Restless Native Catamaran review

Sue L

We took the "Restless Native Catamaran" tour last Wednesday 9/20. It is described as the pink catamaran that serves homemade cookies on board. Well let me tell you, that in 10 cruises it was probably one of the best tours we have ever taken.

The catamaran met us right at the pier where the Explorer docks in King's Wharf. The crew consisted of Nigel the captain, his brother Christien, the cookie baker Tom and one of the best guides we have had the pleasure of knowing, Karen. They were all absolutely wonderful. Tom, it was first time makeing the cookies, outdid himself and made delicious chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies on our sail across the bay to a secluded cove which was ideal for snorkeling.

On the ride over Karen had picture cards with the fish we were likely to see on the reef. Not only did she tells us the names of the fish but their feeding and mating habits and what role they played in the ecosystem of the reef. She was extremely knowledgable about the island and went into great detail of the government and some of their policies, which made for a very interesting and informative ride.

When we arrived at the reef we were in a secluded cove with a little beach that had a ton of beach glass and pristine waters. They lowered a set of stairs underneath the boat which dropped you off into waist deep waters. There was beautiful soft sand under your feet so you could get acclimated to the water and your surroundings. It was just a short swim to one of the most beautiful and bountiful reefs I have ever snorkeled at. The fish literrally numbered in the thousands. Karen swam right along with us with a "flag" on her mask to easily spot her and pointed out any fish that she had not discussed. We had about 1 1/2 hours to explore the reefs and I even had time to collect a nice collection of beach glass.

On the way back they served Rum Swizzles ( yummy) and served more cookies. They also had a cute little store on board with nice shell necklaces and other local items.

I would highly reccommend this tour to anyone planning to visit Bermuda

Sue

• 4 months later...

Hi there, Sue.

Thank you so much for your review! My DH and I are planning on a Bermuda cruise with some friends of ours in July, and we have all signed up for the Restless Native Catamaran Cruise, and looking very forward to it. Do you by chance remember the name of the beach where they took you? I was just curious, and also trying to plan a little bit, since our time will be somewhat limited. Thanks so much for your info! :D

Melinda

Hi there, Sue.

Thank you so much for your review! My DH and I are planning on a Bermuda cruise with some friends of ours in July, and we have all signed up for the Restless Native Catamaran Cruise, and looking very forward to it. Do you by chance remember the name of the beach where they took you? I was just curious, and also trying to plan a little bit, since our time will be somewhat limited. Thanks so much for your info! :D

Melinda

Hi there, Sue.

Melinda

We're on the Explorer in May and there is an excursion for an ultimate catamaran/snorkel/sail/swim. It doesn't mention Restless Native. I'm wondering if it's the same 'tour'. We've never snorkeled but are thinking about trying it out and this may be a good time for the first attempt. Unfortunately we both wear glasses and know that our 'sight'seeing won't be as clear. I'm also wondering if R. Native has a website. All suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks. Poohb

Hey folks.

I just did a little research on the net, and I found this website:

http://www.bermudarentals.com/default.asp?adnum=33

It is actually a website for various accomodation rentals, BUT if you scroll down toward the bottom, there is also a list of various charter boat rentals. It mentions the name of a fellow which has a charter boat called "The Restless Native" (don't know if it's the same one or not), and it gives his email.

Also, there is a company that I have been in touch with regarding various water activities called "Fantasea", which is in Hamilton, I believe. They offer everything it seems from Catamaran tours to jet skis to snuba to parasailling and more. They have been VERY helpful and quick to answer my questions that I have emailed them regarding some other activities. I'll have to check on the website for that outfit and post it for you.

Hope this is helpful. :) I am still curious to know which beach they take you to on the RC "Restless Native" tour, if anybody should happen to know.

Melinda

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm sailing in July 14 2007 on the NCL Dawn (yes the one that is being drydocked right now), and I was wondering about the snorkeling gear on the catamaran excursions,,, do they supply the snorkel gear on the boat or do you have to bring your own? And if they do supply the snorkel gear, do you have to pay extra for it, or is it included?

Also, I have 4 different Catamaran cruises in Kings Wharf, Bermuda that I can choose from 1) Restless Native Catamaran 2) Fantasea catamaran fun cruise 3) Ultimate catamaran swizzle party and 4) Catamaran coral reef snorkel,,, and was wondering if anyone tried any of these, if so how were they and which one would they prefer. Thanks

Gina

We're on the Explorer in May and there is an excursion for an ultimate catamaran/snorkel/sail/swim. It doesn't mention Restless Native. I'm wondering if it's the same 'tour'. We've never snorkeled but are thinking about trying it out and this may be a good time for the first attempt. Unfortunately we both wear glasses and know that our 'sight'seeing won't be as clear. I'm also wondering if R. Native has a website. All suggestions gratefully accepted. Thanks. Poohb

This is the best Cat Tour - The Rising Sun II. Have been on it about 9 times - go every year. They also have a tour out ouf St Georges if you are on a ship that docks there called Turtle Bay Excursion - to a private Island - sand like talcum powder.

On your tour they which is out of the Dockyard they sail arond it and then west to beautiful Mangrove Bay Beach.

This is a much bigger cat that restless native. Whenever that cat overbooks one is sardined - there is little room to sit let alone get up and walk around.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm sailing in July 14 2007 on the NCL Dawn (yes the one that is being drydocked right now), and I was wondering about the snorkeling gear on the catamaran excursions,,, do they supply the snorkel gear on the boat or do you have to bring your own? And if they do supply the snorkel gear, do you have to pay extra for it, or is it included?

Also, I have 4 different Catamaran cruises in Kings Wharf, Bermuda that I can choose from 1) Restless Native Catamaran 2) Fantasea catamaran fun cruise 3) Ultimate catamaran swizzle party and 4) Catamaran coral reef snorkel,,, and was wondering if anyone tried any of these, if so how were they and which one would they prefer. Thanks

Gina

The snorkel gear is all provided and is part of the tour, no extra charge. We did the Restless native and it was great.

Someone has mentioned that the Rising Sun lets you out in 6ft of water while the Restless Native tour lets you out in 4ft of water, which might be preferable with less experienced/younger/older snorkelers.

True on the 6 foot of water for the Rising Sun but they do provide a ladder to step into the water on and have plenty of "noodles" to float with. My wife not a big fan of swimming managed the transfer to the water just fine. Capt. Beez of the Rising sun and staff (john +1) will help if needed. Great time on the cat and we love it, Well worth it. Here is a 2nd choice, go to Grotto Bay (as we have for 4 other times) and rent a Boston Whaler for 4 hours ($130) total and will hold up to 4. Includes snorkle equipment and a map to your own priviate beachs. Tip, go at 9 or 10 am. you can pull up to 1 foot of water if you want. The rental company is Blue Hole Water sports I believe but if you take a cab to Grotto Bay Resort you just walk down their pathways to the place.'

Dennis, have fun

• 2 years later...

Could anyone with more recent experience rate Restless Native versus the other one-Rising Sun-?

Does anyone know if they have masks with "prescription" lenses ( DH prefers them) & vests instead of just noodles?

We were just on the NCL Spirit and took the Restless Native cruise on 7/27/09. There were about 25 people on board (I saw the Rising Son the next day while on jet skis and it looked much more crowded). The crew is all different than named above but they were personable and knowledgeable. The tour started on time and we were entertained with facts about the islands history and current life. We were also educated on the fish we may see, as well as how to properly use the snorkel equpitment. The spot we settled at was about 4ft. deep and did not have a beach, but the snorkeling was incredible!! We stayed there about an hour and headed back, being served rum swizzles and homemade choc chip cookies. One of my wife's favorite memories of the entire cruise was when Captian Mike let her steer the boat all the way back to Dockyard while he ate his lunch!! A great time had by my family and absolutely worth the money if snorkeling is important to you!

Archived