which beach in Tortola

cathi007

We were on the NCL Pearl 12/22/2006, we rented a car at Hertz (Just outside the gate for the port) and went to the Longs Bays Resort.

Do you need an international Driver's License to drive? Also is the beach at Longs Bay Resort private? Do we need to contact regarding a day pass? Thanks for any info you may have.

I was at CGB last February and we paid $6 per person each way - nice to see that the price hasn't gone up! We really enjoyed it, but it was a bit crowded (not packed, but a good few people around).

By way of warning, the drive to CGB is not for the faint of heart. It's beautiful and it is an experience I am happy to have had, but I consider myself fairly adventurous and I was a bit nervy at points! If you are afraid of heights or prone to panic attacks you might want to rethink going to this beach.

All of that being said, I'll be in Tortola in a few weeks and we are most likely going to go back to CGB.

Enjoy!

Gormanz,

If you are a US citizen you do not need an international drivers license. Up until a short while ago, when you rented a car you had to purchase a temporary BVI license but no longer, your current drivers license is all you need. I do not know the requirements for folks from other countries but I doubt if its much different.

All beaches in the BVI are public up to the high water mark, although the HWM is not very high. If you really want to go on Long Bay Beach west just drive past the resort and there is areas where you can park your car and just go walk the beach, no one will bother you. There is a small eatery on the west end of the beach but like many places on island time, sometimes it's open and sometimes it's not.

PAHORNER...

I went to wiol.com and looked at pics of Brewsters Bay as we were supposed ot head there w/ some friends. I was nervous because it looked very rocky, like there might be no place to dig my feet in and just relax or layon a towel. I am 5 mos. preg and will also need some public facilities (like restroom). Does Brewsters have any of these? Was it rocky?

Thanks for your insight.

Leslie

The beach is BEAUTIFUL, to say the least. There is a bar/snack place, not sure about a restroom but my guess would be yes. They have chairs both loungers and those short beach chairs, no umbrellas, tables and reg chairs at snack area on deck. This is not a commercial area, just quiet and natural. There are palms at back if beach for shade if need be, it was cloudy when we were there so that wasn't a problem. It is a spectacular place, I would go back in a heartbeat. The rocky area is to the left of beach , plenty of beach don't worry about that.

We went to CGB and liked it. I think the drive up & over the mountain takes 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic and if your cabbie wants to stop and let you take pictures :) At the port the guy hailing the taxis said it would be $6 pp each way if we wanted to fill up the cab/van or $20 each way if we just went by ourselves. On the way there it was the 2 of us ($20) and on the way back we went in a van with a bunch of other people ($6 each). The ride can definitely be exciting at times! I have some funny video that I took on the ride back ;)

I went there last May through Carnival. While the beach is beautiful there are large rocks under the water so really can't enjoy the water.

We went to Longs Bay Resort on Christmas Day and parked by the last Villas at the end of the Beach. We walked a couple of hundred yards down to the left and went swimming there, we never encountered any rocks, the beach and the water was all sand, good surf. :D

We were on the NCL Pearl 12/22/2006, we rented a car at Hertz (Just outside the gate for the port) and went to the Longs Bays Resort.

Do you need an international Driver's License to drive? Also is the beach at Longs Bay Resort private? Do we need to contact regarding a day pass? Thanks for any info you may have.

Sorry, I just noticed your post. I believe the questions have already been answered.

1. Just copied my US Drivers License

2. All Resorts are Private, they have public parking at the end of the road past the Resort by the last Villas.

3. Public Beach at that point, from a prior post (All Beaches are Public up to the Highest Waterline.)

Leslie,

Brewer's Bay, not Brewster's (your taxi guy will not know where you are talking about :) ) is beautiful amd quiet. It is not rocky. Nicole's Beach Bar is at the far west end of the beach and they do have restrooms there.

Pyrate --LOL..thanks! you know, as I typed it, it felt wrong. Now it's all so clear!

Sounds like there is a restroom, some food/drink and it is pretty. I hate rocks when I walk into the water...I love that really soft, soft sand with nothing else mixed in. Does Cane Garden Bay/Cay have similar water conditions or is it sandier/less rocks? Is it still pretty?

Thanks for all the info. We leave tomorrow and i am beside myself with excitement!!!

Les

Archived