Passport Info ~ Just Received

MikeM

Just received this notice from my TA.

We have Passports. But for those who don't ...Please Check With Your TA to

make sure the info you get from the boards is correct.

Congress approved extending the deadline for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) from Jan. 8, 2007, until June 1, 2009. This means those entering the United States by land or sea from the Western Hemisphere -- Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico -- will not need passports. However, those entering by air will still need passports effective Jan. 8, 2007. "The travel and tourism industry would like to express its gratitude to Senators Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), and Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), as well as Reps. Tom Reynolds (R-N.Y.), John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), and Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.), and many other senators and representatives for their leadership on this issue. This action recognizes the need to provide a common sense extension of the current deadline and to continue our pursuit of the often difficult balance between securing our borders and free and open commerce," said Jonathan Tisch, chairman of the Travel Business Roundtable (TBR) and chairman and CEO of Loews Hotels. The Travel Industry Association of American (TIA) said the industry supports the intent of Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), agreeing that U.S. border security will be enhanced by permitting Customs and Border Protection officers to examine fewer and more secure types of travel documents. The industry also supports a deadline extension because the current government plan does not allow enough time to implement the rules and educate the traveling public of the changes. In addition, the new requirements should provide flexibility for obtaining alternative travel documents that are inexpensive, secure and available to a broad range of travelers both inside and outside the United States. "Just as we have on several other occasions since 9/11, the U.S. travel industry is supporting an initiative (WHTI) that will further secure this nation's citizens and international guests," said Roger Dow, TIA's president and CEO. "Extension of the deadline ensures federal officials can implement this new rule correctly the first time, and this action also provides additional time to fully educate travelers here in the U.S. and neighboring countries on this change of law," said Dow. Travel and tourism organizations around the country have been working with Congress to achieve a fair balance in the WHTI between enhanced homeland security and the continued facilitation of millions of legitimate travelers. This extension will continue the movement toward stronger border security while preserving access for tens of millions of cruise and land border travelers. For more information, visit http://www.tia.org or http://www.tbr.org. NTA's legislative counsel, Jim Santini, said: "A major crisis has been averted at our nation's land borders. This common-sense adoption of a June 1, 2009, deadline ensures that proper security procedures and technologies are in place so that legitimate travel and tourism remains unimpeded. This is a great victory for North American tourism." For more information on NTA's government relations activities, visit http://www.nta.travel. Also, the International Council of Cruise Lines (ICCL) welcomed the extension. Until the extension was passed on Friday, American cruise passengers would have had to carry a U.S. passport on Caribbean, Mexico and Canadian cruises as of Jan. 8. Instead, an economical alternative to the passport, called a PASScard, will be studied for use at sea and land borders. ICCL said standardized documents can simplify the process of border crossing and add to security efforts, but only when implemented in a way that does not discourage commerce or tourism. "Therefore, we were extremely concerned when the [u.S. State Department and Department of Homeland Security] proposed to accelerate the implementation deadline for cruise passengers to Jan. 8, 2007, and to deny cruise passengers eligibility for a low-cost alternative to a passport," ICCL said. The PASS card has been made available for the purpose of international travel by U.S. citizens through land and sea ports of entry between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. This means that the PASS card would be suitable for Caribbean cruise travelers. "The cruise industry applauds Congress' efforts to increase security at our borders but to do so reasonably," said ICCL President J. Michael Crye. "We will continue to work with the government to raise awareness of the requirements and encourage the traveling public to secure proper identification." ICCL strongly supports efforts to increase border security. For more information, visit http://www.iccl.org.

I would have expected by now all the "I would never leave the country without a passport" and "I feel so much more secure with a passport" replies by now. To me we have cruised for twenty years without one and never had a problem.

I don't feel more secure having a passport, i just think it is way more convenient than carring around my DL & BC.

So if this has not passed yet, does anyone know when it expected to be signed??

I already have mine but i have friends that don't.

I would still tell them to get a passport. This im sure is not going to be the only time they will be traveling. Sooner or later everyone is going to need one. Its much easier to renew once you have it. They are also very good for ID at the DMV.

With all the post 9/11 security things they do now that seem to make no sense whatsoever, I'm amazed that they are pushing this off because this one actually makes some sense. We certainly should be taking the simple precaution of checking people's passports at the border to make sure they are legit. The cop with the M-16 assault rifle that I saw today on top of a parking garage in that high profile terrorist target of Albany NY, not so much.

This has been in the works for years now. There is no reason to delay it. If people don't know about it yet, they are the type that will never know about it until the time comes when they actually have to travel out of the country, so this delay won't help them be ready.

I am not sure how a bunch of American tourists on a cruise ship all having their passports makes things more secure. The cruiseline already submits a list of names to Homeland Security to be checked. Don't get me wrong I have a passport and have had one long before 9/11 but this sudden need for everyone to have one for my security puzzles me. Remember every terriost on 9/11 had a valid passport.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/10/04/news/CB_TRV_Caribbean_US_Passport_Requirements.php

NASSAU, Bahamas The Caribbean tourist industry reacted sharply on Wednesday to changes in U.S. rules extending the time that American cruise passengers can travel without their passports — but not those who journey by air.

The changes — signed into law Wednesday by U.S. President George W. Bush — allow U.S. citizens to return from visits to Canada and Mexico, or from cruises throughout the Caribbean, without a passport until June 1, 2009. But the law maintains that air travelers to those areas must carry a passport starting Jan. 8, 2007.

"We have communicated to U.S. government officials all along ... our concern that all sectors and nations be on the same playing field by sharing one implementation date," Earle Bethell, president of the Bahamas Hotel Association, said in a statement. "This action demonstrates an incredible insensitivity to our economies."

Despite the partial deadline extension, Caribbean tourism officials worry about revenue loss because cruise travelers tend to spend less money in a single port than a visitor who traveled to the country by air.

"The cruise industry already enjoys a huge competitive advantage over the hotel sector, not incurring the same costs of operations and taxation levels that we do," Bethell said. "This latest move has widened that competitive advantage which the cruise industry enjoys."

Vincent Vanderpool Wallace, secretary-general of the Barbados-based Caribbean Tourism Organization, said the decision could hinder tourism to the region, which suffered heavy losses in tourism revenues after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"It is incomprehensible that the United States government would approve an amendment that excludes air arrivals from the Caribbean," he said in a statement.

Prior U.S. travel requirements allowed American citizens to go to Canada, Mexico or most Caribbean countries and re-enter the U.S. using a driver's license and birth certificate.

I just went and applied for my passport today.. I dont want to take any chances of not getting on the ship... going on a cruise in Jan 07.. and I cant wait.. not that it is my first.. will be my 5th on Carnival...

With this new change you may not need the passport for sea travel until 2009, but what if you get left behind in a port of call? Or if you have a family emergency and have to fly back to the US from one of your ports of call? With out a passport you aren't going anywhere and you will stay on the cruise until it sails back into the home port. For air travel the passport requirements have not changed and you still need a passport starting this January.

I am not sure how a bunch of American tourists on a cruise ship all having their passports makes things more secure. The cruiseline already submits a list of names to Homeland Security to be checked. Don't get me wrong I have a passport and have had one long before 9/11 but this sudden need for everyone to have one for my security puzzles me. Remember every terriost on 9/11 had a valid passport.

It's to make SURE we ARE all Americans, or whoever we say we are. ONE common type of ID, i.e., a passport, is much easier to check than random-looking birth certificates, driver's licenses, etc.

No one thinks 2x if a bar or liquor store refuses to to serve someone who has a questionable out of state ID - most of those establishments (at least where I come from) even have prominent notices saying they will only serve liquor to people possessing positive ID from this state. They don't want the responsibility of serving someone who might possess a fake ID. Why we expect our border police to be able to check people thru with 50 different state licenses (actually more, since I know Massachusetts constantly updates our licenses there are at least 3 different versions out there for MA) and who knows how many different types of birth certificates, is beyond me.

The delay (and it would only be a DELAY) serves no purpose except to put off having to get a passport now! Everyone will eventually HAVE to get a passport!

Sha

With this new change you may not need the passport for sea travel until 2009, but what if you get left behind in a port of call? Or if you have a family emergency and have to fly back to the US from one of your ports of call? With out a passport you aren't going anywhere and you will stay on the cruise until it sails back into the home port. For air travel the passport requirements have not changed and you still need a passport starting this January.

You make a great point. I guess some people think it could never happen to them. More power to them LOL!

As far as I'm concerned......I made sure everyone we cruise with has a passport. If you think about it... $100.00 sounds pretty cheap compared to maybe having to stay extra days in another country until immigration verifys and approves your departure.

Good point - I don't know what the big deal is! If you wish to travel, get your passport already! I personally DO NOT applaud the congressmen/women who contributed to yet another delay! There is absolutely no reason to delay further - people have already had the deadline extended by one year! Either make them mandatory or lets just drop the whole thing. To keep extending the deadline time after time is just ridiculous!

Well said.

It should not make you feel more secure. But god forbid if something were to happen, it just might be your ticket out of a foreign country ;)

But you know that because as you stated you have had one for many years.

I just checked Carnivals web sight and they have already changed the info. on Passport requirments to June 9,2009 instead of Jan.8,2007. President Bush sighned it into law yesterday. But keep your eye on this because the new PASScards could be rolled out earlier and might be required to have one to cruise even before June 9th,2009

Excellent point; I totally agree.

Please pay attention to the State Department's web site. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

There has been no change in the January deadline as of now, and there is nothing that says the State Department has to change it. If you read the legislative history on the amendment you can see that it was designed to apply to land border crossings between the US and Canada.

It is possible that the January date for cruise passengers will not change (even Carnival's web site admits this with the wording "OR SOONER").

Until you see it on the government web site it is safe to assume that nothing has changed and you still need that passport by January 2007. Please don't let confusion mess up a cruise.

They should have just made the travel industry eat it. People procrastinate... and now they have until 2009 to procrastinate.

They made the wrong decision.

You are exactly right! The ones whining now about having to get one...too expensive, etc....blah blah blah...are going to be the same ones whining in 2009 LOL!

Please pay attention to the State Department's web site. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

There has been no change in the January deadline as of now, and there is nothing that says the State Department has to change it. If you read the legislative history on the amendment you can see that it was designed to apply to land border crossings between the US and Canada.

It is possible that the January date for cruise passengers will not change (even Carnival's web site admits this with the wording "OR SOONER").

Until you see it on the government web site it is safe to assume that nothing has changed and you still need that passport by January 2007. Please don't let confusion mess up a cruise.

I just posted the article from the AP earlier in this thread (see post #11) that states President Bush just signed it into Law yesterday. The state department probably hasn't updated the site yet, but I expect it to be.

I agree that people should seriously consider getting a passport in today's world. I already have mine and don't agree with the extension either...just passing along the info.

I just checked Carnivals web sight and they have already changed the info. on Passport requirments to June 9,2009 instead of Jan.8,2007. President Bush sighned it into law yesterday. But keep your eye on this because the new PASScards could be rolled out earlier and might be required to have one to cruise even before June 9th,2009

Is a PASScard different from a Passport? If we have a passport, will we have to get a PASScard too? :confused:

Archived