HELP!!! could I get bumped?

Cruiser_Rich

Cruising in Octoberr and just received our American Airlines flight schedule via our travel agency who I believe went directly through Carnival. Our booklet had our flight information but indicated we had to call our travel agent for seating assignments. I did and they could only get us two assignments (NOT together) for our family of three, she said the morning of the flight we need to check in to get the third seat. She told me the airline saves about 30% to be assingend the day of the flight. What happens if there are still 40% of ticket holders that show up for seats. Is there a chance I won't get a third seat ....I booked the trip in June this seems outrageous to me. I fly about every other year and have NEVER not had assigned seats well in advance. Is this normal now a days or not.

BTW the flight is not for another 4 weeks, again I booked the trip in June.

i would call the airline directly, maybe you will have better luck with them.

As to overbooking, airlines do it all the time because they know from past experience that a percentage will not show up. If more passengers show up than the plane will accommodate, they usually offer compensation to get volenteers to get off the plane. This is usually either cash or a credit towards a future flight and a seat on the next available flight. (it might be 1 hour later or the next day.)

Paul

If you're nervous and when the time comes, able to do it, check in online at 24 hours before your flight, and you'll have the first crack at that 30% of the seats that are available. Worst case scenario, you show up at the airport and ask either the ticket agent, gate agent, or flight attendant to get you together. Your odds are good of getting seats together! No stress!

Enjoy your cruise...

-bb123

American has online check in so I would make sure to do that as early as possible. Then when you get to the airport, go talk to the gate agent to see if they can rearrange your seats to get you together if you haven't been able to do so beforehand (or at least close to each other).

The airlines try not to have to involuntarily bump anybody so they will do everything they can to get people to voluntarily give up their seats if the flight is overbooked. One thing in your favor is that you are booked on Carnival Air - the airlines know this and you will be one of the last people they consider bumping.

I booked the trip in June this seems outrageous to me.
If you booked the cruise in June, but left the cruise line to deal with the air travel, the cruise line may not have booked the air travel until much more recently. That could be why the airline's seat pre-allocation limit had already been pretty much reached by the time you were told which flights you were on.

There is always a chance that you'll be bumped, but it's very small. Most airlines that chronically overbook sort this out with volunteers most of the time, so they don't actually have to bump anyone. Having a seat pre-allocated doesn't guarantee that you won't get bumped. It's only a pre-allocation; it's still not "your" seat and the airline can always still move you.

Thanks everyone, I called AA and they confirmed what your all saying. We will need to obtain our seat assignments the morning of the flight. They explained since 9/11 the airline controls a number of seats until the day of the flight. I certainly understand this but just don't appreciate the stress created when one is trying to go on vacation to get away from stress. Thanks again.

If you booked the cruise in June, but left the cruise line to deal with the air travel, the cruise line may not have booked the air travel until much more recently. That could be why the airline's seat pre-allocation limit had already been pretty much reached by the time you were told which flights you were on.

The second part of that is....that seat map has open since last November. That flight could have been at airport check in status when it was booked in June or only had seats available for frequent flyer members that hold status with that airline.

Cruises Rich,

I booked my cruise (2/06) and air in May of 2005 with a TA.About a week

before the trip somehow I got seats for my DH and myself, but I could not get seats for my DD and her husband. I was frantic. We showed up early,mind you it was Presidents' Week, and waited in line to get the kids seats. At the ticket counter they still did not have seats. I was furious! American Airlines told us we could possibly get them seats at the gate. We rushed to the gate and they finally got seats, but not together. It was a real hassle and I swore I would fly down early the next cruise. American had overbooked the flight by 17 people. Everything worked out for us, but try the tips these posters have given you and good luck! Our next cruise is 4/22 on the Valor out of Miami. I booked my own air and am flying in the day before, staying at the Intercontinental (a great deal on Hotwire - thanks to the great tips of these posters on Cruise Critic). I also saved $300.00 booking my own air ($200.00 per person on AA, instead of $350.00 on AA with Carnival). Have a great trip!

Archived