Cell phone service

djm719

I'm curious as to how much cell phone service you get on the ships. I'm doing the Western Caribbean on the Navigator next month and I have T-Mobile as a carrier. Do they work on the ship in the middle of the ocean or just on certain islands? My last cruise (2 years ago) I remember getting service on St. Thomas but that was it.

We're leaving our 4 month old home with my mother for the week so I'm going to want to check in a few times. This new mother is very excited about the cruise but I will DEFINITELY have withdrawals from my little man!

Although my husband will not be allowed to use his cell phone (workaholic)!! Thanks

On the ships with cell phone connections, it works with Cingular. While you're at sea, don't expect any "bars!" On U.S. owned islands, you may get reception. On foreign soil, nope!

Use the ship's e-mail, it's the cheapest way! The 4 month old can't talk to you, so dropping a line occassionally should be ok.

You can always buy an international calling card WHEN YOU GET TO THE FOREIGN PORT and use a pay phone to call home. DON'T buy the card in the states--it won't work on foreign islands!

I have use my cell phone a lot on RCL Ships that have the service. It works well. I do have Cingular and there special World Service and the phone I have is a TREO 650 which will work in almost any country. The rates with Cingular and its World Service is $2.49/min. Now that rate is only on the ship as soon as they get in to a port they turn off the ships cell phone system and your cell phone will go over to what ever cell phone system that is in that port, so be careful the rates in port can a lot higher then even on ship. I found out the hard way by not checking who's cell system I was picking up in port.

I do 3 or 4 transatlantic cruise a year and its so great knowing that if it is important family can get me or I can get them.

I hope this info helps

Robertoward

You need to determine if your T-mobile is GSM capable. If it is, you will be able to access "Cingular at Sea" when on board most RCI ships. (The list of cell-equipped ships follows below.)

If your phone is not GSM equipped, you are out of luck while on board.

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/cruise_ships_rates.jsp?PIDL=DIR%7CWC%7CWCM&dsessionid=FQQQm0GWJ346fgdrZlXhkXRNw2qvFdB2mlqm4cmjlxf1BHNGHHGJ!-1282084815!1157660688544

LL

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-cruiseship.html

Just found this and have signed up for it. Anyone tried it?

Lori

I just called on this one because it sounded great - until I called. I would have to rent an international phone and then sign up for the international plan. We didn't get into the cost after that since it wasn't worth it me. Thanks for posting though.

It depends on your carrier as to what coverage you get...we have Cingular and got 'no extra charge' coverage on many parts of our recent cruises...

(by 'no extra charge' coverage, I mean, that my bill didnt reflect any roaming or extra minute charges or any extra charges above my normal bill...this was true in the Caribbean adn in many ports in Alaska)

Talked to T-Mobile today and signed up for world acess. There is no charge to sign up.If you go to thier web site it explains it all.

I am on the Jewel and there is cell service on her .It is listed on the t-mobile web site.

It will be 4.99 a minute when out to sea and regular t mobile charges when it port. Examples Bermuda and st thomas are both 1.49 a min.

Once again just call t mobile make sure your phone is one of the corect ones for this service and sign up. No charge but you must sign up

Talked to T-Mobile today and signed up for world acess. There is no charge to sign up.If you go to thier web site it explains it all.

I am on the Jewel and there is cell service on her .It is listed on the t-mobile web site.

It will be 4.99 a minute when out to sea and regular t mobile charges when it port. Examples Bermuda and st thomas are both 1.49 a min.

Once again just call t mobile make sure your phone is one of the corect ones for this service and sign up. No charge but you must sign up

T-mobile charges you extra in the U.S. Virgin Islands? USVI and Puerto Rico are included in Cingular's nationwide coverage plan.

We signed up in May of 05 thru Sprint for their international calling while on our honeymoon cruise. I called home about 3 times to check on my boys and really had no major charges. I think the actual calling plan was $10-12 dollars or so.... It worked out great for us.

Esmerelda

Archived