America's Cup Regatta~AM/PM??

P.A.

We are just wondering which is better, the AM tour which is at 8:30am or the PM tour which is at 11:45am over at 2:45pm. We are currently booked for the early tour, and now there is a waitlist only for the AM one, but there are 18 slots for the PM one. We were thinking of changing to the 11:45 just so we didn't have to get up so early. But evidently the early one is more popular.

Anyone with any comments on this? Thanks! :)

Definitely the earlier you can go the better if you want to a) have time to really do anything else and 9) because rain tends to come later in the day.. two weeks ago Glory had the earliest sail tour (9:00).. we went at 10 and by the time we were finished it was pouring... the 11:45 was cancelled due to lightniing.. Also it's not quite so hot in the a.m.

Depends on weather conditions where the races are being held. Usually races depend on the prevailing winds of the area in which the race is being held. Check the America's Cup website to see if starting times are posted. It's fascinating to see the start (when boats are tacking to and fro before the start and then lunge across the starting line), but the middle of the races can be boring if there are no "dueling boats." In any event, seeing those big "sleds" up close, even if nothing is happening, is a big thrill.

The Regatta was one of our most favorite excursions - even though the lady next to me threw up all over me!:eek: Make sure to buy the photo and the CREW t shirt. I get comments every time I wear mine and it brings back wonderful memories.

Brenda,

I think they indicated you'd have to go over the side. Thankfully no one had to do this when we went, including my wife and I.

I had some trepidation about this but it wasn't a problem and the excursion itself was among the best we've ever done. You will really enjoy it.

Another question I've seen is what footwear is appropriate? Sneakers or deck shoes are fine.

Jack

Just curious, I have heard that there are no restrooms on the boat. What happens if you need to use one?
ROFL!!! These are actual Americas Cub boats that are completely utilitarian. There are no bathrooms or heads.

I'd strongly recommend going in the morning. When we went, it was hot and sunny in the morning... and much hotter in the afternoon. No matter what, bring the strongest sun block you can find. Otherwise, you'll get burned since there's no shade and no relief from the sun. You get a double-whammy from both the sun and the water.

As an FYI, going overboard is not something you really want to consider. It's not easy getting back in the boat. It's pretty big and there are no handy-dandy ladders that you'll find on pleasure boats. These are working boats and designed to sail... that's it.

Caroline,

Did you get any pictures? Didn't you do this excursion? If you do have any would love to see them, as a friend of mine is considering taking this excursion and I know he would probably flip to see some pictures from this excursion.

Thanks, I thought it was always tender. Learn something new every day.

St. Maarten used to be a tender port. That's probably why you were thinking that. We tendered there in 2000, but by the time we stopped there again in 2002, the port pier was built. It's a beautiful, new area with gorgeous turquoise water surrounding it. :)

I doubt that I would want to stop the race and say "I need to go into the water for a minute". Everyone would know what you are doing.

Is there some kind of pill that might help?

OMG I just read about no toilets on the boats. Never even thought about that. We had planned on doing this tour for years and now that our youngest son is finally old enough, we were going to do this next June. But, if there's no bathroom, forget it. There is no way I can go 3 hours with visiting it. :o

Thanks for the information. They would've had one REALLY fast sail 'cuz I'd be SUPER anxious to get back to port! :eek:

St. Maarten used to be a tender port. That's probably why you were thinking that. We tendered there in 2000, but by the time we stopped there again in 2002, the port pier was built. It's a beautiful, new area with gorgeous turquoise water surrounding it. :)
Even with the new pier, some ships still tender. It depends on the day and how many ships are in port.

Archived