Tonight 48 Hours Mystery Season Premier

comfortcove

Very Strange 48 Hours mystery.

Couple goes on Carnival Paradise, boyfriend smuggles methadone onboard in a nyquil/dayquil bottle, girlfriend does not do drugs and tox tests prove that she is not a user, but she goes to bed and dies of a methadone overdose. Did I mention she was coming down with something and didn't feel well right before the cruise? And they think this has something to do with the cruise line and they want answers? And they have a suit filed against the cruise line??

Is it just me or is something wrong with this story?

I watched the program and it seems to me the obvious thing that happened is that she took some of the methadone, thinking it was Nyquil. They said as little as a teaspoon could be fatal. Whether the boyfriend told her what was in the bottle or not, or if he did and she forgot, no one will ever know.

I fail to see how the family can implicate or sue the cruise line in any of this. In fact, it looked like Carnival handled the situation extremely well (far better than it seems RCL did in the George Smith story).

Just my opinion.

have deep sympathy for the family, I fail to see how Carnival is liable for any of this, or what information the family thinks Carnival can further provide. It was determined it was methadone overdose. I can see more where the Smith family would like answers since they have no body, etc, but I am confused as to what more answers the family thinks CARNIVAL can give them.

Marie

My take is they're blaming Carnival because they feel the girl was alive when the 911 was dialed, and that if proper personnel/equipment responded to the "girlfriend ain't breathing" call for help, she would be alive. They only got that information because the boyfriend said she was alive -- the same guy that smuggled the drug onboard. He also said that he told her it was in the Nyquil/Dayquil bottle. Am I the only one that thinks he's the criminal here and HE is the only reason the girl died. Very sad story. It was clear to me (and, as a Carnival stockholder, hopefully many other cruises) that there doesn't appear to be any fault with the cruiseline. Can't figure out why there aren't any charges against the boyfriend -- if for nothing else than bringing drugs onboard??

My take is they're blaming Carnival because they feel the girl was alive when the 911 was dialed, and that if proper personnel/equipment responded to the "girlfriend ain't breathing" call for help, she would be alive. They only got that information because the boyfriend said she was alive -- the same guy that smuggled the drug onboard. He also said that he told her it was in the Nyquil/Dayquil bottle. Am I the only one that thinks he's the criminal here and HE is the only reason the girl died. Very sad story. It was clear to me (and, as a Carnival stockholder, hopefully many other cruises) that there doesn't appear to be any fault with the cruiseline. Can't figure out why there aren't any charges against the boyfriend -- if for nothing else than bringing drugs onboard??

Yes, I totally agree here. After what was watched, IF the boyfriend had not smuggled this onboard (and he admittedly said he did not get if from a doctor which to me means he obtained it illegally), she would be alive today. So.......................if anyone is to blame, I also feel it would be him. But, it also could have been an accident with her taking it and either not remembering, or him not telling her it was in there. So, in a very round about way, I totally agree, he is the only one that should share in the reason for her death.

And believing him that she was possibly still alive when rescue came to her aid, well, how much do you believe coming out of a druggies mouth to begin with?

I think the 48 Hours Mystery should be, how in the world are they allowed to put this stuff on the air in the first place? Attempting to implicate Carnival borders on libelous.:mad:

I thought they said at the beginning that the mother worked for CBS, so maybe thats how.

Vicki

It did not seem very mysterious to me, the poor girl died of an accidental methadone overdose. What they really need to do a show on is the deadly toxicity of methadone on those that aren't opiate tolerant (addicts). My god son died a couple of years ago from an accidental methadone overdose, similar kind of thing but not on a ship. He was only 16, and his mother (my bestfriend) will never be the same. Very tragic. She did not pursue any legal remedies against the parties involved, but she sure couls have.

Very Strange 48 Hours mystery.

Couple goes on Carnival Paradise, boyfriend smuggles methadone onboard in a nyquil/dayquil bottle, girlfriend does not do drugs and tox tests prove that she is not a user, but she goes to bed and dies of a methadone overdose. Did I mention she was coming down with something and didn't feel well right before the cruise? And they think this has something to do with the cruise line and they want answers? And they have a suit filed against the cruise line??

Is it just me or is something wrong with this story?

No it is not just you, it is me too. If the cruise lines are going to be held responsible for pax behaviour, sued, and be forced to make settlements (because it is easier to pay then fight) I suspect they are going to insist that pax are monitored 24/7. Little cameras everywhere. That would impact my cruising future.

The evening documentary programs have changed from interesting, news worthy and educational programs to late night soap operas, a 10-15 minute story stretched out to make an hour program.

As the parent of a DD I can only imagine the grief that this family is feeling and sympathize with them.

We will ALL pay the price if personal accountibility does not factor.

I think the 48 Hours Mystery should be, how in the world are they allowed to put this stuff on the air in the first place? Attempting to implicate Carnival borders on libelous.:mad:

I watched it and never got that impression. I thought that fingers were being pointed at the BF. I also thought he came across very sincerely, unlike Jennifer Smith.

Since RCI settled that case, I imagine that anyone thinking they have a snowballs chance to get money out of any cruise line with do just that.

I continue to be amazed that no one wants to accept responsibility for their own behavior, or the behavior of their children when something bad happens.

At the end of the story they asked the mother what she would advise for a 25 yr old girl getting on a cruise ship with friends and she said she would tell them not to. That is laughable. The take away from this to parents is to teach your kids not to date drug addicts. Anything can happen, from a drive by shooting to an accidental overdose from drugs hidden in a medicine bottle. Personally I think the parents share some of the blame and the daughter bears most of the blame for her extremely poor choice in a boyfriend. Depending on what kind of drugs this guy did or his friends did this girl could have ended up dying as a by-product of their activities in any number of ways.

I too was puzzled by their suit against the cruise line. When I mentioned it to my husband it was clear to him. The boyfriend has no money. There is nothing to be gotten from him. The cruise line has money so that is who they are trying to blame in order to profit from their daughters death.

I do find it absolutely amazing that they put this on TV.

Normally, I think 48 Hours is an interesting show. In this case, it was 60 minutes of saying that the boyfriend smuggled methadone onboard in a Dayquil bottle and the girl died of a methadone overdose. They could have covered this in five minutes. No mystery. And how/why they tied it into the George Smith case boggles my mind. The only connection is that they were all drinking and partying and happened to be on a cruise ship. Gee... I wonder if there would have been a story if she'd been in a Sheraton somewhere.

Just saw in the tv listings that 48 hours opens tonight with the mysterious death of a woman on a cruise. I really shouldn't watch, as we hope to be sailing away on the CB one week from today, but know I will. Thought some of you might be interested.

What about watching car accidents on the news and then riding/driving in a car????

Same thing but you still drive/ride right?? :eek:

I think the girls mother should be asking the authorities why the boyfriend

wasn't arrested for smuggling a controlled substance on board a ship without a valid prescription for it. The crew are not babysitters for these kind of people and should not be held responsible for their behavior. Notice that she has retained a high dollar/high profile lawyer for further her cause? I know she is in pain from the loss of her daughter, especially in such a sudden way and to have her body left in Mexico, but to try to

somehow make the cruise line look neglient for her overdose is taking it a

bit far - IMHO, it is nothing short of extortion on the part of her lawyer.

Archived