St. Maarten & Grand Turks Excursions

Kim "Jazz Diva"

Hello,

Could anybody please elaborate - from the lay-cruiser's point of view - the most fun excursions or must-sees for these two ports? Our HAL Zuiderdam cruise Jan 20 - 27 just switched itins from W. to E. Caribbean and I'm scrambling to find snorkeling - sight-seeing - cultural experiences - great views - maybe some shopping.

Also is it better to book excursions in advance (recc please?) as I did for Stingray City in Cayman, or to book on the ship?

AND: Is the water temp in Jan. in Turks & Caicos and St. Maarten considered wetsuit weather for the waters?

All advice appreciated. This will be our first time there. Excited!

(Yes, I have perused the HAL excursion listings for both ports)

Thanks!

The water is warm enough year round in the eastern Carrib. --no wet suit req'd.

Disadvantage to booking shorex in advance--they charge your VISA.But if you don't it can sell out.

Refer to current CC article about crowding in St.Maarten--check to see how many boats in town. My recollection is choice of 2 things:

a)shopping(prices lower than St. Tom) b) topless beach --o ya- also c)tour the island.

Hi, has anybody been to the famous Maho Beach for plane spotting?

Who knows how to get there and is it worth to do? And as a last question, is it true that the sand has been washed out of the beach recently?

Rosa and Robert from Austria who will be there after Christmas

RobertQM2,

I was at Maho beach this past June to watch the planes. It was about half hour taxi ride from the pier. I didn't pay for the taxi so I don't know how much it costs per person, etc. There was not much depth to the beach. There was a bar/restaurant right there at the end of the runway that had the landing times posted on a big surf board so you'd know which planes were supposed to land. The majority of the BIG planes come in around 1:30 - 2:30. The bar/restaurant had several items to choose from to eat and the usual alcoholic choices. The ride over and back was very interesting and at times scenic. I don't know what time of day you will be in St. Maarten. Just make sure that you leave enough time to get back to the ship. The afternoon traffic to get back to the pier area can be quite heavy. Hope this helps.

tootiesmom

Thank you so much for all the advice. It seems that it is getting even harder now to decide. On one hand I like sailing and won't miss a ride on an Americas Cup Racer on the other hand I like plane spotting and thats the best place in the world to do.

Lets see who'll be the winner.

All the best from Austria

Archived