Differences in champagne

djm719

For "everyday" drinking I do like some of the sparlking wines from Spain, Italy, or Australia (forgot about those yesterday), which are perfectly fine and perfectly in the budget.

LOL, I love that phrase!!!

Could you suggest some sparkling wines from Spain, Italy or Australlia that are pallatable and common enough that they might be easy to get?

This is a great thread. I'm learning alot:D . What about spumante? Do they have any other brands on board besides Martini & Rossi? I like it. It tastes like adult Kool-Aid;)

That is what I go for... Sorry to all of you who think I am completely insane but I don't like dry wines or champagnes. I prefer the sweet wines. I always buy a bottle of champagne for occassions that it's called for but I buy a bottle of spumante as well because I like it better.

Maura

Could you suggest some sparkling wines from Spain, Italy or Australia that are pallatable and common enough that they might be easy to get?
In post #9 of this thread I meantioned 3 Australian brands but doubt if they would make it outside of Australia - they certainly aren't available in England.

You could look out for Seaview or Great Western from Australia; from Spain they call their sparking wine 'Cava' and well known brands are Frexinet or Cordoniu; in Italy they either make Asti Spumante [which is far too sweet for my taste] or Prosecco or I have just come across a sparking Pinot Grigio which is very drinkable........have fun looking [and sampling!!!]

mauraoel- Are you my Mommy? LOL you just described her to a T. Her idea of red wine is Riunite white zinfendel. If it doesn't have a twist top it's too savvy for her.

DH and I do enjoy good wines and know very little about them. We do attend a lot wine tastings, and that's how we learn what little we do know. It's all for charity of course! ;) ;)

Sterling Merlot is my fav at the moment.

mauraoel- Are you my Mommy? LOL you just described her to a T. Her idea of red wine is Riunite white zinfendel. If it doesn't have a twist top it's too savvy for her.

DH and I do enjoy good wines and know very little about them. We do attend a lot wine tastings, and that's how we learn what little we do know. It's all for charity of course! ;) ;)

Sterling Merlot is my fav at the moment.

I atleast have enough decency to get something with a cork!!! But to be perfectly honest I have a favorite right now from a vineyard right here in Indiana and it isn't even really a wine... It is a mead. Sweet and very complex.

I thought I did! I prefer the Brut over the White Star. Back in the day, we used to have Moet' Monday parties, back when we had the hot tub and could still stay up late and get up early. :o Now were old and I'm hearing playing in my mind, "Thanks for the memories!" LOL

Could you suggest some sparkling wines from Spain, Italy or Australlia that are pallatable and common enough that they might be easy to get\ quote]

There are two new sparkling wines that are from Yellowglen Australian. The two are called Yellow, 100% chard and Pink.chard and pinot noir. They are the best selling sparkling wines in Australia.

Keith

Could you suggest some sparkling wines from Spain, Italy or Australlia that are pallatable and common enough that they might be easy to get?

We were introduced recently to Cristalino, from Spain. It is done in the traditional way and is very good. We now have bubbly more often - just save the really good stuff for special occasions.

Dan & Judy

That is what I go for... Sorry to all of you who think I am completely insane but I don't like dry wines or champagnes. I prefer the sweet wines. I always buy a bottle of champagne for occassions that it's called for but I buy a bottle of spumante as well because I like it better.

Maura

No worries. We (or at least I) don't think you're "insane" for knowing what you like and going with it. Just because it's not to my tastes, doesn't mean I think you're wrong or crazy.

BTW, Freixenet (Spanish) makes a Spumante that got an 82 in Wine Spectator. Freixenet is widely available and under $10 a bottle. For us brut lovers, their Cordon Negro is fairly decent (nothing special, but not lighter fluid either).

beachchick

:D Thanks, it's a phrase I like too.

From Spain, Freixenet and Cristalino have already been mentioned. See if you can find Segura Viudus Brut Reserva (it's also less than $10). I thought it was pretty tasty. I think it got mid-80s in Wine Spectator.

From Italy, try Dolce Vita or Zardetto Prosecco (varietal). There are several decent Proseccos made in the brut style. I don't know names off the top of my head.

From Australia, I only know a couple. Yellowglen is one (I think that's the right name). Jacob (or Jacob something or other) is one I had at a friend's house; I thought it was pretty good. I'm going to have to look for the ones that little britain mentioned earlier.

We don't have bubbly all that often because my DH doesn't drink and I can't do a whole bottle in one sitting. (I know, what a wimp!:D)

beachchick

The true champagnes/sparkling wines are fermented in the bottle 'Methode Champaigne'...then there are those that are injected with co2, like sodas.

:eek:

Just to go a bit further with that ( I haven't read the entire thread, sorry!) But true champagne is 'traditional methode' this means that the fermatation has been done by 'traditional methods' (go figure) purely stating that the fermentation is done by hand as opposed to a machine. This is clearly stated on the bottles by French Law or regulatory authorities.

I just say Cheers! Also, when you clink that glass, be sure to look your friends in the eyes...otherwise, I have heard the result is 7 years of bad sex!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just say Cheers! Also, when you clink that glass, be sure to look your friends in the eyes...otherwise, I have heard the result is 7 years of bad sex!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: is right!

From Spain, Freixenet and Cristalino have already been mentioned. See if you can find Segura Viudus Brut Reserva (it's also less than $10). I thought it was pretty tasty. I think it got mid-80s in Wine Spectator.

For the money, Segura Viudas is absolutely FAB!!! I have a preference for our BC wine here, but if I am in the market for an affordable bottle of bubbly, it is about $15 here in Canada - probably more like 8 in the US???

They do offer a Rose, but more limited quantaties than the regular - YUM!!!

There are two new sparkling wines that are from Yellowglen Australian. The two are called Yellow, 100% chard and Pink.chard and pinot noir. They are the best selling sparkling wines in Australia.

Keith

WOW - I am so jealous that you can get 'Yellow' over in USA as we cannot get it in England......if you can find it I suggest you try it - it is lovely!

Beachchick mentions 'Jacob' - the vineyard is called Jacobs Creek - a huge winery and mass producer of wines. Their bubbles are quite drinkable but for my book go for 'Yellow'!

I did ask an original quesiton about the quality of the 'Argyle' on board - only had one reply saying 'don't bother' - any other feedback please?!

I thought I did! I prefer the Brut over the White Star. Back in the day, we used to have Moet' Monday parties, back when we had the hot tub and could still stay up late and get up early. :o Now were old and I'm hearing playing in my mind, "Thanks for the memories!" LOL

I stand corrected, you most certainly did mention Moët, and yes, Brut is definitely the ticket!

I must be Champagne deprived, my eyesight is failing... however two weeks from tomorrow, Champagne Bar, here I come...

WOW - I am so jealous that you can get 'Yellow' over in USA as we cannot get it in England......if you can find it I suggest you try it - it is lovely!

Beachchick mentions 'Jacob' - the vineyard is called Jacobs Creek - a huge winery and mass producer of wines. Their bubbles are quite drinkable but for my book go for 'Yellow'!

I did ask an original quesiton about the quality of the 'Argyle' on board - only had one reply saying 'don't bother' - any other feedback please?!

Yes, that was it Jacobs Creek. I thought it was passable, but I did like the Yellowglen (glad I remembered that correctly) better. I do like the Segura Viudus from Spain and (if memory serves) put it close to the same level as the Yellowglen. Hm, I can't quite recall--perhaps a trip to the store is in order so we can have a tasting next time we have company. Maybe I'll get one each from Spain, Italy, Australia, France, and the US. Guess I'd better make that a sizable gathering. What a good idea! I think the Yellowglen was one I put on my "look for this on sale for parties" list. (I do not serve "cheap" wine to my friends or family and I do not drink cheap wine myself, but I do have to watch the budget.)

beachchick

Archived