Is anyone else a complete idiot on heels?

so there

I see that they say the heel is 3" and though I'm sure you were correct when you measured it at 4", the difference is caused by the platform which appears to be an inch thick, thus making the heel 3" high in relation to the bottom sole of the shoe.

Why are crepe heels and soles dangerous? I've never heard that.

Jane, I must be so much older than you;) In the 70s, when I was in college, crepe soled shoes were the big thing. Never anything with such a heel as my Stuarts. The crepe would get caught in carpet and cause the wearer to trip or fall. Maybe it was just me, Ms Klutz. I had a pair of suede and fur lace-up knee boots. They were gorgeous, even now I wish I still had them, but they nearly killed me a couple of times. No zippers on those boots -- they laced all the way up. I also had Clark Wallabees, which i think never went away. I saw a pair of Chanel crepe-soled desert boots in the NM mailing recently.

So, that's why I dislike crepe soles, because of the safety issue in the 70s. Maybe it was because in the 70s carpet=shag and crepe=real rubber which was a dangerous combination.

--Judy

p.s. How in the heck to you swing your hips in "small figure 8 motions"??? I just tried it and laughed so hard I had to sit back down. Hope no one puts their back out trying this!

Just read the article. They must assume anyone who wants to wear heels as high as they are showing will be willing to walk the walk! I couldn't even figure out what they were trying to do. Just thought it was funny!

Judy

Is there a good reason?

I don't know that it's a good reason, but for the same reason that we wear Spanx, acrylic nails, dye their hair, wax our mustaches, etc. (I only do the last one, but I'm thinking about #3 as the grey is coming in fast)/ We look better. A high heel makes the legs look longer (think Betty Grable) and sexier. Frankly, I don't think y'all are worth that particular pain.;)

p.s. How in the heck to you swing your hips in "small figure 8 motions"??? I just tried it and laughed so hard I had to sit back down. Hope no one puts their back out trying this!

That's what you do in Latin dances. It's kind of half a hula hoop move, but you do it in both directions, not in a circle. Once you get the hang of it, your hips will stop hurting (took me 3 weeks).

Some of you girls are just toooooo funny!!!!! :D I laughed the whole way through this thread!

I love sexy sexy shoes too. however, i don't want land on my face either. I'm sure if i do manage to stay upright, i look like a Stepford Wife trying to keep a fake smile on my face while my feet are screaming in agony:eek:

I have just come to the conclusion that super high heels aren't an option.

Maybe you can wear your sexy stilettos with your sexy dress when you get back to the cabin for a nightcap ...you won't have to walk very far and probably wont be on your feet for very long either! ;)

When I was in a few fasion shows in High School they told us the "figure 8 thing" and had us figure it out by "starting every step with your hip." This is how the models walk. If you watch them, their hips move a LOT.

The October issue of In Style magazine has an article called "How to Walk In High Heels" It's on page 371 and gives the "steps" to comfortable walking.

Here's the gist of the article --

1. Keep your shoulders back and head up.

2. Take short steps going down evenly on the foot and heel Do not walk heel to toe, because you could break the heel (shoe) or twist your ankle

3. Spread your toes in the shoe slightly to distribute the weight onto the ball of the foot.

4. Don't stiffen up when you walk. Let your hips swing in small, figure 8 motions.

--Judy

don't forget:

5. have a couple of glasses of wine

oops insert that at no. 1

When I was in a few fasion shows in High School they told us the "figure 8 thing" and had us figure it out by "starting every step with your hip." This is how the models walk. If you watch them, their hips move a LOT.

they have pole dancing lessons these days, i think that would be a bit more fun than learning how to do a figure 8, and they do it in high heels

they have pole dancing lessons these days, i think that would be a bit more fun than learning how to do a figure 8, and they do it in high heels

High heels are an advantage to give you that strut

from

http://www.polestars.com.au/default.asp?s2=about&s3=What%20Should%20I%20Wear?

High heels are not required but are encouraged.

from

http://denver.backpage.com/community/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=oid%3A443434&name=classes%2Fworkshops

Here's a couple of "tricks" ....

Don't buy 3.5" heels. Those are too high for most. Stick with 2.5" to 3" heels.

Don't buy cheap shoes. I know that can be an issue for those who are only going to wear something a few times, but cheap shoes are poorly constructed. The sole is made from man-made materials, there's no padding in the ball of the foot and there's no attention given to making the right "last" because that cots money. (that's the slope between ball and heel).

High heeled shoes made in China are guaranteed to hurt your feet and those from Brazil follow close behind.

I can walk miles in a 3" heel - I do it all the time - but if I bought a pair from China I doubt I could make it from my stateroom to the dining room.

Buy shoes from Italy or France. Even Spain can be "iffy" as they make a totally different last that's designed to put all the weight on the ball of your foot. Even after that, make sure you buy shoes that are returnable and walk on carpeting in your house for a couple of hours to see how they feel. Once you find a brand that's comfortable, try to stick with them as they generally make things in the same factories.

For evening shoes I find Stuart Weitzman and Anne Klein brands to be amazingly comfortable and they're not priced stratospherically.

Taryn Rose and some Cole Haan styles are great too. I can walk for miles in my Taryn rose shoes. She was an orthopedic sugreon and tries to design fashionable shoes that feel good on your feet. They are made by hand in Italy.

As far as learning to walk. I definately agree to avoid anything too high and platforms can be hard to walk in because they don't bend. I personally like kitten heels and flexible soles. Walk heel to toe. Pratice until it feels right.

oh my goodness ladies.... We need a lesson in balance... course 101!!

Stick with me, this could be fun... Trust me, after 10 years of ballroom dancing in heels I have it down to a science.

First off, a 3 inch is just too high for a ship if you are not use to this heel. A 2.5 inch can do wonderful things for the look of your lower calf's....But if you all insist, buy some suede, cut it out and glue it to that deadly leather sole, it will ground you to the floor. Short of that it is all about posture, posture, posture.

Take five mintues each day and find your center balance.... Stand up straight and place your weight over the balls of your feet. At first it will feel funny, like you are going to fall over, but this is the posture postion you want. Most people shift weight into the heels which causes you to be unbalanced and fall over in a high shoe. You will look "slouched",(is this a word????) and have a hard time with the 3 inchers...

Next shift your weight so that you can stand on one foot, other foot off the ground. If you can do this you know that you have properly done a weight shift.... Once you learn how to shift your weight you can swing thoes hips or whatever in a 10 inch heel!!

Do this, making coffee in the morning go on the balls of your toes, shift weight.... My favorite, bored at work, in the ladies room stall shift your weight, feel where you are....

By cruise time, I absolutley guarantee you that you can dance in thoes heels, meet the captian in thoes heels, damn, do the walking track in thoes heels!!!

I have friends that now and then come and watch us compete and always they ask me how I can dance in thoes heels....I say.. oh I thought I had sneakers on...they feel that good

Report your progress back!!

I will vouch for you smoothdancer! I wear the type of shoes aloha presented to work every day and I run around a lot. I also wear those type of shoes for dress...well, strappy sandals with similar heel...and I can also vouch that I danced in a pair of Franco Sarto Italian slides for four hours straight one night. If I can brag anything about myself...is killer legs. When trying on shoes, I dance around the store to make sure they fit. Oops...gotta go...Dancing With The Stars is on!

Coka

Stick with me, this could be fun... Trust me, after 10 years of ballroom dancing in heels I have it down to a science.

First off, a 3 inch is just too high for a ship if you are not use to this heel. A 2.5 inch can do wonderful things for the look of your lower calf's....But if you all insist, buy some suede, cut it out and glue it to that deadly leather sole, it will ground you to the floor. Short of that it is all about posture, posture, posture.

Take five mintues each day and find your center balance.... Stand up straight and place your weight over the balls of your feet. At first it will feel funny, like you are going to fall over, but this is the posture postion you want. Most people shift weight into the heels which causes you to be unbalanced and fall over in a high shoe. You will look "slouched",(is this a word????) and have a hard time with the 3 inchers...

Next shift your weight so that you can stand on one foot, other foot off the ground. If you can do this you know that you have properly done a weight shift.... Once you learn how to shift your weight you can swing thoes hips or whatever in a 10 inch heel!!

Do this, making coffee in the morning go on the balls of your toes, shift weight.... My favorite, bored at work, in the ladies room stall shift your weight, feel where you are....

By cruise time, I absolutley guarantee you that you can dance in thoes heels, meet the captian in thoes heels, damn, do the walking track in thoes heels!!!

I have friends that now and then come and watch us compete and always they ask me how I can dance in thoes heels....I say.. oh I thought I had sneakers on...they feel that good

LOL I could tap dance all day in heels...it was the walking on the ground in flat shoes that did me in :rolleyes: I have re-found my balance, standing on one leg like a flamingo! :p

Thank you smoothdancer. I am a stroke survivor - and although I look fine my sense of balance is very lacking. I am taking my first cruise alone since the strokes - and looking forward to the formal nights. Am looking for a formal cane right now. I have a pair of black heels that are a modest 2 inches. One thing that helped me is the heel is the same size of my cane end - those skinny heels, no matter how short make me dizzy. I am practicing the excersize you put in the thread - hopefully I will be ship-shape by the time of the cruise. Right now I have a problem standing on a hillside. Will also to remember to practice after I made my martini. (We don't even have to discuss the fact that when tired I am a cross between Sophia from Golden Girls and Berniece on Designing Women)

Through trial and error, mostly error I found that the best dressy sandals for me are no more than 2-1/2" heals and they have to have a strap on the back with a clasp I can adjust. I don't do well in mules (they clip clop when I walk and fall off when cross my legs).

If the strap in the back has just elastic, I find they fall off as I walk as well.

I found the best dress shoes at Talbots. Strappy black patent leather with a buckle on the strap so I can adjust it accordingly and 2-1/2 heels.

I wore them on my last cruise and could actually run up and down the stairs in them.

I wore them with everything, long black skirt, pants etc. Found them to be so practicle for cruises.

When they went on sale I bought a pair in gold, white and bronze. I would have bought more, but hubby would have killed me.

So now when I buy any dress shoe they have to to have a clasp and not too high a heel.

Okay, maybe I'm getting old now (43) but I'm not about to get sore feet or a bad back for ANY man! Isn't that why women wear high heels? Certainly not because they FEEL good! Okay, I guess this attidtude is why I'm single--LOL. Seriously, this upcoming cruise will be my first, and what is the alternative footwear for formal nights for those of us who don't want to wobble around in heels? Has anyone seen anything flat that looks semi-decent dressed up?

My mom and I sat with a lovely woman one night on our cruise to Norway and she had splurged on a beautiful pair of Stuart Weizman shoes (remember the Cinderella see-through ones from a few years back) and after dinner she couldn't stand up! She wasn't that old, but was a little worried about losing her balance and her shoes kept slipping out from under her. The soles were so smooth there was no way she could stand up on carpet. Don't know how she made it to the dining room without killing herself!

Viv

Okay, maybe I'm getting old now (43) but I'm not about to get sore feet or a bad back for ANY man! Isn't that why women wear high heels? Certainly not because they FEEL good! Okay, I guess this attidtude is why I'm single--LOL. Seriously, this upcoming cruise will be my first, and what is the alternative footwear for formal nights for those of us who don't want to wobble around in heels? Has anyone seen anything flat that looks semi-decent dressed up?

Hi, :) I would suggest Zappos online. They have TONS and TONS

of choices.

Also, if you have a DSW near you...they usually have plenty

of flats...from casual to dressy as well.

And you don't have to wear a stiletto....if you find a pretty

dress sandal with 1.5" to 2" heel. Many times that is not

too high.

Hope this helps a bit:)

Okay, maybe I'm getting old now (43) but I'm not about to get sore feet or a bad back for ANY man! Isn't that why women wear high heels? Certainly not because they FEEL good! Okay, I guess this attidtude is why I'm single--LOL.

Women wear high heels for many reasons and yes, many men like them. Obviously I don't know your foot or back maladies, but as a lover of high heels I can tell you that they're not all the same. Some are miserably uncomfortable (usually due to poor construction, cheap materials or the wearer simply not selecting the right syle for her foot) but I have many that are very comfortable. I wouldn't give up comfort.

Seriously, this upcoming cruise will be my first, and what is the alternative footwear for formal nights for those of us who don't want to wobble around in heels? Has anyone seen anything flat that looks semi-decent dressed up?

There are plenty of dressy flats around. Last season Chanel made a shoe with a tuxedo look - black and white satin w/ a gold bar holding the "collar" ends together. Doesn't get dressier than that - truly chic! They made them in a flat ballerina style as well as in 3" heels.

This year there are many, many dressy flats around. Have a look on Zappos.com

I think "kitten" heels look classy - I have a pair of pastel ones and will be getting a black pair from Zappos.com for my upcoming trip. I find I can walk and stand in them, but kill myself in anything higher (although they look great!!:D I call my "high" high heels my "going out to dinner" shoes - can walk to the table, sit, eat, and walk back out before the dogs start to bark!))

I could only dream to have the grace and balance of a ballroom dancer, but I actually have been walking around on the balls of my feet and shifting my weight from one to the other and I do believe I'm getting better at it! It's a little tricky to balance forward, but after a bit it gets easier.

I'll be happy if I can just walk in the things....I have no intention of trying to dance. And next cruise? I think I'll find some lovely flats and have my gowns hemmed.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

Good for you!.. So now we continue on.

Now we want to finish off the posture. Pick your head up, shoulders down. You chin should be even with the floor. It is a common mistake to pick it up to high abd break the line in the back of the neck.. Feel the back of your neck... That is where the stretch should, a straight line.

Now, think of pullling your belly button all the way to the back of your spine! With your forward poise you will have a hollow shaped feeling in your tummy. Easy, right!!.. It took me a long time to get this but ya have to start somewhere.

About the shoes... I am fine in a 2 1/2 inch heel. But now in all the stores the heels have got to be 3 inch and higher... This is just too high, especially on a ship. Any so many platform type of shoes, and I just dont like them. It is already becoming a challenge for me to find shoes I like for the new, absolutley perfect gown I bought for our December cruise.

Archived