Any RV experience post-cruise??

cjnky

Since this board convinced me to "do it on our own", we'd like to rent an RV to tour like we do at home. Any tips will be appreciated!!

How many days will you have to tour? I recommend "Great Alaskan Holidays" for the RV rental. They do a great job and have no hidden extras.

http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/

There are many wonderful state and federal parks to choose from to stay at. Where are you debarking and where do you want to go?

I too have rented from Great Alaskan Holiday. Just be prepared, it probably won't be a "cheaper" way to go, but certainly worthwhile. Get at least a 24 foot RV, purchase the extra waiver insurance, damages are just about a given, and with a standard $1000 deductable, the added waiver, is worth the cost. If you really want the most comprehensive touring, go for 2 weeks, then you can really get to and enjoy some wonderful areas.

Thanks BQ! We thought the 22' would be fine for the two of us. 24' is that much better? Also - I guess I need to check with my personal vehicle insurance company, because I thought my coverage would apply to a rental. I had planned on a 7-day rental, but then decided we may need to extend it to 10 - now you're telling me 14!! LOL!!! I'm retiring a week before this trip, so finally time is NOT going to be a problem.

(cwestbrook - I've definitely copied all the info you posted in that thread!! THANK YOU!!)

I guess I need to check with my personal vehicle insurance company, because I thought my coverage would apply to a rental.

Double check. Most insurances, be it personal vehicle insurance or coverage through a credit card, seem to cover collision damage for vehicles on a car chassis. Things like pick up trucks, some SUV's and RV's are usually not covered by such policies. But definitely check.

Even if it is covered by your personal vehicle insurance, note that if the RV company sticks you with damages, your personal auto insurance rates might increase due to the 'claim.'

Thanks BQ! We thought the 22' would be fine for the two of us. 24' is that much better? Also - I guess I need to check with my personal vehicle insurance company, because I thought my coverage would apply to a rental.

THANK YOU!!)

If you go with Great Alaska and probably anyone else, GET THE INSURANCE!. I tell you this without hesitation. Something will happen to the RV. One scratch or ding will eat up the deductible of $250. Even if your own insurance will cover something you have to pay them cash when you turn it in and then collect from your insurance. My brother had it for one week and some how got a scratch we didn't see, under the mirror. We think it may have happened on the Ferry. Anyway, the said it would have been like $1000 to repair. He had the insurance so it cost him the $250.

Thanks BQ! We thought the 22' would be fine for the two of us. 24' is that much better? Also - I guess I need to check with my personal vehicle insurance company, because I thought my coverage would apply to a rental. I had planned on a 7-day rental, but then decided we may need to extend it to 10 - now you're telling me 14!! LOL!!! I'm retiring a week before this trip, so finally time is NOT going to be a problem.

(cwestbrook - I've definitely copied all the info you posted in that thread!! THANK YOU!!)

Yes, at least a 24 foot, if you want a permanent lower bed. The converted dining table, or couch is not all that comfortable and remaking it every day is a pain- remember no "maid service". :) If the overhead bed is OK, again, one person is usually "trapped" on the inside, it can be more comfortable than the convertable lower beds. I greatly prefer a fixed lower bed. Determine what is your priority.

My insurance did not and still does not cover any RV's. You do need to specifically get it in writing if yours happens to cover them. And double check exclusions.

Please check that your insurance not only covers any damage repairs but also covers NON USE of the vehicle. Most personal insurance does not. And the rental companies (cars included) have every right to bill for loss of income for non use of the vehicle. Could be thousands of dollars if the vehicle is out of commission in a repair facility.

Get any RV that has a fixed bed and not one you have to crawl into over the cab. We had a RV years ago with a bed over the cab. About 6 times crawling into and trying to sleep in a very confined space and DH traded it in for another model. It was hot and very stuffy up there.

Archived