NCL vs Carnival

M&MCruisin

This is my second cruise and the first with NCL. I have been told that NCL is very similar to the Carnival line, which, from what I have been told is more of a wild/party type ship. Can any one shed some light on the similarities and the disimilarities on NCL vs Carnival.

Also, we are going on the new Pearl in March, which is supposed to be like the Jewel...I kind of like all the bright cheery colors....but some think it makes the cruise less luxurious with the wild themes and colors...what do you think?

The first and main difference between the two is that NCL has "freestyle cruising". No assigned dining table and time. For me the bigger difference is the wait staff does not recreate the "Chippendales" show during your meal every night.

NCL is NOT nearly the party atmosphere that Carnival is.

They are both relatively casual in the clothing department. But, in my opinion the NCL crowd is just a little more classy in their casual attire.

PE

We had an absolute ball both times we cruised NCL (Once on Dream and once on Majesty). The Freestyle dining is so much nicer than having to be dressed and on time ... one of my girls ate Calimari every night at the Italian restaurant and then we dropped the kids off and went out for the night. Not a big party atmosphere ... but if you want a party, it's not hard to find one. The quality of the food and entertainment was second to none ... we're planning on another cruise, on the Star this time, down the Mexican Riviera ... can't wait!:D

We took our first 2 cruises on Carnival this year and are booked for the NCL Dawn in January. I'm not sure what all the hype is about Carnival being the "wild party ships with mediocre food", but it's just not true. We took the Legend out of NY so we wouldn't have to fly and the Legend is a great ship.

We have booked the Dawn for 3 reasons:

1) We have heard great things about it and NCL.

2) We are hooked on cruising out of NY.

3) We think freestyle cruising is right up our alley.

We spend a lot of time "cruising" the CC boards and you will hear great things about NCL. I learned not to pay too much attention to the naysayers after our experience with Carnival and some of the negative things we heard about them before our cruise. We enjoyed Carnival tremendously and we expect nothing less on the Dawn.

BTW, we are very particular about where we dine and where we stay on vacations. We'll let everyone know what we think about the Dawn in January.

Carnival isn't the party ship of years past: the party reputation now comes from the shorter cruises Carnival does. 3 and 4 day itineraries usually bring out the party life animals. (I don't mean they are really animals) as for being alike, I would put NCL closer to RCI than Carnival but all the mass marketed ships are about the same. Carnival will have more busy activities around the pool on sea days than NCL. NCL is a little more relaxed and I think has better service, but on any ship it depends on the particular sailing. If night life is what you want, yes, you can find it on NCL; not to the extent of Carnival. NMNita

I prefer to not read anything into other peoples statements. Your statement was so vague I was just asking for clarification. If it is just one of your typical snide jabs I completely understand and I will let it go at that.

PE

Please don't feed the troll, he likes to stir things up, and get people upset. I don't think he is what he seems, probably just a poser, and if he flames me, I will have the restraint not to respond.;)

MAC

M&M, Glad to hear that you are giving NCL a try. You should have a great cruise on the Pearl. NCL is different than Carnival. NCL offers a much larger selection in restaurants, as well as the freestyle dinning concept. Only you can determine if NCL Freestyle works for you. Some people love it, some people don't. I believe the entertainment and food, except for the pay extra venues, to be better on Carnival. I found the service to be similar on both lines.

Having done 2 Carnival cruises (the Triumph and the Legend), and having done one NCL ( The Dawn) in the past and one future booked for Dawn in the spring....I have to say that when it comes to Carnival it probably depends on the ship. The Legend is a very classy beautiful ship that we absolutely loved...had a wonderful time. The Triumph is not quite as classy but had just as good of a time. Carnival has excellant entertainment and more activities, ...better than NCL I have to say, although nobody beats Disney Cruiselines when it comes to "entertainment"...fabulous!

In the food department, buffets and food on Carnival has more variety and higher quality than NCL. However, both cruiselines have good if not excellant service and NCL has better speciality restaurants. I think the pools and spa is better on NCL. Carnvial is not a "party ship" as it use to be...at least it was not when we were on the Legend and the Triumph. Of course it is what you make of it and like someone said...you can always find a party if that is what you want. I thought NCL was more casual than Carnival in their dress code...both are fairly tolerant of dressing down, but not tolerant of jeans and t-shirts for dinner.

We loved both cruiselines and it's hard to decide which is better all around. The only reason we booked NCL again is due to "freestyle". We love it! Can't wait for Carnival to adopt something similar!

People that have not been on a Carnival cruise should not really knock it. They do a great job. The food in the main restaurants and the shows are much better. Also, cannot beat their military discounts.

We love NCL because of freestyle, but because to really get a good meal you have to book the specialty restaurants now, freestyle has lost alot of it's purpose.

We cruised Carnival this year and are already booked on them next year. As for being a Party Cruise Line, forget it, we are seniors and so was a good portion of the ship.

Hopefully we can go back to NCL because we are on the verge of becoming Gold, but they really should work on the food issue.

My favorite is NCL for the free style. I have been on two carnival cruises one was a 7 day the othe a 4 day. They were miles apart in terms of the type of people who sailed on them, the food and the service. The cost of the cruise obviously had an impact on this as well as the itinary. I will never do another 3 or 4 day cruise on Carnival but a 7 or more I would do.

I'm not sure what all the hype is about Carnival being the "wild party ships with mediocre food", but it's just not true.

It is a myth perpetuated by people who have never even stepped foot on a Carnival cruise ship or haven't tried it in the last 10 years or so... Carnival has made great strides to upgrade its cruise experience.

i just got off the Carnival Destiny last week , We had a great time with all our Cf friends , Next week i will be boarding the NCL spirit out of NY, this will be my first cruise with them I am looking forward to comparing the two . Can anyone tell me , will i be needing a formal dress for the freestyle dinning ? or is it all casual every night.

Archived