What do most people prefer?

DeRon

I've never been on an Alaska cruise but am sure I would prefer the Caribbean which I've done (Eastern). DH and I will watch the travel channel on cruises to Alaska and shake our heads as to why anyone would want to bundle up on deck and look at glaciers. I associate cruising with palm trees, steel drum music and heat--- that is the draw for me. Having said that, I live in the great Northwest and am surrounded by that kind of snowcapped mountain, evergreen kind of beauty. Recently, we were watching a special on Alaska and my DD14 walked in and said she would absolutely love to do a cruise there and see whales, glaciers etc.!! So, I'm thinking I'll take her on one for her 16th birthday but DH said he'd sit it out!

Jenn

Both have their great points, but why are you limiting the choices to just these two locations?. I've not cruise the Caribbean, but have been to the Bahamas on a cruise, pretty close. I've also cruised Hawaii a couple of times and have to say you can hardly beat that.

Alaska was truly magnificent. Seeing the glaciers in person is far different than any picture or video can capture. There is the smell in the air and the sound of the glacier calving that is so awesome.

So, to compare is like apples and oranges.

I do have to say, however, a Caribbean cruise does not appeal to me as much as other cruises. I read about all the ships in port and the crowds, I live close to beautiful beaches already, I'm not a vacation shopper. So, I cruise for the scenery and atmosphere. My next cruise is to the Mexican Riviera and my dream cruises for the future are the Med and Tahiti.

There are definitely more than two choices.

I agree with the apples and oranges concept.

That being said, I like oranges better! I am a water person and love swimming and snorkeling in the Caribbean. I grew up on Seattle, so I have been able to see a lot of the scenery in that part of the world.

Would I go on an Alaska cruise? Yes, I might, but I PREFER a Caribbean cruise.

Might I change my mind and decide that I like apples better if I tried the Alaska Cruise? Maybe! Who knows; I guess I should try one sometime!

So, I guess I really shouldn't haven't given my 2cents?

Is there a cruise I wouldn't go on? Nope!

I want to be warm and tanned at the end of a vacation! Caribbean, because of the weather! Alaska is beautiful, but the whole trip is more "excursion-like" than I feel a vacation should be!

Are all Alasla cruises cold? Even in the summer? No laying around the pool, etc?

Caribbean..

Im a warm weather person, I dont like to be cold. When I cruise it is to relax and lay in the sun and have frozen umbrella drinks. I love the waters of the Caribbean, the warm breezes blowing off the water, the islands.

We have done the Caribbean many times so we are doing Alaska next year. We know that the weather is very changeable and it will not be the same type of experience as a warm weather cruise but we want to do something different. I have read all the raves for the Alaska cruise so I can't wait to experience it for myself. As far as swimming and such the Serenade had a covered solarium.

My first Caribbean cruise (western) is coming up in a couple of months, but I'm fairly certain I'll greatly prefer cruising the Inside Passage over cruising the Caribbean. I really prefer scenic cruising and there is nothing like seeing whales, snow-capped mountains, glaciers, and fjords during the long daylight hours from a balcony on the cruise ship.

We have done both...(apples and oranges is a good analagy)

I love the beach and warm sunny weather, the incredible blue water of the Caribbean...however on most sea days thats what you see...water.

On the Alsakan cruise, it was very different...the scenery changed constantly...and the water color Ive never seen anything that shade before (has to do with the silt from the glaciers) The excursions are truely once in a lifetime things and it just has a whold different feel to the experince...and for me that may be the key...The Caribbean Cruises are vacations..The Alaska Cruise was an Experince!

My teenage daughters went with us, and my 17 yo summed it up , while we were bundled up standing on deck drinking hot chocolate at HubbardGlacier she said 'ya know, Mama, I feel very privlaged to get to be here and see all this...lots of people cruise to the islands and Mexico...but comparitivly, not mamy people get to see how beautiful this is in person" ... (out of the mouths of babes:D )

There is a link to my Alaskan Pics on my sig...if you'd like to check them out.:)

When we cruised Alaska, in August, we had 2 days of rain, Ketchikan and Juneau, but it was not what I would call cold (60's) and it was not a downpour all day, just sporadic. Our day at the glacier was a bit chilly, but I enjoy a bit of cold.

All other days were in the high 70's and yes, we did see quite a few kids in the pool (brrr!). Thank goodness we were on a ship with an adult pool/spa area, we spent quite a bit of time there!

Are these the only options?

Well then of course Alaska with Caribbean being far far off from being second.

There are just soo many other options around the world that are soo much more interesting:

Hawaii

South America

Panama Canal

Iceland

Greenland

Australia

New Zealand

South Sea

Antarctica

Mediterranean

Baltics

Africa

This list is not sorted in any way, just a few places that comes to my mind first before even thinking about going Caribbean

We are originally from Upstate New York (Near Syracuse). We used to love the Caribbean because we would go during the winter and it got us out of the snow, ice etc. Now we live in Florida.

We still go to the Caribbean, but now for different reasons. We are retired and it's easy for us to get to the ports in Florida where we live. Last year we went to Alaska and loved it. It kind of reminded me of New York, even though we went in May. (By May upstate it's starting to be beautiful and of course there are no glaciers.) My husband loved the cooler temps and we both loved the glaciers, the train in Skagway, the friends we met on a Caribbean cruise who live in Juneau and took us on a private tour, as well as all the glorious scenery.

The big difference is the cost of going on the Alaska cruises. The cabin is probably double what we would spend in the Caribbean. The airfare is expensive too. It's more than we would have paid to go from upstate NY to San Juan. Having said that, we are going on a b2b next May, which will give us some of the west coast of the US and then Alaska. We feel we are getting a lot from this trip as we haven't really been to the ports the first week is taking us and only paying one set of airfare.

Whichever you choose, I am sure it will be a great cruise.

It depends when you want to cruise and what you enjoy doing. I live in NY and like to cruise in the winter to escape the cold. Also, I love the beach (live 5 minutes from the ocean and the expansive beaches of Long Island). So, cruising to the Caribbean is just heaven to me, especially in February!

I don't like to go on vacation in the summer -- because it is so beautiful here at that time of year -- so I'm not anxious to go to Alaska yet.

When I move from NY to FL -- whenever that may be -- I can see that I will want to escape the summer heat and the take an Alaskan cruise.

My cousin, who lives in FL, went on an Alaskan cruise in June and absolutely loved it. Then again, she took a helicopter ride over a glacier and I would never do that. My parents also loved their Alaskan cruise, but they are thrilled watching animals and birds all day -- would never spend more than 10 minutes at a beach.

Just depends what rocks your boat!

My .02...I never cared to see Alaska. The thougth of it did nothing for me. However, after spending one month in the spring there years ago, I can tell you that there is a reason that cruising and travel is so popular there! When we flew in, (you'll think I'm nuts) I litterally cried from the air, as the sights were more than awesome! I saw winter turn to summer in a few weeks. (sort of)

You have to be much more eloquent than I am able to "explain" Alaska!

This being said, I also jump on the "apples to oranges" comparison. They are just so different. But both should be experienced!

Although I feel everyone should see Alaska, I love the warmth of the Caribbean, I do go there more often.

I've never been on an Alaska cruise but am sure I would prefer the Caribbean which I've done (Eastern). DH and I will watch the travel channel on cruises to Alaska and shake our heads as to why anyone would want to bundle up on deck and look at glaciers. I associate cruising with palm trees, steel drum music and heat--- that is the draw for me. Having said that, I live in the great Northwest and am surrounded by that kind of snowcapped mountain, evergreen kind of beauty. Recently, we were watching a special on Alaska and my DD14 walked in and said she would absolutely love to do a cruise there and see whales, glaciers etc.!! So, I'm thinking I'll take her on one for her 16th birthday but DH said he'd sit it out!

Jenn

Having done both, I would not hesitate to go back to Alaska, and in fact will one day after I have finished exploring the world. The caribbean is ok to me in the cooler months but after being down there this June I would never go back again after april. It is way to hot for me and I am not a sun person, I do not believe in aging my skin any sooner than it does by itself. :eek:

Alaska is very beautiful and fascinating. As for me we have travelled all over, Hawaii, Panama canal and next up Mediterranean, after that maybe the fjords. Life is to short to limit choices:D

Alaska is very beautiful and fascinating. As for me we have travelled all over, Hawaii, Panama canal and next up Mediterranean, after that maybe the fjords. Life is to short to limit choices:D

I am trying to decide between Alask cruise (never been there), caribbean (done many), and just going to a resort in Hawaii. This will be our 25th anniversary, and we went to Hawaii on our honeymoon (never been back). What do you think is the best and most romantic? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Archived