With fuel Oil down does the price come down too on HAL?

AAAAmerican

With fuel oil down now as well crude now below 59$USD a BBL does that mean HAL will reduce prices too more now?

87 Octane Petrol (GAS) in S.NJ here is below $1.90 a galllon... and it looks as if it is still going to decrease.

:D

If everyone decreases the highway speeds, below 55 MPH, also the savings are immense.

Conservation is key and your seeing the results more and more.

When do the cruise prices start showing this now?:eek:

On the prices for future cruises.

The cruise line has to project out a year or two ... set their prices based on what they believe fuel will cost when a particular cruise sails. Of course, prices for cruises in the next year or so are probably higher because the projections reflected that fuel would cost more. HAL probably won't lower the prices of those cruises because they are still trying to make up for losses they took on past cruises where they didn't project high enough.

But cruises booking say in 2008/2009 might show a slight reduction attributable to the lower cost of fuel.

Hey ... I don't blame the cruise line for not lowering the cost of cruises because fuel has gone down. I certainly don't want them upping my price because fuel costs went up, do I? You pay what you agreed to pay, and if the cost of fuel goes up or down ... that's the cruise line's problem to deal with. If they've done their projections well, they should come out about even.

Blue skies ...

--rita

the cruise lines and the airlines reserve the right to charge surchages (based on price spikes) for fuel. they need to also provide refunds (when the price spikes down) if the price goes down to be fair. I guess big business is not fair....

I am really bothered that all the utility companies in my area raised rates at least 30% and I don't even hear any mention of those being lowered. It was really ironic that they raised their rates based on the barrell of oil price going up. Many of these utilities use coal and nuclear power, I know the economy is all interconnected but that's just taking advantage of the apathy of the consumers IMHO

With fuel oil down now as well crude now below 59$USD a BBL does that mean HAL will reduce prices too more now?

87 Octane Petrol (GAS) in S.NJ here is below $1.90 a galllon... and it looks as if it is still going to decrease.

:D

If everyone decreases the highway speeds, below 55 MPH, also the savings are immense.

Conservation is key and your seeing the results more and more.

HOLY JUMPING BANANAS:eek: Your gas it $1.90 a gallon?? This morning our gas was down to a whopping $2.72 and we thought that was good! I know you are talking about cruise prices dropping but jeez now I wish our gas prices would get down to yours. I live in the San Fernando Valley just 22 miles north of Los Angeles and our gas is ridiculous!!! But I am looking forward to our Sea of Cortez trip in February.

Kathy

:eek: You're gas is how much? We just filled up for $2.00 per gallon and thought that was still too high based on crude oil price decline. I guess I'll thank my lucky stars! Still, cruise lines like all transportation companies are way too slow to decrease prices based on oil prices.

Airlines, Shipping Companies and Utilities don't just pull up to the pump and pay whatever spot price the way you and I do.

They negotiate the purchase price of these commodities in massive quantities months or years in advance to get the most advantageous pricing possible.* They then hedge their contracts on the futures market so that if the spot price goes way up outside the bounds of the contract price, they will have to only pay a minimal additional amount.

Now if their broker is really good, they might be able take advantage of drops in price in the same way, but that generally would leave them at risk of spot price increases (you can't consistently take both sides of the same bet and come out on top - doing so tends to negate one's actions and incurrs massive additional costs)

Since fuel prices are more likely to trend upwards in the long term, everyone in these industries is generally wise to plan on paying*(and charge for) rising prices and not worrying about losses if the spot price drops temporarily (that's the risk of taking the bet: you don't always win).* Therefore there is little to no monetary advantage in a falling spot-price situation, resulting in little to nothing to "refund" or otherwise pocket as "profit".

BTW - I find it laughable when folks want "refunds" when costs go down.

Please remember that Airlines, Shipping Companies and Utilities are not Non-Profit organizations - there simply to provide you with your vacation at the lowest possible cost to them.* If they manage to eke out a little more profit from some sort of advantageous cost savings, it would be insanely irresponsible to the ownership and shareholders of that company to "refund" this pricing advantage to consumers.* If Micky allowed his line Presidents to do this - they would ALL be looking for new jobs...

:eek: You're gas is how much? We just filled up for $2.00 per gallon and thought that was still too high based on crude oil price decline. I guess I'll thank my lucky stars! Still, cruise lines like all transportation companies are way too slow to decrease prices based on oil prices.

I lived in NJ for years and found it to have the least costly gas in the nation. I am now outside of Chicago, in the land beyond ORD, and we are finally a hair under $2.50. Compared to our friends in Europe, none of us have anything to complain about.

I understand the real world aspect of the situation.

Now what would be better is that if you pay for your cruise based on their educated guess then that's it. They don't get to do the fuel surcharge later if they guessed wrong. they make a deal they live with it. Currently they assume no risk based on their guess. they can always hold your reservation hostage for more money.

Letting a business have it both ways is a bit much. But hey, we don't have to buy their products.

You think that's expensive? We pay $7.50 per gallon!!!!! Regards from Me.

Which is it ? Your Imperial?. Or as regards from ME is Maine here.. is that where you are currently? :D

As in the Pound of Feathers and a Pound of Goldd (AU) which is heavier?

How many know here? :cool:

From the "frozen tundra": taking into consideration the conversion from litres to US gallons, and Cdn to US $, we are paying $2.99 per US gallon up here. And it's gone down from a high of $3.87 about 6 weeks ago.

AAAAmerican, I'll take the pound of gold, please. No, I don't think it's heavier, I'll just take it.:D

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

Thought they were the same!? There are 4.546092 litres to a UK gallon, but even saying that, the price here is ludicious. I have to really justify a long trip before I go on it! Regards Me P.S I will have the gold as well please so I can book another few vacations, don't think they will accept feathers !! PPS Just found out the UK Gallon is 20% more than a US gallon, wish it was only 20% more expensive!!!

Thought they were the same!? There are 4.546092 litres to a UK gallon, but even saying that, the price here is ludicious. I have to really justify a long trip before I go on it! Regards Me P.S I will have the gold as well please so I can book another few vacations don't think they will accept feathers !!

There are 1.2 US gallons to an imperial (UK) gallon. Therefore our equivalent price per US gallon is £3.25 or $6.10 approx. Most of this price (about 80%) is made up of govt duty and taxes!!! :mad: :mad:

I'm fairly certain that oil prices will rebound anyway, and soon. About 14 months ago I had made a $100 running bet with someone that prices would exceed the $80/BBL mark before Jan 1, 2007, and I'm every bit as confident of that now as I was back then. I think that figure was conservative.

The person I made the bet with is likely to be reading this post, at some point. Poor sucker. :D

quite sure HAL purchases "futures" in bulk including fuel

in addition, IMO the "drop" in fuel you're seeing is in all likelihood temporary

most importantly: prices for cruises are set in advance, well in advance: not only a weekly or monthly basis

you might also want to keep another factor in mind: if you compare the per diem rate charged for a given cruise today vs. the per diem rate 10 years ago for the same cruise (and then adjust for the dollar then vs. the dollar now), the increases have been minimal

will the prices come down? IMHO, not for the forseeable future especially if bookings continue solid and the stock market continues to soar

I for one am more concerned about HAL providing us the same level of service with no substantial cuts in amenities and the dining room

the market, or in reality what's left of the market, will set the rate in any event

Yesterday 87 Octane as we call it Regular.. was at $1.89 in Jersey City, NJ thats in Hudson County, and New Jerseys Third largest City.

Rts US 1 and US ( are one road there ) the station is a Getty which is/uses North Sea Crude. Nice low sulphur like WTI is.. sweet..

It is right across from NYC when on a Cruise ship, ferry or other vessel you can see the Colgate Clock on the shore there.

The old Naval piers (MOTBY) Millitary Ocean Terminal Bayonne, where the Aircraft Carrier Interpid is for repairs and maintaince as well the ships from Celebrity and RCL:NYSE leave from is just south of the Colgate Clock.

Today 87 Octane was closer to the $2.00 price at $1.99.

It does look good for fuel price stability now even with some OPEC members decreasing production to prop up price..

The feathers are the heaviest.. but how many people measure in avoirdupois vs troy?

So yes it like people how they view and weigh things...

I wonder who weighed the new bedding on HALs ships?

Archived