How do y'all afford to cruise so often??

P.S. It's really had for me to relate to those cruisers who insist that they just can't possibly enjoy their vacation if they don't have a balcony suite, a half-dozen different excursions, and so on. When I was a kid, "vacation" usually meant a weekend drive to the shore or a local state park--so just being on a cruise ship or staying at a hotel feels like a real indulgence. :)

--Michelle

Our first cruises were spaced years apart because we were raising our family. The year our two daughters married a few months apart we didn't cruise:D, but we have once a year since then. I save money out of every paycheck and yet try not to dip into that money for the cruise. We don't spend any extra money that comes in from pay raises or bonus ( they don't amount to that much and are not a sure thing every year) We have our home paid for years ago by living way below our means. We drive used vehicles and most of the time we eat at home.. and I bring my lunch to work. I also use my RCI cc for most purchases that I would make anyway, like groceries or gifts paid off every month. This gives me nice OBC. My DH uses his card for his business expenses and earns airmiles that has covered our airfare for our last few cruises.On the ship we don't gamble, shop, drink alcohol ( we do buy the soda cards though) usually only take one excursion with the ship, and we usually book early. We do book balcony cabins, we just enjoy the fresh air and privacy of relaxing in our cabin or on the balcony. DH can nap while I read or just enjoy the ocean. I book airfare myself, and have stopped using a TA because she charges a fee and gives no perks and charges a penalty if you need to cancel. :( There are lots of other ways to save money that won't work for everyone, but it's fun to see how much you can save!

P.S. It's really had for me to relate to those cruisers who insist that they just can't possibly enjoy their vacation if they don't have a balcony suite, a half-dozen different excursions, and so on. When I was a kid, "vacation" usually meant a weekend drive to the shore or a local state park--so just being on a cruise ship or staying at a hotel feels like a real indulgence. :)

--Michelle

When you are younger you are probably up and about doing lots of activites and really only use your cabin for sleeping and showering. We did too when we first cruised. Now however, we enjoy the relaxation of the balcony cabins. Just prefer it. Without it I would spend most of my time on deck while my DH napped in the cabin. That's just the way we are and it works for us. When our kids were young we saved Zest soap coupons to be able to stay at a Holiday Inn- one room and 4 kids. Road trips a half a dozen times during their childhood. One cruise for all of us when the oldest was 18 and the youngest 13. My childhood? No vacation trips to see the Grand Canyon or Washington DC or DisneyLand. No vacation trips at all. So I guess now that I am an adult and the large task of childrearing is coming to an end I can make the choice to cruise with a balcony cabin and not feel silly about it. Preferences and lifestyles usually change with each stage of life and yours likely will too and then you will be able to relate. ( I also can't imagine what it would have been like to be able to travel right out of college... I had no money!:D)

So I guess now that I am an adult and the large task of childrearing is coming to an end I can make the choice to cruise with a balcony cabin and not feel silly about it. Preferences and lifestyles usually change with each stage of life and yours likely will too and then you will be able to relate. ( I also can't imagine what it would have been like to be able to travel right out of college... I had no money!:D)

Oh, absolutely! I don't think it's silly at all to spend money on a balcony cabin or anything else you really enjoy if you have the money and it's worth it to you. (In fact, I'm glad there are people who do spend that kind of money--the cruise lines probably couldn't stay in business with only super-cheap travelers like me.) ;) And yes, I do intend to try some pricier itineraries and/or accommodations when I have the means. I just hate to see people go into debt for lifestyles that can't nearly afford, yet somehow feel entitled too. And those can't-be-pleased cruisers (you know the ones) who forget that any day at sea is better than a day at work!

As for being able to travel right out of college--it's awesome! I have to be very consciously frugal to make it work, of course, but I've also had some incredible luck. Graduating with no debt, having tons of paid vacation time, low cost of living, home close to the port--I'm very fortunate indeed.

--Michelle

Oh, absolutely! I don't think it's silly at all to spend money on a balcony cabin or anything else you really enjoy if you have the money and it's worth it to you. (In fact, I'm glad there are people who do spend that kind of money--the cruise lines probably couldn't stay in business with only super-cheap travelers like me.) ;) And yes, I do intend to try some pricier itineraries and/or accommodations when I have the means. I just hate to see people go into debt for lifestyles that can't nearly afford, yet somehow feel entitled too. And those can't-be-pleased cruisers (you know the ones) who forget that any day at sea is better than a day at work!

As for being able to travel right out of college--it's awesome! I have to be very consciously frugal to make it work, of course, but I've also had some incredible luck. Graduating with no debt, having tons of paid vacation time, low cost of living, home close to the port--I'm very fortunate indeed.

--Michelle

Fortunate, yes! But, you're also very smart. Spend less than you earn, save and invest the difference, increase the amount of your savings by 1/2 of the net amount of your annual increase in pay, and in the end you'll be comfortable and able to continue to enjoy cruises.

We're with you on the inside cabins. We would rather get a great deal and be able to cruise a little more frequently. We enjoyed two 14 day cruises (Panama Canal and Trans Atlantic) in 2007, but none this year. It was just too expensive, with fuel surcharges and airline prices increasing every other week. We did a couple of Staycations, at the Oregon Coast, but, now that fuel prices are dropping, we hope to be back cruising early next year on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and back.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I love cruising and like others I use my credit card to earn miles for airfares and book oceanview cabins instead of balconies. I did book a balcony when I took my daughters to Hawaii for their college graduation presents but other than that the oceanview is just fine (am a little claustrophobic so inside doesn't work for me). I also watch the specials on line and when a trip comes along that is a great price I book it, cruising off season is especially inexpensive. I also watch the airline prices because they change from day to day. When a promotion or price comes along that I like, I already know which cruise I want to go on and book them both right away. I am hoping I can continue to go once or twice a year until I retire and then will use the profits (the stock market will improve by the time I am ready) to finance cruises. I like to visit the cities we stop in and find something local to do, cooking classes, sailing, or just lying on the beach works too. Any time a cruise is under $100 a day I start considering it. I also watch the sites after I book and contact the cruise line to get a reduction or on board credit. Some lines do it some don't but it never hurts to ask.

I am still fairly new to cruising, but myself and the boyfriend are deal watchers! We are 25/26 years old and neither of us are in lucrative jobs.

Offseason is much cheaper and we usually cling to weekends. We don't drink on the cruises and pick cheap excursions if at all. We have a blast and it makes us happier knowing how much we are saving and how short our bill is at the end of the trip. I can't imagine the sticker-shock the drinkers get!

I booked our next cruise last night.. a $99 (plus tax) 3 day to the Bahamas. We drive to the ports which saves money also. :)

Just keep your eye on Orbitz and play around with the options. I'm noticing this year alot of great 5-7 day, $200-$300 deals that I'd jump on if I had the vacation time!

I am still fairly new to cruising, but myself and the boyfriend are deal watchers! We are 25/26 years old and neither of us are in lucrative jobs.

Offseason is much cheaper and we usually cling to weekends. We don't drink on the cruises and pick cheap excursions if at all. We have a blast and it makes us happier knowing how much we are saving and how short our bill is at the end of the trip. I can't imagine the sticker-shock the drinkers get!

I booked our next cruise last night.. a $99 (plus tax) 3 day to the Bahamas. We drive to the ports which saves money also. :)

Just keep your eye on Orbitz and play around with the options. I'm noticing this year alot of great 5-7 day, $200-$300 deals that I'd jump on if I had the vacation time!

Can you believe that 17 years ago we took our first cruise. It was a 3 day Bahamas on Fantasy and cost us $1000 for inside cabins. :p

I found our bill for the Freedom a few years ago and it was under $400 but that included gratuities,an excursion, soda cards, a few glasses of wine, and one bingo game, some Johnny Rocket meals, and a few Ben and Jerry charges and a purchase in one of the gift shops:). Not too bad, but even that is more than what you are paying for your cruise.. good job!

We enjoyed two 14 day cruises (Panama Canal and Trans Atlantic) in 2007, but none this year. It was just too expensive, with fuel surcharges and airline prices increasing every other week.

I hear you there. I would love to do a transatlantic, and there are some great deals to be had right now. This month, Royal Caribbean is offering a 14-night Barcelona sailing for $399 (inside) as they reposition the Voyager in Galveston. I was seriously tempted, but the daily fuel surcharge and autograt almost doubles that price, airfare to Barcelona is astronomical, and if we were going to fly to Europe, we'd want to spend some time on land as well. Not happening this time. Probably not next year, either. :(

--Michelle

I hear you there. I would love to do a transatlantic, and there are some great deals to be had right now. This month, Royal Caribbean is offering a 14-night Barcelona sailing for $399 (inside) as they reposition the Voyager in Galveston. I was seriously tempted, but the daily fuel surcharge and autograt almost doubles that price, airfare to Barcelona is astronomical, and if we were going to fly to Europe, we'd want to spend some time on land as well. Not happening this time. Probably not next year, either. :(

--Michelle

I am a major cheapskate, ok, not really...LOL When it comes to cruising I am. We have done 4 transatlantics. Our first was $450 per person, airfare, about $800 pp (with the cruiseline). Our total for the trip for two was about $3500 with all tours and 2 extra days in Rome. I still think that was amazing and doubtful we could have done a tour for that price! Our next cost quite a bit more due to a bad travel agent (oh well), but the last two were also around $400-$499 for a 14 day cruise. The biggest tip I will give someone wanting to do a ta? Pay attention on a daily basis! As the sail date gets closer, the lines do some crazy things. They will make all outside cabins the same price and cheaper than inside cabins, etc......If you watch everyday, you can get a great perk! The heck with even the online ta's. It never costs me a dime to upgrade/change my reservation with the cruiseline.......

We are a couple just out of college who recently discovered we love to travel together and want to cruise as much as possible! Despite our low incomes, we've managed to book three cruises in a little over a year.

Just wanted to thank you for your post! I, too, am just out of college and therefore also have limited income. I use a lot of the same tactics to save for vacation, though I tend to prefer land-based vacations (that might be different if I had a cruise port I could drive to!)

Since I don't have someone to split rent with (that's one sacrifice I'm not willing to make), here are my cost-cutting suggestions so I have money for vacations!! ;)

• Put any unexpected money in a dedicated travel savings account - this includes work bonuses, tax refunds, etc. Also make sure the bank transfers money to this account automatically from your paycheck so you're less tempted to spend it on other things.
  • Research how to do things independently. Cruise Critic is a great resource! For a lot of things, it's necessary to go with a tour (for example, my upcoming zipline excursion in Belize), but even then you can save money by booking an independent excursion not through the ship...but for my Spain trip, I have done a lot of research on how to use public transportation to get to attractions and I've even downloaded podcasts for walking tours of the Prado and historic neighborhoods. You save a lot of money by doing things on your own instead of taking a ship excursion or guided tours of the city.
  • Walk or bike instead of drive as much as possible. Now that it's almost winter, this is less practical for me but during summer it saved a lot of gas money. If you can, get a gas efficient car!
  • Brown bag lunch as much as possible and avoid sodas/snacks from the vending machine. Make dinner at home instead of eating out - it's cheaper and healthier, too! I also try not to go out for happy hours often or buy coffee in the morning. Sometimes it's GOOD to go out for lunch or after work as a networking tool, but mostly it's just an expensive habit.
  • Save on salon costs by giving yourself a manicure (or trading with a friend!) and coloring your own hair.
  • Use a credit card that offers rewards of some sort (hotel points, airline miles, cruise rewards, or my preference: CASH BACK!!). Pay it off in full and on time every month to avoid high interest and other fees.
  • Use garage sales, secondhand stores, and Craigslist to find furniture or other items for cheap!
  • Use generic brands if you can and use coupons when you can't. I love to shop at the dollar store - I regularly find name-brand items like cleaning supplies or toothpaste.
  • Travel in the off-season to save money and as an extra bonus, avoid crowds. Also, stay at basic accomodations (inside staterooms instead of suites; Holiday Inn instead of Ritz Carlton) and instead spend the money on your next cruise!
  • Rent DVDs from your local library instead of going out to the movies. It's even cheaper than Blockbuster.
  • Don't buy cable TV. You can watch most TV shows streamed via the internet for free now (legally) if you are willing to wait a week for the episodes to be posted online.
  • Be flexible with where you go! I am looking into where I want to go this coming fall, and since I have several options in mind, I can jump on a sale where I see it. I saw dozens of repositioning cruises this fall at unbelievably low prices, but unfortunately most of them were longer than the amount of vacation time I had available.
  • Most importantly...make a budget and stick to it! I track expenses in a spreadsheet to make sure I don't overspend.

At some point, I'm sure I won't have to be quite this frugal (though old habits may die hard LOL), but since my priority is travelling they are sacrifices I am willing to make. This has helped me save for two trips per year, plus my family's annual weekend reunion in Toronto. This year I have my cruise in December and Spain in April...and maybe if I'm lucky, another weekend getaway :D Now I just need more time off from work!

The truth is that most of us are liars. Oh sure, we've probably all been on one or two cruises, but those claims of having been on dozens of cruises are all made up. In the anonymous world of the Internet we just make stuff up to impress all these other anonymous people that we will never meet...:eek:

LOL! this guyis something else. Yes, I know some are liars on thisboard, but I do not believe it is the majority.

We are like you, HOW do they do it? We have gone on 3 since 2004, we go every other year. Would love to do more, but we save and pay cash - don't like cc's unless the bill is paid in full each month. No kids but retirment is in a few years and then maybe more.

I read over on the cruise rituals board the thread "How much have you spent on a cruise?" You posted on that thread you had spent $4000 on the ship sign and sail card on one cruise. You justified this by saying you had been caring for your mother with Alzheimers and it had became necessary to put her in a home and you flet badly about this-so your hubby wnated to treat you by living it up that cruise-which BTW I undestand, my mother and I had to do the same with my father when we could no longer care for him at home as he needed 24/7 care and it was too much for the two of us to handle by oursleves.

I can tell you right now I may spend $4000 TOTAL, this includes intial cruise cost, hotels, drive down to port, tips, excursions, our sign and sail card etc. Heck we even did our 12 day transatlantic cruise and 3 day pre cruise stay in England last year for around $6000 total.

If people did not feel they had to buy everything that is offered on a cruise-perhaps they could cruise more often. We average a cruise about once every 8 months. We usually do a cruise once a year, but sometimes we manage a second shorter cruise in the same year.

It is not hard to budget and still enjoy yourself. I simply ask myself do I really want such and such? If I decide it is not going to bring me that much enjoyment I do not buy.

It is sort've like going to the grocery store. You can blow the budget by buying lots of junkie stuff that has no nutritionial value or you can buy the necessities and allow one or two treats for you family. Either way, your family does not start to death, but if you have budgeted, you can save your family hundreds on the food bill and probally hundreds on medicial bills later on down the road.

Iv got 5 cruises booked next year and all on a budget. One was free if I booked another cruise in 2010. Two were cheapies and short cruises. You can do short cruises much cheaper. Leaving two more 7 day cruises, booked thru a discounter on one with the special 1A that has two windows. On the Voyager, we did inside guarantees, got PR cabins :), and then I have $300 off thru my RCL Visa.

2010 looks like a couple in the higher price range however, but Ill deal with that then.

I can tell you right now I may spend $4000 TOTAL, this includes intial cruise cost, hotels, drive down to port, tips, excursions, our sign and sail card etc. Heck we even did our 12 day transatlantic cruise and 3 day pre cruise stay in England last year for around $6000 total.

And see, to me, that's still too much! No matter the cruise, I couldn't justify more than $2000.. ever. My max has been around $500 for cruise, tax, transportation, etc., but this will be upped as I have a 7 day dance cruise in April (to grand cayman, cozumel, belize city, and roatan) which will probably total around $1350 by the time it's all done.

And see, to me, that's still too much! No matter the cruise, I couldn't justify more than $2000.. ever. My max has been around $500 for cruise, tax, transportation, etc., but this will be upped as I have a 7 day dance cruise in April (to grand cayman, cozumel, belize city, and roatan) which will probably total around $1350 by the time it's all done.

But the world is bigger than the Caribbean ;)

Is that pp?

Is that pp?

Yes. :)

But the world is bigger than the Caribbean ;)

I wouldn't take the cruise option then. :p Especially with Europe.. having spent 2 Summers living in Italy, some places require staying late into the night to experience the culture. A cruise can't provide that sometimes!

My point was this gal said she could not afford to cruise but once every 2 years. NO WONDER if she has $4000 tabs-that was what she spent ON SHIP-NOT what she paid for the cruise.

I understand what you are saying. We may can afford a little more but we are not big spenders. Fortunately we are not soda drinkers, we do not gamble, and we are not big on alcoholic drinks. Our tab runs between $500-$800 normally and that includes me booking that therapy pool pass in the spa, my hubby going diving, and a meal at the pay extra restaurant. Usually that also includes 2 -4 drinks a day total. I have maybe 1 and my hubby usually has 2, occasionially 3. Now it depends on the line, sometimes we tip out of pocket intead of putting it on our tab. Even when we have the gratiuties on our tab, we will still give our steward and waiters a little extra, as we tip a little better than suggested.

Our next cruise is on NCL and we plan to do several of the pay extra restaurants-so I am sure our tab will run a little higher. But we have budgeted for this, and we received such a great price for the cruise that we do not mind paying more for speciality restaurants. Our tab on ship may hit $1000 this time but it certainly will be no where near $4000.

I know that definetley we can do a 7 day and a 4 day cruise both, cheaper than Alamo girl does one. We would actually probally come out a little better than her, as we can ususlly book a 4 day cruise for around $1500 and our tab runs us for a 4 day around $300.

BTW, we normally pay for our daughter's cruise fare-although she has HER OWN TAB that she pays on ship.

Also, I can honestly say I never feel deprived whenever I am on ship. I buy what I want-I guess I just do not want as much as others.

Alamo girl, here's a tip for you. HAL allows you to bring wine on ship. Since you love champagne, you may want to consider booking HAL. You could book a balcony and sip your minosa on your balcony for much less than $4000 I am sure. Heck, you book HAL, you could afford to go once a year, and perhaps even more often.

Is that pp?

In my case I was talking about total. Alamo girl was talking aobut a total for her and her hubby.

As I said previously, we normally pay for our daughter's cruise fare, but our tab is just for the two of us, as she pays her own tab on ship.

Very interesting thread. This past August was my 12th cruise, but my first was back in 1991. Now that the kids are grown, my DH and I usually cruise twice a year - one weekend get-away and one 7 to 10 days. We are lucky enough to live in Florida which has 5 cruise ports, but as one poster stated - there is more to the world of cruising than the Caribbean! We did go to Alaska, and definitely plan on returning.

The point to most of the posts is that with planning, researching, and then sticking to a budget - you can cruise more than once every 2 or 3 years. In August we took our 2nd family cruise which consisted of 3 grown sons, 3 daughters-in-law, and 2 grandbabies. We booked 4 rooms on the Glory and the total tab for all 4 rooms and all 10 people was $5525 for the 7-day cruise. We paid for the cruise, and everyone had their own onboard account. I do not feel that this was unreasonable, and the week we spent together was priceless.

Out next 2 cruises are also within budget: an 8-day out of Ft Lauderdale for under $1300 total, and a weekender out of Port Canaveral for under $500. We generally book inside rooms (get the best sleep in those dark rooms!), we go to the casino every night, and enjoy a few drinks during the day. As we are soda drinkers, the soda card is always a good bargain for us.

For our 35th anniversary in 2011 we will return to Alaska. We will splurge and book a balcony room, and will need to figure in airfare. A special account will be set up in 2009 to help pay for this cruise, using many of the savings ideas that "bqkali" stated.

Cruising is, to me, one of the best ways to vacation. I do not plan on stopping, I will pay a fuel surcharge if necessary, I will budget my onboard spending - but what I get from a week at sea is worth everything. Nothing soothes my soul as standing at the rail and feeling the salty breeze and looking out at the water. It is what keeps me going during my "land excursions" between cruises.

Yes. :)

I wouldn't take the cruise option then. :p Especially with Europe.. having spent 2 Summers living in Italy, some places require staying late into the night to experience the culture. A cruise can't provide that sometimes!

Beleive it or not-we spent nearly as much for our 3 days precruise in england as we did on board ship. and NOTHING extravagant either-it was sinmply expensive.

Our cruise-taxes everything was $2350 for 12 days-we went to Versailes as one of our tours which was pricy. we also did another ship sponsered tour where we went to a pub in Dublion, Ireland and watch irish dancers-those two tours ran us $500, (Versailles $150 each, the pub $75 each)we paid for them precruise. Our tab on ship for the 12 days was $500. The day in Cork we took a train on our own and then a bus and went to Blarney Castle-that ran us around $100 total. In Plymouth, England I just shopped, my hubby did go to that castle nearby but he did not spend much, I don't think the admission was over $20 and I bought very little, maybe $20. So all that ran just slightly above $3000.

Now precrusie in England is what got us. We took a tour to Stoenhenge and Bath, that cost us $350 in US money, our hotels was around $200 night-$600 Westminster Abbey was 10 pounds to tour-so at that time $20 in US money-so $40.

We spent around $400 in taxis, trainfare, getting around our 3 days in England and also getting first to our hotel in London, and then to Dover. What really got us the worst was our meals, the 3 days in England. One lunch cost us 25 pounds-so $50, after that I stopped exchanging the rates because I did not want to know what we spent for meals- but I imagine we spent at least a good $500 in 3 days just for food-and these were "average Joe" restaurants-not four star.

Now we did a tour in New Foundland that cost us $80 that we did not book through the ship, and I suppose if we add that on along all the souvneiors we bought, plus the cost of a couple of musuems (they were cheap maybe $40 US total for both) that we did on our own, one in Halifax, Novia Scotia, and one in Cobb, Ireland, I am guessing we spent around $3800 total the twelve days we were on ship which includes, cost of crusie, on board accounts, the tours, soveniors, everything.

But heck we spent HALF that amount pre cruise in England.

BTW, we used skymiles, so our flight to England cost us $25!

anyway, unless Italy is WAY out cheaper than England, I have no idea how you think styaing in Europe is cheaper than a cruise.

Yes you will see more, which is why we are planning a land based trip to Paris next summer-(and possibly Rome if we can swing it) but CHEAPER-no way. We expect to spend $9000 at least, for 12 days inhtose 2 cities next summer

anyway, unless Italy is WAY out cheaper than England, I have no idea how you think styaing in Europe is cheaper than a cruise.

Yes you will see more, which is why we are planning a land based trip to Paris next summer-(and possibly Rome if we can swing it) but CHEAPER-no way. We expect to spend $9000 at least, for 12 days inhtose 2 cities next summer

I'd figured out for trip last year (which we ended up not being able to take) which would have been around 1 1/2 weeks for $2500 each including airfare, hotel, transportation, and food. The cities were Lisbon, Madrid, and Barcelona staying at cheap hotels/hostels and flying via easyjet/ryanair. We're thrifty because it's the only way we'd be able to do anything! :)

Italy IS cheaper because of exchange rates. Thats the reason I have not been to London.. yet. ;)

It all boils down to levels of comfort. My parents are on the cheaper side also, but the family joke is that if it doesn't have a color TV,mom says it's camping! I was a Sociology major in college so I just enjoy people watching. I'm not a fan of fancy places to eat or art museums. I DO like to walk around and take pretty pictures, which is free (until I do my 1 hour Walmart developing!) I'm sure if I had a bigger budget I'd throw in a tour here and there, but until then, I do reseach online ahead of time and get my own agendas planned out. We did this for Nassau and had a blast instead of a city tour. Actually, I do this everywhere we go. It's like a big puzzle/challenge to me in the end. :)

Archived