeetna?

Oh my, have I!! :) I reserved 1 night at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward, 3 separate nights at 3 different Anchorage hotels (beginning, middle, and end of land trip), and we're not staying in Talkeetna. I have 2 nights reserved in Valdez but will probably change that to the Copper River Princess Lodge - IF there's a 2-for 1 Toursaver coupon! Only the Denali Lakeview Inn (2 nights) has a cancellation fee.

When does the Toursaver book come out? We will be away almost all of November. Do you think I wait until after we return to book excursions? I suppose excursions will have cancellation fees as well.

I think the Toursaver book will be out before the end of the year. You wouldn't believe how many people started posting here during the summer, just a few weeks before their cruise - asking for help picking their port excursions! I think you'd be one of the early birds - even if you waited until 2007 to book. Don't worry about it until after you return from overseas.

If you have the money, rather than Fairbanks, I would suggest doing a flightseeing tour from Talkeetna to Mt. McKinley. You can get 2-for-1 in the toursaver book (assuming they have that coupon next year). Book it for your way to Denali so that if it gets cancelled due to weather, you will have the chance to do it again on the way back to Anchorage.

What time of day is best for flightseeing tour to Mt. McKinley?

If we book a tour that gets cancelled, do you think they will still have availability on the way back? I'm under the impression that anything you want to do you must book early, or it will be full.

If you were choosing between flightseeing tour to Mt. McKinley, or helicopter tour to/over glacier, which would you do?

Thanks for your info.

Archived