Still a Dutch Night in the dining room?

Little Feet

I can recall a pea soup.....and an entree of duck breast (which I ordered and found awful). I can't remember the stuff I did not want except the pea soup. This was the only night of the cruise that I did not want anything on the menu.......just nothing was appetizing. I did get a salad that night.....so my meal was salad and a chocolate tulip.

Well you know England as we now know it was fouded by the Dutch (KING) William of Orange...

Now they have a Queen still which is actually German with a husband from Greece.. and the culinary skills are not much of a thrill..

The Dutch are not well known for the culinary skills in the South of Hooland you have the French skills and in the East the German .. the combination makes a very eclectic mixture... hearty fried/baked foods with sauces and plenty of potatoes...

Frites are wonderful in different dipping sauces.. thats maybe where the French gained an advantage.. Tomato Sauce (Ketchup) and Egg sauce oil.. (Mayonaise) and Mustard...yummmm thats part of heaven in Flanders...

The Dutch High Tea on HAL ships is wonderful as well Fish Dishes.. Sea food..

Ask if your Chocolate is Dutched too..

On our couple of cruises Dutch night was there. -- No hats -- just the menu.

Things like Dutch pea soup, Nasi Goreng, Dover Sole. I don't remember the Dutch Tulip being served any more -- could be wrong.

But someone just a couple of days ago posted the menus for 7 day cruises and another person posted menus for 10 day cruises. The threads are not that far away.

Been a few years since we've sailed on HAL......and I was wondering if they still have "Dutch Night"? It was my least favorite menu....only liked the chocolate tulip for dessert.

No hats on the Noordam June 10 > 20, but there were some Dutch entrees one night. Don't remember if they even called it "Dutch night"

No hats on the Noordam June 10 > 20, but there were some Dutch entrees one night. Don't remember if they even called it "Dutch night"
We had dutch night with the hats and Dover sole and the rest of those traditional dishes on the Noordam, 8/19/06 and Prinsendam 8/30/06.

On our Alaska Zuiderdam cruise July 8-15, we did not have a Dutch night, but pea soup was on the menu the night before and the day after the dover sole (which they deboned right before my eyes - yuk). No dutch hats (I was hoping they would do that). We had the royal dutch tea. No big deal, just a few dainties and tea.

Looks to me like the "traditional" Dutch night is now a kinda hit and miss on HAL. Some ships will have it, some won't anymore, some will have variations and/or combinations of the menu. Dutch Night used to mean typical Dutch food including "erwten soep" (green pea soup with ham hocks) or "kippen soep met vermicelli" (chickensoup with noodles), "Hutspot met klapstuk" (Hodgepodge with brisket of beef), "gebakken scholfilets" (filet of sole), "echt Hollandse gehaktbal" (classic Dutch meatball), "Bossche bollen" (egg-rich cream puffs), and, yes the "chocolade tulp" (chocolate tulip). Indonesian food like Nasi and Bami Goreng, Sate Ayam, Krupuk, etc have been more or less "adopted" into the Dutch "cuisine"

They topped it off with the aforementioned Dutch "his and her" hats for the pax (that you could keep), A Dutch flag was posted at the entrance to the Dining room with a lot of red, white and blue on the tables. The wait staff was dressed in Dutch look-a-like costumes but without wooden shoes;)

We had dutch night with the hats and Dover sole and the rest of those traditional dishes on the Noordam, 8/19/06 and Prinsendam 8/30/06.

Out waiter in June told us "we don't do the hats anymore"!! Maybe they were temporarily out of them, or maybe enough people wanted them "reinstated". :)

Hi

AAAAmerican I had a lot of fun reading your thread. I was born and raised in Holland and we do have a Queen she isn't German her father was German but her mother was Dutch and her husband who passed away a couple of years isn't from greece he is German too. Her son who is going to be king in a couple of years is married with a Girl from Argentina who is very populair in Holland.

So cleared that up hahahaha

Ciska

Hi

AAAAmerican I had a lot of fun reading your thread. I was born and raised in Holland and we do have a Queen she isn't German her father was German but her mother was Dutch and her husband who passed away a couple of years isn't from greece he is German too. Her son who is going to be king in a couple of years is married with a Girl from Argentina who is very populair in Holland.

So cleared that up hahahaha

Ciska

Goeie morgen Ciska, Hoe gaat het?

I'm pretty sure, he's taking about Phillip, the Duke, who had a Greek father. It's not always that easy to tell:rolleyes:

Well, I hear folks say that Dutch night and Caribbean night are their least favorite nights and I kind of tend to agree. Both are alive and well at least in the 10 day menus. I always take take opportunity to ask the waiter what they recommend and just go with it and try something new. Last cruise he recommended the jerk chicken and it was Excellent and something I would have overlooked. This year I already am excited to go for the Dover Sole, deboning and all.

But I know most people are trying to decide which night to go to the Pinnacle, I look at the ports and decide which night I will not be too tired or maybe which night I might need a different dining time from the one I have in the dining room and go to Pinnacle that night. If there is something on the dining room menu I want to try on my PG night, I may order it through room service or go to the Lido and just have an appetizer before the PG.

Mainly with all these good choices, I just have to keep promenading.

I think we had dutch night on our Volendam Alaska cruise last month.

As for the food. Like the rest of the trip it was different than what I usually had at home. I had an Indonesian entree and was happy with it.

The only meals i was slightly dissapointed in the whole trip was anything that had beef in it.

But i'm biased in how my beef is slaughtered, hung and cooked. We buy a 1/2 cow every 8 months.

As for all the silliness of dutch night. My wife was entertained and after my second glass of wine I started to enjoy it as well.

We had Hats on the Chefs night. But this might be what I'm referring to as dutch night.

I mine wouldn't stay on because my head is too freakin huge.

I don't know. I think before I post anything more about the trip I should aske my wife to see if i'm remembering it properly.

Funny!:D :D You would definitely get a "reaction" ;)

OK So I don't speak or spell Dutch. :D I did make the (sp) thingy so you'd know I knew it was incorrect! I can speak 5 or 6 languages but just the easy ones. Not fluently on all but enough to be understood. I will be certain to pronounce it correctly so I don't offend. ;)

OK So I don't speak or spell Dutch. :D I did make the (sp) thingy so you'd know I knew it was incorrect! I can speak 5 or 6 languages but just the easy ones. Not fluently on all but enough to be understood. I will be certain to pronounce it correctly so I don't offend. ;)

No biggie, no way for you to know and like I said, actually pretty funny;) They're used a lot in Holland as derogatory names. You might even know the Indonesian equivalent;)

Archived