which beach in Tortola

cathi007

O.K. I need help, I can't decide which beach would be better, smugglers cove or cane garden bay. The ship is only in port from 8am-1pm, so I assume we have to be back to the ship by 12:30. I have been to CGB a few years back and it was one of the most beautiful beaches Iv'e ever seen. I always said given the chance I'd go back, but now I keep hearing all this stuff about smugglers, help please.

You could do the Virgin Gorda excursion and go to The Bath's. It is an awesome experience. There were 2 different options for our cruise. We chose the snorkel option where you snorkel to shore from the boat, go through the caves to Devils Bay and then snorkel back to the boat at the end of the excursion. It was well worth the money!!

Smuggler's is a much smaller beach with few amenities but in my opinion a much prettier beach. Very much like you would expect a tropical beach to look. If you want a choice of bars, resturants and vendors then Cane Garden Bay is your place.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
go to wiol.com tortola interactive map. click on unbrella's and it will take yoy to each beach:)

This was a great website to check out the beaches. Thanks for posting it! We are not booked on the cruise yet, but are hoping to go July 30th on Carnival Miracle. I'm thinking we'll probably go to Cane Garden Cay. Do you take a Taxi there? Or how do you get there? We will want to do some shopping while we are in port as well. This is our first time to these ports, (San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola), so any info you can give me will be truely appreciated.:D

Thanks again!

have not been to tortola, but in st.thomas, we catch the local bus. takes you to the same place as taxi for only $2. then went to st. john on ferry.cinnamon bay, there were about 15 people there and 100,s at trunk.st. not a crowd like trunk bay. our best beach secluded . especially when there were 5-6 ships on the island. san jaun only in the night so we just stayed in town. not much else to do.

• 2 weeks later...

While Smuggler's Cove is a picturesque beach with a nice reef for snorkeling offshore, it has its drawbacks. The cab fare is expensive, about $10. a person one way, about a 30 minute ride. The road there is horrible in spots, bumpy and jarring, and if you don't have a good cab driver it could be dangerous. There are no facilities there, no drinking water, no toilets, no showers, no chairs, umbrellas etc. Only a lady who sets up a table to sell some soda.

While Smuggler's Cove is a picturesque beach with a nice reef for snorkeling offshore, it has its drawbacks. The cab fare is expensive, about $10. a person one way, about a 30 minute ride. The road there is horrible in spots, bumpy and jarring, and if you don't have a good cab driver it could be dangerous. There are no facilities there, no drinking water, no toilets, no showers, no chairs, umbrellas etc. Only a lady who sets up a table to sell some soda.

So, it's changed since last winter-there was a bar, along with some vendors on the beach and a bathroom in the bar.

The road is quite bumpy!

So, it's changed since last winter-there was a bar, along with some vendors on the beach and a bathroom in the bar.

The road is quite bumpy!

There is no bar there now (we were there in October). Evidently not enough people came down that bumpy road.

Cane Garden Bay is beautiful. Its not as built up as many beaches but is average for the Caribbean as it has a bar and place to get food. You can get fresh pina coladas in just picked coconuts as well as tons of beer, soda, and water. Bathrooms are decent. You can rent chairs and umbrellas too.

In my opinion the snorkeling there is the best I've ever experienced. Now that I think of it the only other place I've been snorkeling is Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We usually bring out own gear and just go to the beaches we hear have good snorkeling. If you go to the left side of the beach as you face the water there are tons of fish and coral. I've heard from some other forums that on the right side of the beach there is a sunken barge. Just ask people at the beach. If you do not have your own gear you can rent it at the beach. Snorkel with a group and make sure you don't go farther out than you can swim.

I've been to Canes bay twice and went on our own both times. The cab fare was reasonable, but I can't remember how much.When you go with the ship, you pay more and have a limited stay. On your own, you can stay as long as you want. We had a cab for four of us to the beach and the driver asked what time we wanted to go back and he was there. However, there were lots of cabs to be had, so no worry.

Thanks my husband is not a big beach person but I would like to see it again as last time I was there was in the 70's- We will just take a taxi and have a drink at Stanleys (if it is still there ) and head back to the ship- Appreciate the info

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Tortola last week, only ship in port, what a breathtakingly beautiful place. We spent the day at Brewer’s Bay Beach, quite, one little bar/snack shack, chairs. Must have been some good snorkeling as were approx 6/8 folks out for a long time. My only questionable experience was the taxis. The head taxi man told us it would be 10.00 pp one way to brewers, 30.00 pp/ 45 minutes one way to smugglers. From what I had read here I was expecting much less. Several older women were charged 4.00 each to go into town, which was approx ½ mile. I certainly don’t begrudge these folks making a buck, not at all, and I would go back today for much longer than a day, just keep in mind taxi rates will vary. I think it may depend on the head taxi man for the day. They did come back and take us back to ship, that was never a concern he would not return. All in all wonderful place, go if you get the chance.

The price to Brewer's seem's just a little high, the price to Smuggler's sounds like it could be high as well. I would think more like $25 Pp. to Smuggler's and more like 30-35 minutes, depends on traffic and how many ship were in port. The road to Smuggler's is not exactly a highway. :D

If you walk a little bit away from the pier (and the head taxi guy) you could likely find a taxi at a lower rate, although rates are supposedly set by the BVI Government.

Archived