Improved access in Tauranga Port of Call NZ

KiwiIan

Hi, had a meeting last week with the Port of Tauranga re all the cruise ships arriving this season. Good news is that there are two new purpose built gangways being built to improve the access to and from the ship. Tauranga does not have a dedicated cruise liner berth/terminal so all the ships dock at the usual commercial wharfs so the access has sometimes been a bit of an issue. The port hopes that these new and much wider gangways will be better for all and certainly speed up the entry and exit of passengers, which when the large ships are in can take some time. The authorities here in Tauranaga really are making a big effort for the cruise ships as it brings a lot of business to the region. Feedback from passengers is that they like the stop over, being so close to great attractions such as Rotorua and Hobbiton, as well a few minutes walk to the down town cafes, shops and beaches of Mount Maunganui [this is the suburb where the ship berths]. If anyone needs any additional info just post here, pleased to assist. Regards Ian [tauranga]

Hi, had a meeting last week with the Port of Tauranga re all the cruise ships arriving this season. Good news is that there are two new purpose built gangways being built to improve the access to and from the ship. Tauranga does not have a dedicated cruise liner berth/terminal so all the ships dock at the usual commercial wharfs so the access has sometimes been a bit of an issue. The port hopes that these new and much wider gangways will be better for all and certainly speed up the entry and exit of passengers, which when the large ships are in can take some time. The authorities here in Tauranaga really are making a big effort for the cruise ships as it brings a lot of business to the region. Feedback from passengers is that they like the stop over, being so close to great attractions such as Rotorua and Hobbiton, as well a few minutes walk to the down town cafes, shops and beaches of Mount Maunganui [this is the suburb where the ship berths]. If anyone needs any additional info just post here, pleased to assist. Regards Ian [tauranga]

Ian, that is great news and not entirely unexpected because you have a lovely little part of the world there and an increasing number of cruise ship visitors. Embarkation was a slight problem with a single file queue the length of the ship(photo attached). We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Mount Maunganui in January - fantastic views from the Mount and a great little community to explore. We did the thermal areas pre cruise and enjoyed our day at the Mount.

Ian,

I don't even remember there being a problem getting off the ship in your lovely port. I was just so excited to finally get there and go on tour with you, that I only remember the good things. It was a day filled with so many beautiful, interesting and exciting things, that it will go down as one of the best days of my cruising life.

Ian, that is great news and not entirely unexpected because you have a lovely little part of the world there and an increasing number of cruise ship visitors. Embarkation was a slight problem with a single file queue the length of the ship(photo attached). We thoroughly enjoyed our day at Mount Maunganui in January - fantastic views from the Mount and a great little community to explore. We did the thermal areas pre cruise and enjoyed our day at the Mount.

Yes, we think this will make a big difference, the new gangways are 1200mm wide which will allow for two way traffic and also help when passengers need assistance by stewards on and off the ship. If all you great cruisers keep coming to NZ and especially Tauranga then who knows, we may even get a proper cruise terminal built. Regards Ian

Hi Ian,

I too am struggling to find anything wrong with the call in Tauranga.

As a background,I have done 30 cruises all over the world and have called at Tauranga 4 times on the NZ/Au cruise's,and have to say that you rate very highly compared to other Ports of Call.Passengers realise that at ports such as yours they cant expect "flash" expansive terminals and are content that the container facilities at least allow the Cruise ships to call.Tauranga goes to a lot of trouble to set the pier up for visitors and it is very well organised,and is always commented on by passengers on their return to the ship as being one of the better ports of call.

Most ports only have a single gangway leading into the ship as everyone has to swipe their cruise cards for re- entry.If half a dozen coaches all arrive back at once,then folk have to be prepared to queue.

The only thing I could comment on for improvement,is the confusion by some visitors between Tauranga and Mount Maunganui.The Mount has everything people on holiday are looking for,but I have seen people determined to catch the local bus, to visit the City of Tauranga,despite being told that when they get there all they will see is street after street of commercial buildings,and then they come back and complain.The Information centre just down from the port gates is also sometimes missed by visitors,so perhaps this could be moved to the wharf for the day?

Keep up the good work.The sail in/out around Mt Maunganui is just great.

Hi Ian,

I too am struggling to find anything wrong with the call in Tauranga.

As a background,I have done 30 cruises all over the world and have called at Tauranga 4 times on the NZ/Au cruise's,and have to say that you rate very highly compared to other Ports of Call.Passengers realise that at ports such as yours they cant expect "flash" expansive terminals and are content that the container facilities at least allow the Cruise ships to call.Tauranga goes to a lot of trouble to set the pier up for visitors and it is very well organised,and is always commented on by passengers on their return to the ship as being one of the better ports of call.

Most ports only have a single gangway leading into the ship as everyone has to swipe their cruise cards for re- entry.If half a dozen coaches all arrive back at once,then folk have to be prepared to queue.

The only thing I could comment on for improvement,is the confusion by some visitors between Tauranga and Mount Maunganui.The Mount has everything people on holiday are looking for,but I have seen people determined to catch the local bus, to visit the City of Tauranga,despite being told that when they get there all they will see is street after street of commercial buildings,and then they come back and complain.The Information centre just down from the port gates is also sometimes missed by visitors,so perhaps this could be moved to the wharf for the day?

Keep up the good work.The sail in/out around Mt Maunganui is just great.

Hi david, thanks for those comments and suggestions. If you are OK with it i would like to pass them on to the port company here, the I-sites [Visitor information] and our local RTO [Regional Tourism Office which is Tourism BOP.

I am sure they would like to know the sort of feedback you have provided.

Hope to see you here again on another cruise.

Regards Ian [Tauranga, but in fact Mount Maunganui] NZ

Archived