Anyone actually fly in on the day of the cruise

clerky96

Clerky:

My wife and I are flying in the morning of the cruise for a 10/28 sailing out of FLL. Its an educated risk I suppose, I live in NC and the fall weather here is usually beautiful and calm. So very little chance of difficulty, but we are arriving at 11:20am from our flight and the ship leaves at 5:00pm.

I'd say from the midwest in February would represent a more significant risk. I say go for it. You might think about creating a backup plan like flying from an alternate airport just in case you're snowed in there. But don't let safety and security stand in the way of some solid savings on your part. Once on the ship you'll be happy you have the bankroll instead of having payed extra for playing it safe. Just my opinion.

Crazy Larry;)

same here from ATL--flew in to FLL, kinda late flight landing at 1, for a same day departure, but that's what we could get after getting the kids off to school (a two-couples trip) and that was feb. but no problem. same day also w/ the same couple to San Juan for our first ever cruise, back when we didnt know enough to realize it was risky, and again no problems. I grew up in CT, though, so I do know northern winters, and I would not do same day from up north, not even in summer when the danger is that a storm will close ATL airport or somewhere else and screw your connection. for miami in january we flew in night before, and for port canaveral we drive down the night before, or at very least drive down to w/i a 2 hour drive the morning of the cruise.

Having worked long enough in travel, I've seen too many things go wrong, and avoid flying on the day of the cruise at all costs.

In addition to what's already been mentioned here (flight delays due to weather, mechanical, crew sked, etc.; as well as lost luggage and other Murphy's Law events), bear in mind that the ticket you buy is for travel between point A and point B. The airline reserves the right (and these days often exercises said right) to change the times of your flights as well as the method of routing. So if, for example, your nonstop that was to arrive at 10:30am becomes a connection that arrives at 2pm, you may have little recourse.

But to each their own: people have varying degrees of comfort with risk, stress, etc.

We are going on our 5th cruise this November and have always flew in the day of. We can get a direct flight and land by 9 a.m. Hopefully, this will allow leadway in case of a delay. My travel agent is going on the same cruise as us this time, so hopefully we will have all our bases covered.

In all of my 14 + cruises I've always flown the day of and never had any problems. BUT you guys made me a little paranoid so I just called my TA and my flight leaves here @ 7:30am, direct to San Jan to arrive around noon, and the ship doesn't leave until 10pm. She put my mind at ease....I was going to book hotel in San Juan but at over $225 for a hotel I'd rather spend that on my bar tab!! :D

We live in Atlanta and have flown in the day of our cruise 5 times... LGA, LAX, EWR, and MIA. We've always caught the first flight of the day and never had a problem. That being said, we're going on a cruise out of MIA this Monday and we're catching a flight Sunday afternoon to get there so we can have some time to spend at the Bayside Market... get to see what the big deal is about over there.

We also flew into London once to catch a repo cruise from Southhampton to New York. We left Atlanta Saturday night, flew all night and got into Gatwick Sunday morning. After we got in, we took a train and had to transfer to another one to get to Southhampton where the ship was. I promise, we will NEVER do that again. Sure we saved the price of a room but that one was too stressful and way to much of a hassle. We had the muster drill in one of the lounges of the ship and we both fell asleep in the middle of it.

Tim

We have always flown in the day of the cruise and never had a problem but in saying that I would also say that it would depend on the time of year, the distance we were traveling to the departing port as well as flight conditions. As others have said we all have varying degrees of comfort with regards to risk taking.

:)

We are flying in the same day for our cruise in Nov. and I already know it is a mistake. We should have plenty of time leaving from Philadelphia at 7:30 am to FLL. But I think about it everyday. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing happens. For every cruise that we book here on in we will be arriving the day before. I can't stand the stress!!

There is a point that many people are missing. Planes fly all day. You may have a non-stop flight from say, New York City that takes off at 10AM and arrives in Florida at 1-2PM but your plane most likely will have a flight before your flight. In other words, if there is a weather issue somewhere else other then NYC, it may still have an adverse influence on your travel from NYC. Don’t be fooled into thinking that a non-stop flight from a warm weather city to another warm weather city is going to always be safe from winter weather delays.

We are flying in the same day for our cruise in Nov. and I already know it is a mistake. We should have plenty of time leaving from Philadelphia at 7:30 am to FLL. But I think about it everyday. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope nothing happens. For every cruise that we book here on in we will be arriving the day before. I can't stand the stress!!

You'll make it in plenty of time. It's only a three hour flight from Philly to FLL. Also FLL is only a short drive to Port Everglades.

Everyone on here is always for flying in the day before, which I think is a great idea, but you have to weigh your pros and cons. When we were looking into the Mariner, which leaves on a Sunday, it was cheaper to fly in on the Saturday, but the airport transfer, hotel, meals, etc. added up to more than the ticket difference. (DH and I are too young to get a rental car for less than an arm and a leg).

I usually don't mind flying down the day of, as long as I'm on the first flight of the day, and there are other flights. Yes, we're usually exhausted, but if we're on the ship by noon catching a nap before muster, then I'm all rested up for the evening!

Choose what's best for you... but no matter what, running through the airport stressing about missing your ship is usually not the best option.

Just my humble opion. However, I had a horrifying experience flying same day. Delta ... Not So Much. Save your self any possible headache, relax and enjoy the release of stress before getting onboard :p

I will surely fly a day ahead from now on.

I will always fly in the day before - more so that I will be rested when getting on as early as possible on embarkation day. BUT, I have been on hurricane-delayed cruises more than once, so I know that weather-problems can happen.

I also always drive to port the day before, even tho it is only a 4 hour drive to LA for us, things can also happen on the freeways that will cause delays. Right now the fire that is burning just north of LA has closed the fwy (that I would use) a couple of times, and I have also been delayed by 4 hours when a big-rig jack-knifed across all 3 lanes :eek: .

I guess I just can't take all the stress (and I love having an extra day of vacation) :p !!!

My first couple of cruises I flew in day of because I didn't know any better. We never had any lost luggage but each time there was somebody else going to our cruise who was missing a few pieces. Arrived on the ship exhausted (from having to be at the airport at 4am) and stressed (from worrying whether or not we would make the boat). Other people had been enjoying the ship all afternoon while we were rushing to grab something from the buffet before it closed in time to go to the muster drill.

The first time I went a day early and got to be one of the first people on the ship it was great. The difference was amazing. It was like having an extra day on the ship, plus we weren't too tired to enjoy that first night on the ship either.

Since then I've had to fly in day of once, due to circumstances beyond my control. My flight actually landed early in Miami but we couldn't get our gate because there was a problem with a passenger onboard the plane. We finally were given another gate 30 minutes later. Then when we got to baggage claim it took over 1.5 hours for our bags to start coming out. By the time we got to the ship, the Windjammer was already closed.

Sometimes you just can't go in a day early, but if at all possible it is best to do so. Think about how much money you've really saved if you miss the ship and have to try and find a way to catch up with the ship, or a way back home days earlier than you'd planned.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am leaning toward flying in a day ahead. I am a worrier, and I am sure that I would be stressed to the max if I wait until the day of the cruise.

Also, thanks for the link. I had started reading that once, but at the time I didn't know whether she made it or not. Had to read all the posts, but it was fun.

Donna

We usually wind up flying the day of the cruise due to the fact that my husband or I cannot take extra days off of work. My advice would be to fly early to allow for plenty of time to get there (pending any delays) and to transfer to the ship. I would love to fly the day before. We really loved just leaving out of a port that we didn't have to fly to. It was a much more relaxing start to the trip

Archived