Do I sense some rejection? ?

eloyps

Me and my husband are joining the thanksgiving AOS cruise,but something is really bothering me.I have not yet put a single toe in the ship and I am already feeling outcasted..I have read a few messages that have questioned the fact of so many people from Puerto Rico being in their cruises,openly considering it a negative fact.Some went as far as to,very wrongly conclude that the reason was because we got the tickets much cheaper,being from San Juan! I frankly do not know if I should get very angry about this or just feel sorry for such shortness of mind.I chose the second option.It is really sad to realize that ignorance and therefore intollerance is so widely found,not even a cruise in our very peacefull caribbean sea is free of it!

I am a doctor and my husband is a mechanical engineer,we are very decent ,fun to be around peolpe and we are very much looking forward to getting to know peolple from all over the world in this cruise !!!!!!

I know its tough not to take it personally but just know that the opinions here on CC are the small minority of actual opinions on the cruise.

I have seen comments about the "rudeness" of the people on the ships leaving New Jersey and New York. And how those cruises are just overrun with rude, pushy people. :rolleyes:

People just need something to complain about. Don't let it effect your cruise. You will be welcomed with open arms. No worries!

We cruised on the AOS last summer and it was absolutely the best cruise we've ever been on. The Puerto Ricans are well dressed, well mannered, family-oriented, and a lot of fun. You have to realize that this board represents a very small percentage of people who cruise. Something you may read here will not be indicative of what you will experience in reality.

Don't worry about it and have a wonderful cruise. Wish I were going with you!

Me and my husband are joining the thanksgiving AOS cruise,but something is really bothering me.I have not yet put a single toe in the ship and I am already feeling outcasted..I have read a few messages that have questioned the fact of so many people from Puerto Rico being in their cruises,openly considering it a negative fact.Some went as far as to,very wrongly conclude that the reason was because we got the tickets much cheaper,being from San Juan! I frankly do not know if I should get very angry about this or just feel sorry for such shortness of mind.I chose the second option.It is really sad to realize that ignorance and therefore intollerance is so widely found,not even a cruise in our very peacefull caribbean sea is free of it!

I am a doctor and my husband is a mechanical engineer,we are very decent ,fun to be around peolpe and we are very much looking forward to getting to know peolple from all over the world in this cruise !!!!!!

First of all, you should not feel the need to to tell us that you are decent people! Whatever shallow and narrowminded individuals who made comments about Puerto Rican or any other ethnic passengers onboard the AOS should take a closer look at themselves!

I sailed the AOS in February after a 4 day pre-cruise stay in San Juan, and we fell in love with the city and it's wonderful culture :)

Please - do not pay attention to people who find announcements in Spanish a topic of conversation.......go and enjoy your cruise and have a very Happy Thanksgiving aboard the beautiful Adventure of the Seas!

I know its tough not to take it personally but just know that the opinions here on CC are the small minority of actual opinions on the cruise.

I have seen comments about the "rudeness" of the people on the ships leaving New Jersey and New York. And how those cruises are just overrun with rude, pushy people. :rolleyes:

People just need something to complain about. Don't let it effect your cruise. You will be welcomed with open arms. No worries!

So true, there was a thread pulled from Princess yesterday that was a huge argument about all the rude NY/NJ people on the Crown Princess. It's ridiculous.

Go, enjoy and don't look for any negativity from anyone and you won't notice it. I understand what you are saying about the seeming attitude from some about cruises from San Juan I noticed it previous posts also. Please don't let this diminish your enjoyment.

Please do not let a few morons ruin your experience. We prefer sailing from San Juan because it is the best port of departure in the world. We fly from RI every year and enjoy the he__ out of it. And we also enjoy the diversity of the region. I say scr_w them nay sayer's.

What puzzles me is the negative post come from people that have 5000+ post's and only 2 or 3 cruises under thier belts.

Ditto what everyone else has already posted for me !!!!

We stayed 3 days/2 nights precruise in old San Juan last November before our Serenade cruise..... we fell in love with the place AND THE PEOPLE.

We found everyone we encountered to be friendly and very proud of their city.... and rightly so.

We went to a couple of salsa clubs on Friday night (wanted ones where the locals go) and we learned how it is really done :D Wish I was there right now !!!!!!!!! QUICK QUICK SLOW..... QUICK QUICK SLOW.....

We don't have any concrete plans YET but we definatly plan on visiting Puerto Rico in the future and explore the whole island !!!! I have been researching renting a villa in Rincon or one of the other areas outside of SJ.

As for any rudeness you may encounter by the above mentioned "MORONS" just smile at them and go about your business.... they are the ones who have to go through life that way ;)

Thank you all !!!!

I certainly did not expected such a wonderful warm response and I am very gratefull.Maybe I was being too sensitive,but is a good thing I posted what I felt,because know I realize you are all right,the majority of the people is good willed,respectful ,nice people.It really makes me feel much better.Thank you.I also realize that probably we could extrapolate this to the rest of society as well,so there is hpoe after all !!!!!!

Thank you again,and I know I will have a very good time!!!!

On our last cruise, there were about 2500 passengers. Out of those, there were 30 at our "Meet and Mingle". A VERY small percentage of the cruising public is represented on these boards! Take everything you hear on this site with a grain of salt--and you'll be fine!

Have a great cruise!

Personally, if you need to come on here and express how you feel sorry for those folk who are intolerant and short of mind, then I respectfully request that you climb down off your high horse and smell what you're shoveling. Anytime that there are a group of people present, you're going to find people who don't respect your opinion, or maybe your ancestors, or maybe your.................... fill in the blank. Get over it, if you're going to let that get in the way of enjoying a cruise, before you even start packing, then maybe you need to reconsider cooping yourself up on an approximately 1000 foot long vessel with 4000 other people. JMHO, YMMV, you may fire when ready Gridley!

Ditto what everyone else has already posted for me !!!!

We stayed 3 days/2 nights precruise in old San Juan last November before our Serenade cruise..... we fell in love with the place AND THE PEOPLE.

We found everyone we encountered to be friendly and very proud of their city.... and rightly so.

We went to a couple of salsa clubs on Friday night (wanted ones where the locals go) and we learned how it is really done :D Wish I was there right now !!!!!!!!! QUICK QUICK SLOW..... QUICK QUICK SLOW.....

We don't have any concrete plans YET but we definatly plan on visiting Puerto Rico in the future and explore the whole island !!!! I have been researching renting a villa in Rincon or one of the other areas outside of SJ.

As for any rudeness you may encounter by the above mentioned "MORONS" just smile at them and go about your business.... they are the ones who have to go through life that way ;)

I am glad you liked our island!

I live very close to Rincon,it is a beautiful place,but the ocean is a little rough because it is not the caribbean sea but the Atlantic ocean up there.

If you want the very tranquil caribbean sea,you have to come to the southwest part of the island.I can give you a few tips if you want

I am glad you liked our island!

I live very close to Rincon,it is a beautiful place,but the ocean is a little rough because it is not the caribbean sea but the Atlantic ocean up there.

If you want the very tranquil caribbean sea,you have to come to the southwest part of the island.I can give you a few tips if you want

I would love to go to San Juan one day. My Spanish teacher had told me wonderful things about the city. Luckily the Liberty will be stopping there in 2008!

Rincon would be for the surfing......dh has not outgrown his love of it..... we also dive and have been certified divers for almost 20 years......

Maybe we will stay in that area for a few days and then move to the other side for a few days.... :)

We sailed on the AOS in April and had a wonderful time and so will you! Since we come from the NYC area we are used to a large diverse community and felt right at home on the AOS.

These boards are like any community you will find a wide selection of opinions, some positive and some negative. Don't give them a second thought - be yourself and have fun.

FWIW, I thought that the phosporescent beach was one of the coolest things that I've ever seen, although I couldn't get out to Arrecibo to see the radio telescope, that might have trumped it. Of course, not being fond of reptiles, driving around Rosie Roads and having to avoid 4 and 5 foot long lizards wasn't one of the highlights of visiting Puerto Rico, but the people more than made up for that.

Personally, if you need to come on here and express how you feel sorry for those folk who are intolerant and short of mind, then I respectfully request that you climb down off your high horse and smell what you're shoveling. Anytime that there are a group of people present, you're going to find people who don't respect your opinion, or maybe your ancestors, or maybe your.................... fill in the blank. Get over it, if you're going to let that get in the way of enjoying a cruise, before you even start packing, then maybe you need to reconsider cooping yourself up on an approximately 1000 foot long vessel with 4000 other people. JMHO, YMMV, you may fire when ready Gridley!

You are very right,we all have to cope with rejection at all levels,but there is not one chance that this will ruin my cruise! You are also right about the rest,crouded places are not my favorites,I am a free traveler always in not crouded seasons,but I have cruised in the past and always enjoyed it.So thank you,but no thank you!!!!

Old San Juan is such a beautiful coty,we are very proud of it,but the rest of the city is like any other big city.If you want a real taste of the island,you may have to consider the rest of the island.I live in the west -south part of it and I love it.I live very close to the ocean,and I am blessed to be able to enjoy that view every morning while having breakfast in my porch.How cool is that?????

Surfing is very good in Rincon,and the "ambiance" is great! Very relaxed,very laid back,just perfect for vacationists.For diving I think "La Parguera" is much better.Have you heard about "La Pared"?

I know,lizards are uuuugly!!!!We are not afraid of them but we are not use to them either.There are not endemic of our area,those were imported pet lizards that recently are going wild!!!Before these episodes,we had lizards of anothe kind (also as big)only in two of our little islands.

I have cruised on the Adventure two times, in April 2005 and again in November 2005. It was a WONDERFUL experience. On the November cruise (right after Thanksgiving), there were a lot of locals. I had heard that over 2,000 of the ship's 3,000 passengers were from PR. Were there rude people - yes, but no more than I find on a trip to my local mall! And most of the rude people were non-PRs. The majority of the passengers were friendly and well-mannered. Yes, it was still "low season" and I did hear of mega-specials offered to "fill the ship." So what. I think it's nice that the local people are given this chance they may not otherwise have. There were large families, with people of all ages. They had a good time. I believe the cruise lines will also offer specials to locals in Miami, New Orleans, Galveston, etc.

I've been to PR 5 times. On one of these trips, my husband and I were fortunate enough to have a good friend come along who was raised in PR. He showed us so many neat things, one of my favorites being the Pinones beach area east of Isle Verde. We had the best tasting fresh mango I've ever tasted, along with tostones, empanadallas (sorry if I've butchered the spelling). The PR culture fascinates me. We've rented cars and driven to the mall, been to Old San Juan, Bacardi. Next time, we need to venture outside of the city.

The nay-sayers need to shut up! You will love the cruise! You have a beautiful island and you're very fortunate to be able to enjoy it daily!

This makes me want to schedule a trip real soon - I wish I could fly directly to SJU so I could do a quick weekend trip!!!

Oh, my! As you can quickly see, I'm a new participant to this site. I've learned a lot - in many ways. If I would have read all of these boards before I chose to cruise - I don't know that I would have! I have enjoyed many, many, cruises without ever looking at this site. In any walk of life, you will find complainers, and you will also find those of us who enjoy our vacations. Go! Enjoy! Don't read anymore! You'll have a great time! Advice - count the number of names who have responded to you. In a ship that holds thousands, what are the possibilties that you would ever run in to such nay sayers?

I have cruised on the Adventure two times, in April 2005 and again in November 2005. It was a WONDERFUL experience. On the November cruise (right after Thanksgiving), there were a lot of locals. I had heard that over 2,000 of the ship's 3,000 passengers were from PR. Were there rude people - yes, but no more than I find on a trip to my local mall! And most of the rude people were non-PRs. The majority of the passengers were friendly and well-mannered. Yes, it was still "low season" and I did hear of mega-specials offered to "fill the ship." So what. I think it's nice that the local people are given this chance they may not otherwise have. There were large families, with people of all ages. They had a good time. I believe the cruise lines will also offer specials to locals in Miami, New Orleans, Galveston, etc.

I've been to PR 5 times. On one of these trips, my husband and I were fortunate enough to have a good friend come along who was raised in PR. He showed us so many neat things, one of my favorites being the Pinones beach area east of Isle Verde. We had the best tasting fresh mango I've ever tasted, along with tostones, empanadallas (sorry if I've butchered the spelling). The PR culture fascinates me. We've rented cars and driven to the mall, been to Old San Juan, Bacardi. Next time, we need to venture outside of the city.

The nay-sayers need to shut up! You will love the cruise! You have a beautiful island and you're very fortunate to be able to enjoy it daily!

This makes me want to schedule a trip real soon - I wish I could fly directly to SJU so I could do a quick weekend trip!!!

you have made me hungry and I am already on a strict pre-cruise diet!!!

I am glad you liked the island,if I may,I suggest you come to the west-south side next time!!I can give you some good tips.

I've been on cruises (2) out of San Juan packed with residents of Puerto Rico, I have been on cruises out of Florida (4) packed with Floridians. I have been on cruises out of California (5) packed with Californians. Heck, I've been on a cruise out of Louisiana packed with Louisianans and Italy packed with Italians...what is my point? I ain't had a bad cruise yet. Who cares where our fellows cruises hail from?? I enjoy meeting all of them! The only people who don't enjoy the cruise they are on are the people who would complain no matter what. You could hand them a $10 bill for no reason and they would whine because it wasn't a $20. Ignore the narrow minded bigots. Me...heck I'm waiting for California to drop off into the ocean so I can develop my "ocean front" property in Yuma Arizona into a port so I can be the leader of the pack when we have a cruise packed with "Zonies". Go enjoy yourselves and pay no attention to the 1% (or less) of the whiners.

San Juan is a beautiful city. We really enjoyed our precruise stay there last January before our AOS cruise. Spent one morning talking with a couple who had retired there from PA. DH and I thought that we should consider it as well. Who knows someday these long term Yankees may be your neighbors. Then we will be able to take advantage of those off season mega specials on my favorite itinerary.

Archived