Time to open up a can of worms. Swim Diapers?

redneck_dan

I had always thought that the cruise ship pools were just for show. It is a place to lay next to in the sun with your favorite beverage. The only two times that you are supposed to actually enter the pool:

1) Belly flop contest.

2) When you have to take a piss.

There is no chlorine in the pools ???? I did not know this... How does it stay clean? This sounds really gross to me. I don't even like to take a bath in my own bathtub. I am NOT going to swim in filthy water with people I don't even know. Maybe I'm just being weird...

After being at the beach with my son in swim diapers last weekend, I finally understand the need for a no swim diapers rule in public pools. We discovered for the first time that what starts out as a clean diaper does not necessarily STAY clean. A child who is not potty trained won't be able to hold it until conveniently removed from the water. Let's just say that sitting in all that water can turn a normally firm poopy diaper very liquidy before you know it. The diaper did not adequately contain the mess. We were unaware of the situation until we took him out of the water. I can now easily see how this could be a major contamination issue in a pool. With 2 kids, this is the first time we have experienced something like this, but I'm sure it must be fairly common, hence the need for the rule. I never really thought much about it before, but I'm a believer now!

But what if the ocean doesn't have any water that day? LOL

If my child was still in diapers, I'd leave him/her OUT of the pool, just for everyone else's sake. I have a pool at home for that (lots of chlorine). Of course the ocean water at the beach (oh yea, same water) is clean because they don't have sewers running into them right?

Also, along with the extension cord, cable (for cable tv), the ship must have some long stretchy sewer line, right?

Guest Time2gocruzn

Okay since we are being so gross, here goes. Now I have seen these swimming pool debates several times. I have 2 kids, 1 out of diapers, 1 in diapers. Now, as a mother, I am aware of when my kids have to "go" and I would not choose a time that I thought this was going to happen as a time to go swimming. This worked fine w/ my 1st one and he never had "that kind" of an accident while in swim diapers. But to be frank, this is what I think every time I see this debate. Ladies, back me up here if you are brave enough. I have a DH and I also lived w/ a family for a while who had 3 men in the house ranging in age from 45-17. Also have done laundry for other men over the years, wether it be friend or family. Ahhhh...how to put this delicately... Can you say SKIDMARKS?! :eek: I mean THAT is gross, and there are tons of MEN in the pool also. There are also people in the pool with skin conditions and open wounds you don't even notice. I think that it is just a fact of life that pools and hot tubs are just going to have gross stuff you don't want to know about in there, wether there are babies in there or not. Fact of life. If you can't live with it, stay out of the pool.:D

Actually, they do put chlorine in those salt water pools! Look at it this way:
The salt water pools are emptied every night and filled every morning, and yes...they are chlorinated. So, you basically get uncontaminated pools (except for hot tubs) each morning. Now...about those freshwater pools on HAL and Princess! They are NOT emptied and re-filled every day! And...that water is desalinated, but it takes thousands of gallons to fill up those pools, and even though each ship has their own desalination facility, that water is used for showers, toilets, sinks, and everything else you need fresh water for. It's not cost-effective to re-fill fresh water pools every day. Just because they are fresh water (desalinated), doesn't necessarily mean they are cleaner than the salt-water pools, and both are chlorinated. The salt water pools are actually less salty than pure ocean water. Having said all this, people of any age will pee in any kind of pool/hot tub! Just an FYI for everyone, and I promise not to wear my Swim Depends in any pool! (I promise not to pee in them, either :))!! I just take quick dips to cool off, anyway.

[quote name='djklove']If you can't live with it, stay out of the pool.:D[/QUOTE]

It is *extremely* inconsiderate to put babies with diapers in a public pool or hot tub. Accidents do happen. There is always a sign by the hot tub that says something like "for health reasons babies in diapers are not permitted in the hot tub". Do you read the sign and say "the heck with it, I'll just do it anyway"?

I won't swim in your toilet, but please keep your diapers out of my pool.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy]djklove - It isn't about swim diapers being gross, it is about the health hazards involved if someone swallows water that is contaminated by feces and then contracts e-coli. The rule is in effect for the protection of all swimmers, including your children. How sad would it be for a child to get deathly ill just because another parent was not responsible enough to keep their non-potty trained child out of the pool? [/color][/font]

Guest Time2gocruzn
EASY THERE LOU AND SNOWBALL...Lets not get our drawers in a bunch. I have never put my kids in a [i]cruise ship[/i] pool, so no need to go jumping down my throat about it. My point was that there are all kinds of gross things in ALL pools. Even if you are in a pool that a baby has never been in, there is still going to be some pretty gross stuff in there. Don't think you are all safe just because there are no babies in the pool. [i]That[/i] was my point. No need to try to teach me a lesson or anything about pool etiquite. Thanks anyway. I understand the rules and intend on following them. Thank you for not swimming in my toilet. I am profoundly greatful. :D LOL! . Boy, it is just about impossible to post anything on this board without somebody jumping all over you about it...

[quote name='mtd716']After being at the beach with my son in swim diapers last weekend, I finally understand the need for a no swim diapers rule in public pools. We discovered for the first time that what starts out as a clean diaper does not necessarily STAY clean. A child who is not potty trained won't be able to hold it until conveniently removed from the water. Let's just say that sitting in all that water can turn a normally firm poopy diaper very liquidy before you know it. The diaper did not adequately contain the mess. We were unaware of the situation until we took him out of the water. I can now easily see how this could be a major contamination issue in a pool. With 2 kids, this is the first time we have experienced something like this, but I'm sure it must be fairly common, hence the need for the rule. I never really thought much about it before, but I'm a believer now![/QUOTE]
THANK GOD!!!! Finally, a parent I can relate to. Thank you for realizing the sanitation issues with this and admitting to it. * bows to parents of knowledge* Please don't think I am kidding either. You have NO idea how many parents have yet to figure this out. :)

[quote name='djklove']I have 2 kids, 1 out of diapers, 1 in diapers. Now, as a mother, I am aware of when my kids have to "go" and I would not choose a time that I thought this was going to happen as a time to go swimming. This worked fine w/ my 1st one and he never had "that kind" of an accident while in swim diapers.[/QUOTE][quote name='djklove']I understand the rules and intend on following them.[/QUOTE]Looks like you are contradicting yourself there. :rolleyes:

My intention was not to "jump on" you (which I clearly did not), but to explain the reason for the rule's existence and to stress the seriousness of what could happen if the rule is ignored at any pool, not just one on a cruise ship.

Archived