Turkey a go?

We are saililng October 30 on Celebrity's Galaxy, scheduled to stop in Istanbul & Ephesus.

Just wondering what the current word is on Turkey and if Celebrity is going there?

Thanks!

Some cruiselines are stopping some are not..I totally suggest you contact Celebrity to find out rather than depend on this board or check the Celebrity CC board to see if anything posted there.

I read several threads on C.C. where a few ships substituted these ports a month or so ago; but have resumed their scheduled itinerary. Unless you have arranged private tours, don't worry about it. Celebrity will do what's best for their ship & passengers' safety. Turkey is no less safe than any other major city in this "new world" we live in. If you're so inclined, check out the forums at http://www.tripadvisor.com. On the Turkey board, they have a "local expert" for Istanbul who uses the screen name "LemonLady". She spends a lot of time there; just returned as a matter of fact. She always posts on the up to the minute "feel" as far as tourists are concerned. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to both places. Turkey is a magical, mystical place full of friendly & hospitable people. Istanbul has turned out to be my favorite place on the planet. I would hate for you to miss it!

Been to both Istanbul and Kusadasi in June of 06, I highly recommend going to Turkey. Sailing up the Bosporus into Istanbul is a sight out of the history books and takes your breath away seeing all the mosques and minerets come into view.Kusadasi is a clean, modern Turkish city you wouldn't believe you were in Turkey and the countryside drive to Ephesus is quite picruresque. Yes....go to Turkey if you can, you'll be surprised.

CIAO,

We just returned from the 11 night cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy. We were supposed to visit the ports of Istanbul and Ephesus in Turkey. The day we were leaving for the cruise, we were notified that the ship was not sailing to Turkey. They substituted Dubrovnik, Croatia and Messina, Sicily. Most of the passengers were not aware of the change until they were on board the ship. It was a true disappointed since I booked this cruise primarily for the Turkey ports.

Now I think you were on the Sept. 4th cruise.

We knew they cancelled the Turkey ports then.

Just read a review from someone on the Sept.25th Galaxy cruise

written on the 26th and saying they were going to Turkey.

You said you were told the day you got on...

Please next time say the date of your cruise

when you post please.

Thanks

Yes, we were on the September 4, 2006 cruise. There were supposed terrorist attacks in Turkey right before we arrived, but nowhere near the ports of Istanbul and Ephesus.

I found out we weren't going to Turkey because the private tour company that I had booked in Istanbul sent me an e-mail asking if I had heard positively that the ship wasn't going to be arriving. I then called Celebrity to get final confirmation.

The Australian government had Turkey as a "no go" a year ago. We went to Spain a week after the Madrid train attack and we were in Manhattan the Friday after 9/11......and yes....we will be in Turkey next week.

Marty

10/24 Brilliance

Istanbul to Barcelona

We are saililng October 30 on Celebrity's Galaxy, scheduled to stop in Istanbul & Ephesus.

Just wondering what the current word is on Turkey and if Celebrity is going there?

Thanks!

I'm wondering about that with our November 20th Galaxy sailing. Our time in Turkey is when the Pope comes for a visit. The Turkish government has said it's preparing for increased attacks during that period. I've been to Turkey and it was a wonderful, amazing place but my husband and kids haven't been and want to go. Wherever we end up is fine with me after all I'm away from home and on vacation.

Eileen

Does anyone know the exact dates of the Pope's visit to Turkey? We are scheduled to stop in Ephesus on Nov 15,2006 while on the Millenium, this could alter our plans for our Celebrity shore excursion.

Ada

Ada,

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=42328 This is the official link for the Pope's visit. Doesn't look like the dates will affect you.

Eileen

Yes, we were on the September 4, 2006 cruise. There were supposed terrorist attacks in Turkey right before we arrived, but nowhere near the ports of Istanbul and Ephesus.

I found out we weren't going to Turkey because the private tour company that I had booked in Istanbul sent me an e-mail asking if I had heard positively that the ship wasn't going to be arriving. I then called Celebrity to get final confirmation.

The attacks were real, (posted this earlier, but seems to have been removed) not supposed, see Australian travel advice web site.

Cruise companies will not put clients at risk, so will alter ports as the risk rises. We are booked on a cruise to Turkey next April and we will go, however it is better to be forewarned then you can be alert.

We just went to Kusadasi on Noordham Sept 13th and we used Meander Travel WWW.meandertravel.com which was recommended on a cruise critic board and we were so pleased with the tour. It was half what the ship charged and we had contol over our schedule. We also went to the Virgin Marys house as well as Ephesis. Then we were taken to lunch and to a carpet makeing demonstaration. Great day and tour and Meander travel is big and reliable in Kusadasi. Our tour guide was an archeologist from Ephasis and was so great. He explained that the trouble in Turkey was not directed at Americans and he really felt that the threat was overblown. We didn't feel worried at all and will go back to spend a lot more time in Turkey seeing more of the country.I hope you get to go and I hope you look up Meander Travel instead of the ships crowded, expensive and too shorts tour.

Kruisenkel

We just got back from Turkey after spending a day in Izmir and 6 days in Istanbul - the former was a stop on the cruise which ended in Istanbul.

Turkey is wonderful and was the highlight of a three week vacation. It is safe, clean with friendly people and great food - and Istanbul was awesome.

Archived