Homeschoolers out there?

Mom75

Mom75,

That was interesting. Some I can relate to. Other ideas I find are flawed in my opinion.

Many traditionally educated children still have all of the same fabulous experiences with old people, art museums, etc... They do things with their own parents or friends and family members at times outside of school hours.

Just as many home schooled kids don't do many of these interesting things.

I will admit that one thing that schools have begun doing these days has actually ruined things for my youngest daughter. All 3 of my older children love to read because I allowed them to pick what they wanted to read and they were allowed to stay up past their bedtime for one thing only - to read in their bed until they got tired. And they also read what they wanted to read during the summer. But at some point as my youngest daughter was growing up, ALL schools around here, public and private alike, began to have assigned summer reading along with too many classroom reading assignments. Sometimes they would allow choosing from a limited list. But mostly it's "read this" and you will be tested on it the first week of school. Or they have to do some sort of assignment as they read their books during the summer. So much for the joy of reading. This approach has made it a chore for my 16 year old and she does not like to read books. Magazines? Yes. But without the freedom to choose the books that interest her, school has messed it up for her. I only hope that once she finishes school, she will get over it and learn to enjoy reading for pleasure.

Other than that, all my kids have usually had teachers who encourage socializing in class. They do have some quiet time of course but they also have been encouraged to talk about what they are learning and doing.

And I would have to say that I've taught my kids that we are not all created equal. As much as I wish I could sing, I can't. OK, I can really. But no one would want to hear it. :) I'd rather say we aren't all equal but we all have something special about us. One person's gifts aren't the same as another person's gifts. It's our differences that make things interesting. Even different teachers from year to year can be fun. I have some very interesting memories of some of mine.

I do remember we usually sat in alphabetical order when I went to school. But this didn't matter since the schools were so large that we didn't have the same kids in class each year. And some teachers may have the seats set up differently and have the order going in different directions so that further mixed things up.

Most of my kid's teachers let kids sit where they wanted as long as they didn't cause constant disruptions to the lessons.

I will say that there are some great opportunities my kids have had in a traditional school that they never would have had otherwise. But what has worked for us, doesn't always work for someone else.

Just like some people like cruising, others would never consider it. People choose how to enjoy a vacation. Others choose how to educate their kids.

The traditional school isn't always as bad as that story makes it out to be. And some home schooled kids don't get exposed to some great opportunities. It's parental involvement in the daily life and what they encourage that counts, no matter who teaches the kids to read and write.

My kids are 13 and 16 and both go to the local high school and both are on the honor roll. This year we are going on vacation in November and doing 2 back to back cruises and we will be gone for 20 days during a time when school is in session. Do I care if you agree or not? NOPE! Its my family and my decision on doing what is right for my family. Do you have different ideas....probably....so be it....thats your right. The OP has no reason to need a smokescreen to justify a cruise. In truth, its a safe bet that no one really cares on what you think is right or wrong for someone elses family. Afterall, if everyone thought or behaved the same the world would be a very dull place to live.

Sandie

I support and agree with that 1000%.

Mom75, your so right on many things that I have observed in my kid's public school. It seems to be usually the worst in elemetary school. They try to conform the kids to a certain behavior.

My son in high school seems to have the most freedom. I think by that age if they treated the kids like they do in elementary the kids would rebel.

Both types of education have many pros and cons. My kids love band and the many extra curricular activities that would be very expensive if we homeschooled.

I homeschool my children too. Personally, I think it is better to see the world yourself than to learn about it in textbooks. Form your own opinion, don't take the word of one writer that your school district uses for curriculum. I'm very sorry that some of you don't agree, but those of you who do homeschool, God Bless you. You are taking responsibility for your kids future, and not leaving it in the hands of a stranger. Now don't get me wrong, my son is 17 and my daughter is 9 and they have only been homeschooled for 2 years. I know what it is like to have to put your kids in public school to have to to work to pay the bills, but wouldn't it be great to have them experience things first hand?

Happy Cruising everyone!

As in all other aspects of life, there is a difference between homeschooling, and RESPONSIBLE homeschooling. Thankfully we all have the option to do what works best for our own families and children.

I have been researching and following Homeschooling, and friends of mines who Homeschool for a few years now because I live outside the box and am always interested in more efficient and creative ways to accomplish things and experience life.

It is sad that HSing brings on such controversary. If I felt comfortable sending my kids to the public schools in my area, I would. Right now they all go to private schools (they have never attended public school) because of the rankings of the schools in my county, the standard (or lack of) I have witnessed in a lot of youth and the lack of character in schools and students.

If your kids are fortunate to attend a good school, count yourself blessed. Many schools are not of this quality depending on where you live, the resources and committment of that county to it's educational program(s).

I am impressed with the one-on-one with the children being educated with their parents and how they can zero in on weaknesses in their kid's education and commit to strengthen it without interruptions from 20 other students or have the pressure to stick with the class schedule to move along, sometimes leaving students behind in the process or just pass along students.

I must add that quality education is probably only one part of why most people homeschool. The other main reason (at least for me) would be to have the child in a controlled environment where they do not have to worry about constant exposure to bullying, unwanted sex education, violence, drugs, etc. and the impact it could have on their child's development, self esteem and future.

It is not necessary to homeschool a child from 8:00-12:00. (Although most HS'ers I know do and go beyond those hours). If you spend quality time with their education, it can be a variety of time combined, but more importantly, it is what that the kids get the most out of in the time being educated, not the time itself.

Many people do not follow Homeschooling trends and advancements and assume the way things were done before the advent of technology is the way things are still done. Many homeschoolers use the same curriculums that are used in schools, i.e. Christian schools such as: Switched on School house (SOS), Abeka, Bob Jones, Saxon Math, Prentice, Shurley Grammar, Satellite programs, etc.

I agree, you can educate your child on a cruise ship, in a grocery store or anywhere if you have the mind and inclination to. The point is educating your child is ultimately your responsibility, rather you send your kids to school or school them at home. My kids are honor students too, but I keep up with them academically and make sure they really deserve the good grades they receive and that they know what they need to know on their grade level as well as scrutinize their SAT's. (Although there is controversary about SAT's too) :)

I have come to the conclusion that homeschooling can be catagorized with religion and politics, a hot topic. But I had to chime in.

It takes all kinds to make the world go round and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Rock on Homeschoolers, you were doing it long before there was ever a thing as a school. :)

I am wondering if during the typical school year there are still full programs available for children on RCCL.

If most of the kids are in school, will my kids be the only ones in the kids programs/will there be other kids to play with?

Also wondering if any homeschooling families that go on cruises are able to arrange tours of the boat or educational opportunities on the ship.

If you homeschool, please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Mar....

I don't know what ship you are going on, but on the Explorer of the Seas they have the only Oceanographic lab in the world on a cruise ship as well as an Atomospheric lab. They have visiting scientists on board for each cruise that are running experiments, doing analysis, etc. The labs are available for tours during the cruises. The labs are run through the University of Miami and you can access the lab details through their site. This would be good for a science/oceanograpy lesson.

I have 2 girls 14 and 15 who will be cruising in 25 days and I think this time of the year a majority of kids are in school so there won't be an abundance of kids out, but to toot my own horn, they are excellent students and we will definately make a class trip to the ocean lab when we get on the Explorer of the Seas!! ;)

Hi all,

I just want to thank everyone who replied (to my intial questions that is.....LOL).

We will be researching which itineraries/ships (Explorer was a GREAT suggestion) pose the best opportunities for learning, but also want to ensure we all have a memorable "vacation".... after all, it won't be "just" for the kids !!!!

Thanks again

The following is my DS's "group" activities (to answer your socialization question):

Monday: Cotillion

Tuesday: French lessons (20+ students),Tennis

Wednesday: Soccer practice

Thursday: French lessons (20+ students),Tennis

Friday: Friday Field Trip (100+ attendees), Soccer practice

Saturday: Soccer match

Sunday: Sunday school

Add to that, DS's playtime with the neighbourhood children who aren't in the above mentioned activities, and family (between us DH and I have 14 nieces and nephews locally-not counting the UK).

Socialization is definitely not a problem.

I dare say, MANY homeschooled children are often more socialized than traditionally schooled children because the parents are much more aware of the NEED for socialization. Not to say all of them, mind you, but I am personally aware of traditionally schooled children whose only exposure to social activities is during school hours.

Hope that answers your question.:)

Brittgrl - well said.

My friends children (I know many that are homeschooled, altho my children are in a private Christian school) are well socialized also, and are in more programs than many public school kids I know. Their parents have integrated their schooling with outside activities so well that these kids can not only laugh, play and talk with their peers, but can also socialize with adults without self-conciousness. Sometimes I wish that I could home-school - lol! But private education is the next best thing for my kids IMO (and I'm just not the educator that they are :o ).

Because mine are in a private school, we have been able to take them out occasionally during the school year and cruise during off-peak times (which was nice), and I have found that there are always kids their age in AO or the teen group. My DD16 was not quite as interested in going to the kids area as her younger sister was (she was in the 9-12 age group where they had organized activities) because they did "silly stuff" and she did not want to get involved. I trust her insight, so she hung out with me or DH most of the time.

So, have a great time, and your kids will too!

Im homeschooled I have been for the past number of years. I went to school for most of my years before i became homeschooled. You are right every person is different. When I started homeschool I hated it with a passion lol. But now I'm in the 11th grade and Ive been taking some of my basics at college. The college that I attend also has classes for homeschoolers that teach : Biology, Chemistry, Spanish, Creative Writing & ect. I also am in mock trail and beleive it or not we compete against public schoolers. As far as socialization there is plenty. Homeschool groups provide feild trips (several weekly), drama (weekly), music lessons(daily or weekly), family suppers(twice a month), Speech (like public speaking) (monthly), Mock Trial (Several times weekly), bowling (monthly), and sooo much more. I have more friends and have met more people in homeschool than in public school. As far as shootings in school...shootings can happen anywhere from a park, to your house, to a school or a business. And as far as teachers. All parents are different (as you all have proved on this thread) some parents are over their kids all through school hours, and there are some parents that let the kids teach themselves and they just give them the test and the parents check it, Some parents don't even teach their kids. There are internet schools for homeschoolers, there are schools on cd-rom's that other people check, there is t.v. school. Now that I have made friends and met people I love homeschool, but I should not have to stick up for it. Every one is DIFFERENT!! And to the OP there are cruises Just for homeschool families most of the time they are in Jan. I think, and I'm pretty sure that they offer educational stuff for your kids. I have never been on it but we get an e-mail from our "support group" in Nov. or Dec. When we get our info. on it I'll be sure to post on cruise critic. ...ANd I don't think that anyone can say anything about kids on this thread cause MOST of you parents are fighting like 3rd grade school children. So STOP.

Archived