Underwater camera for $100, is this possible?

Choozin Croozin

I have used the disposables in the past with some good shots, but mostly duds. We go snorkeling maybe every other year so don't want to invest alot. My digital does not have a waterproof casing available and I am happy with it's performance, so don't really want to purchase another one. Is it possible to find a decent (better than disposable) uw camera for $100 or less. I have seen some different brands on ebay and wondered if any of these are any good. I have read alot of threads here when I did a search, but haven't found any information yet. Thanks for your help.

Anybody know anything about the JAZZ 1.3 mp 3 in 1 uw camera?

not exactly what you're looking for (disclaimer:D) but if you cruise and you want to zoom, use tripod for family shots on the island and use for touring. I bought an overpriced cannon power shot s1 IS 3.2 meg. pix with 10X zoom. then bought the underwater case. - a wp-dc20. this is more economical now that prices have dropped.

when we cruise, a majority of our shots off boat are zoom and undewater. . If you'd like pics e-mail me. while not in you price range.... consider if you plan to keep cruising... we've an upclose candid shot pocket cannon and this one ... that never missed an underwater or zoom/stitch shot.

again abit off your $$ range, but as american express says... our vacation photo's are .... dun.. dun da.... priceless:D

sorry, it's a worthy yet pricey alternative.

carol

If you're interested, I have a Reefmaster SL511 film camera w/ underwater housing like these http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sea+and+sea+SL511&hl=en&btnG=Search

I'm willing to part with it for $75+shipping (should be less than $10). It was used on a few (less than three) snorkle trips and is in great shape. If you're interested, email me at przeor@yahoo.com And yes, it takes good pictures, great for snorkeling!

I liked it and got good pics with it. I can extend the offer your way if it would help save you some cash. You can check my ebay id przeorinc for referrals or my scubaboard.com user name is booth22 as well for a trader rating. You wouldn't be able to tell my camera new from used, and I can send anyone interested pictures when I get back in town next week. booth!

• 1 month later...

Maybe with used or dated equipment on Ebay? I bought a case for my older Minolta Dimage Xi last year for $65 on ebay, and looking today I see some dimage x (2mp) and xi (3mp) cameras going for close to $50. While I don't see any marine case listed right now you never know when one will come up. Perhaps you can look for other 2mp or similar cameras that are 3 or 4 years old that had marine cases available on ebay and also look for the cases. I know Canon had a few models as did some of the other popular brands.

I bought the Pentax W20 7 MP. Yes it was costly over $300-, but when you figure out how many underwater cameras I have purchased and then had to develop over the last two years, I say it was well worth the investment and the pictures are beautiful both in and out of the water.

• 6 months later...
I liked it and got good pics with it. I can extend the offer your way if it would help save you some cash. You can check my ebay id przeorinc for referrals or my scubaboard.com user name is booth22 as well for a trader rating. You wouldn't be able to tell my camera new from used, and I can send anyone interested pictures when I get back in town next week. booth!

Great UW Pics....Thanks

Certainly you should be able to get some used Reefmaster 35mm film cameras for under 100 on E-bay. My son and I have a couple we use for casual diving photography and they are fine. Your only concern there will be keeping the o-ring seals clean since inattention will lead to flooding.

BTW, the secret to UW photography is not really skill, but taking lots of pictures - saving the best and tossing the rest. Do lots of practice shots since you are not looking through the lens like an SLR and need to get a feel for the difference between what you see in lining up shots and what your camera sees.

BTW, I'm a PADI U/W Photographer as is my 12 year old kiddo.

I have used the disposables in the past with some good shots' date=' but mostly duds. We go snorkeling maybe every other year so don't want to invest alot. My digital does not have a waterproof casing available and I am happy with it's performance, so don't really want to purchase another one. Is it possible to find a decent (better than disposable) uw camera for $100 or less. I have seen some different brands on ebay and wondered if any of these are any good. I have read alot of threads here when I did a search, but haven't found any information yet. Thanks for your help.

Anybody know anything about the JAZZ 1.3 mp 3 in 1 uw camera?[/quote']

I bought the Olympus SW770 from Beachcamera.com. I used it on land, snorkeling & discover scuba earlier this month. It worked wonderfully! Everyone was amazed when we just 'jumped in' holding our digital camera!

If I can figure out how to get pics from our laptop to my home computer, I'll try to post some links to some.

Archived