have they extended the passport deadline?

jennew

As of today, if you will be returning to a US port from your cruise on or after January 8, 2007, you will need a passport. This was just copied from the State Department website (7am MST on October 2, 2006):

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

January 8, 2007 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

January 1, 2008 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Our understanding from all the government websites is that anyone traveling by air or sea to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will have to follow the new regulation effective January 8, 2007.

I read the article jennew mentioned here on CC http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1812 and it appears to conflict with what the government websites are posting:confused:

Julia

As I said in the other thread chyrsalis linked to, there has been confusion for quite a while on this issue.

All of the talk, congress bills, etc about delaying the deadline only refers to the land border crossings deadline (currently Jan 1, 2008). This is due to the close relationship that Canada and the US have enjoyed for years. They don't want to mess this up!

The only change to the air and sea travel deadline was to delay it one week to Jan 8th, 2007 to allow for holiday travelers to return after New Years. The current Congress legislation does not affect this at all.

see this article:

http://newsminer.com/2006/10/01/2436/

When in doubt, believe the U.S. Dept. of State website as opposed to a news article. That would have the definitive information. Don't put off getting your passport because the regulations might change.

Bottom line... get your passport and make sure that the expiration date is at least six months later than your return date.

This information is attached to my Princess itinerary under "my princess" on the princess.com website:

"**NEW PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS***

Effective JANUARY 8, 2007, all travelers to and from the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central and South America, and Bermuda will require a passport to enter or re-enter the United States. This initiative will affect all cruise and airline passengers. If you are booked on a voyage that departs prior to January 8, 2007 and returns to the United States on or after that date, a valid passport will be required.

We strongly recommend that all passengers not in possession of a passport obtain one immediately to avoid the expected rush at the end of the year. In addition, most countries require that passports be valid 6 months from the completion of travel.

Your immediate attention to this notice is appreciated. Failure to provide appropriate documentation at the time of embarkation may result in denied boarding."

Our understanding from all the government websites is that anyone traveling by air or sea to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will have to follow the new regulation effective January 8, 2007.

I read the article jennew mentioned here on CC http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1812 and it appears to conflict with what the government websites are posting:confused:

Julia

While the link is still working I don't see the link or anything about the story on the front page anymore.

Anyway the story posted is correct if you are NOT crossing the border by sea or air.

The only thing extended was for land border crossings.

Bill

According to Cruise News Daily, the new extension to the passport regulations was passed last Friday... BUT... it has yet to be signed into law. Once it's signed, it'll be on the Dept. of State website. Until it's signed and you see it on the website, continue to plan on getting a passport.

Is there a web site for Cruise News Daily???

Thanks

Why go there when you can go directly to the State Department's website and hear it right from the horse's mouth? As I said on the other passport thread, I am baffled how much time people spend on posting questions about "should I get a passport now or not?", "when do the new rules go into effect?" etc. Why in the world don't you just get a passport and it answers all your questions and solves all your problems. Seems like such an easy solution but apparently I am in the minority.

And as was mentioned earlier in this thread, the longer people wait to apply for one, the longer the wait will be to receive it, especially as any deadlines loom.

I would venture that 90% of the world's population that can easily get a passport already have one. Many Americans have some phobia against it for some reason.I know this was not directed at shoredreamer but rather at others who posted. I am baffled how much time people spend on posting questions about "should I get a passport now or not?", "when do the new rules go into effect?" etc. Why in the world don't you just get a passport and it answers all your questions and solves all your problems. Seems like such an easy solution but apparently I am in the minority.

There is no doubt that sooner...rather than later...we are all going to have to have a passport. Maybe by Jan 1...or maybe by the 8th...or maybe the week or month after that????:(

A couple of weeks ago there was great cheering because some border state Congress representatives had been succesful in getting something to the legislature before a deadline and everything would be "normal" soon. The day after that the news said...ooops too bad they didn't make it after all!!!:eek:

Everyone knows that we are going to need passports to travel anywhere, it doesn't matter whether you are American or Canadian, so why not just stop worrying about it and go get one?:confused:

Tom:)

Perhaps if someone has a large family, they want to delay spending so much money at once. That would be my reason for procrastinating. :p Maybe they spent all their money on their pre-travel expenses? Who knows! But, I know my grown daughter and I'll be getting one before our cruise in April. And, I don't want to wait until the last minute...but, yeah, I'm gonna put it off until after Christmas, probably. Gotta get those gifts first. :D

And, then sooner or later, my husband and younger daughter will need one. Actually, the twin to the grown daughter has had one since she's been 19 when she did a South Pacific Semester in New Zealand and Australia. How long do they last before needing to renew them? She's 30 now.

Why go there when you can go directly to the State Department's website and hear it right from the horse's mouth? As I said on the other passport thread, I am baffled how much time people spend on posting questions about "should I get a passport now or not?", "when do the new rules go into effect?" etc. Why in the world don't you just get a passport and it answers all your questions and solves all your problems. Seems like such an easy solution but apparently I am in the minority.

And as was mentioned earlier in this thread, the longer people wait to apply for one, the longer the wait will be to receive it, especially as any deadlines loom.

I would venture that 90% of the world's population that can easily get a passport already have one. Many Americans have some phobia against it for some reason.I know this was not directed at shoredreamer but rather at others who posted. I am baffled how much time people spend on posting questions about "should I get a passport now or not?", "when do the new rules go into effect?" etc. Why in the world don't you just get a passport and it answers all your questions and solves all your problems. Seems like such an easy solution but apparently I am in the minority.

We have five children. Taking them on a cruise is a large expense, adding another $500 for passports is a LOT.

So far I have gotten 2 passports for the kids, I am slowly making my way through the task. It requires time off of work, and about $100 per kid.

Don't post if you are fustrated by questions people may ask. The OP has a legitimate question.

jennew: I think the majority of folks here on the board realize that getting passports for those with large families and on a fixed budget for vacations is not an inexpensive thing.;) The good thing is,once you get them all done, you don't have to worry about it for another 9 years and 6 months.

PTC

The good thing is,once you get them all done, you don't have to worry about it for another 9 years and 6 months.

PTC

Unless the pasport holder is under 16, it is only good for 5 years.

On the other note:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

October 3, 2006: This information does not reflect important changes to the WHTI expected from pending legislation. We will update this page once that legislation has been finalized.

Seems like the deadline is once again postponed...at least for Caribbean/Mexico travel.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4231481.html

Oct. 3, 2006, 12:36AM

Passport rule eased for some cruise travel

Deadline also delayed for land crossings for U.S., Canada, Mexico

By HARRY SHATTUCK

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Cruise passengers sailing from Galveston, Houston and other U.S. ports have been granted a reprieve. They won't need passports starting Jan. 8 for voyages to Mexico and the Caribbean.

And new documentation requirements for land border crossings between the United States and Mexico or Canada, which were to have taken effect in 2008, also have been postponed.

The requirements could now kick in as late as June 1, 2009, according to an amendment in the Homeland Security Appropriations Bill that passed Congress late Friday.

But air passengers are still expected to need passports for all foreign travel beginning early next year, according to travel industry leaders.

Once implemented, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require that all travelers entering the United States from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Panama possess valid passports or other designated secure documents.

"Extension of the deadline ensures federal officials can implement this new rule correctly the first time," Travel Industry Association of America President Roger Dow said in a prepared statement. "This action also provides additional time to fully educate travelers here in the U.S. and neighboring countries on this change of law."

Cruise industry officials were especially worried that many passengers wouldn't meet the January deadline for obtaining passports.

The requirement would have applied to about 13,000 passengers per week on six ships sailing from the Galveston and Houston ports this winter.

About 11 million Americans are expected to cruise this year.

Only 30 percent to 40 percent of those who take short-duration cruises possess passports, said Michael Crye, president of the International Council of Cruise Lines.

Fewer than 60 percent on cruises of seven days or longer have passports. Instead, they use birth certificates and driver's licenses.

"The shorter Caribbean cruises were a real concern because the people who take these cruises are in large part first-time international travelers," Crye said Monday.

The council's surveys found that about half of those who book these voyages were unaware of the impending passport requirement, he said.

Linda de Sosa, vice president of Woodlake Travel Services in Houston, said the figures cited by Crye "are very consistent with what I see, especially for travelers planning a trip to Mexico and not having a passport."

Both de Sosa and Crye urged travelers to apply for passports without delay.

"That's our bottom-line message," Crye said. "It's going to happen. You are going to need a passport eventually, so go ahead and get it now."

An adult passport costs $97 and is valid for 10 years. The wait to get a passport averages about six weeks.

One major motivation for delaying implementation for land and sea travel is that State Department and Homeland Security officials have yet to make final their plans for a proposed alternative to a standard passport.

The new passport card for cruises and land border crossings would be more compact and affordable than the traditional document, while still maintaining its security features.

The legislation, which still needs President Bush's signature, doesn't require the State Department and Homeland Security to wait as long as mid-2009 for implementation.

For the timetable to move up, the departments would have to meet seven criteria, including sharing the technology for the passport card with Mexico and Canada.

The Western Hemisphere initiative is an outgrowth of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Act passed by Congress in 2004.

harry.shattuck@chron.com

Archived