My upcoming cruise is 3months one week away, I have a question??

I have a Canon digital camera, it has a big card, but of course the more you put on it the slower the camera gets.

What do you use, other than a laptop (can't afford that for this cruise)to store your pictures?? I know about burning a CD in the photo shop, but do I trust that they all went on there and work....not knowing until I get home to find out I now have nothing for pictures??? (too scary for me)

I seen some people use an I-pod? How does this work?? anything else you use to take the photos off the camera just to store until I get home and can print them......also I do some video clips on it with sound if that makes a difference?????

Thanks for your help,

Why don't you get an addtional memory card, you can buy them relatively cheap at Best buy, circuit city, etc. or online, just look at the the exact type that you need or bring your camera with you to the store.

This way you can view the pictures on your camera and don't have to worry about losing them at transfer.

I got a 1gb card at Best buy for 35-40$ and it has room for a ton of pictures.

Sue L: Thanks I thought about that too....but my problem is that as the card fills up it slows down the reaction time of the camera. So no matter how many cards I have they will all do the same thing, I am wondering how I can safely take them off the card each night so my camera is faster and ready to go for the next day!!! I do have 4 cards at home between the 2 digitals at home!!

Any other thoughts????

well I supose I could do that, KandMGIn!!!! Never thought of it that way?? Use my 2 smaller cards on day 1 and day 5 and use my 2 larger ones on the days in between!!! Thankfully in this case, I am only on a 4 nighter!!

But now what about the Alaska trip I hope to take in 08????

I put my pics on my iPod, but I need my laptop to do it. If there's another way, like from the camera to the iPod directly, I've never heard of it.

I had a 1GB card in my camera on Freedom last week, and i took over 400 pics and my camera never slowed down!! That's weird. I would just buy another card & be done with it. It's the most portable option and obviously VERY easy to carry around. lol

A digital camera should not slow down as the card fills up. The amount of space left on the card has no relationship to the speed of the camera or the speed of writing pictures to the memory card.

I would do as other have suggested, either buy additional memory cards or use the ships computers to transfer the photos to another media such as a thumb drive or portable hard drive.

Thanks everyone!!!!

ChristieNJ: I don't know how to get them to an Ipod, but would think a computer of some kind is needed!! I think more cards are the way to go!!

wingnutphl: I use rechargeable batteries, I charge them quiet often and was going to buy a new set for the cruise!! I hope that helps me some??!!

jcgamecock: I was wondering how that would work....so do I need to "buy" computer time to do that??

cruzevirgins: I wouldn't think so either, but it does?? The first handful on an empty card and it works quick......more that is on there the more it seems to slow down and think about each photo???

Maybe I am doing something wrong?? I am not the best with technology!!

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

well I supose I could do that, KandMGIn!!!! Never thought of it that way?? Use my 2 smaller cards on day 1 and day 5 and use my 2 larger ones on the days in between!!! Thankfully in this case, I am only on a 4 nighter!!

But now what about the Alaska trip I hope to take in 08????

It might be time to ask Santa for a new camera! I don't know which model you have but I used to have an older canon and it had very slow refresh time. I recently bought the canon sd5oo and the refresh rate is like a second and the battery lasts for a really long time.

Do you have ni cad battery (square type) or are they rechargable like aa's or similiar. The aa type does drain faster and and will slow down the camera as it drains.

Not sure what ports you are going to but St Thomas had great deals and they had really good deals right on the ship.

Sue

Yeah, you'd need to buy some time, but not very much. 2 minutes if the computer has multiple USB connections, 5 minutes if it has only one. I think it's $.50 per minute, you can also buy packages of minutes that cost less per minute.

You can buy a 2GB thumb drive for less than $50. Our camera averages ~900kB per photo, so you're talking over 2,000 pics. Doubt you'll take that many :cool:

All points taken!!! Thanks everyone for all your help, I very much appreciate it!! I am hoping to figure out something.....maybe I will look for different batt.???? I have AA Kodak ones now, rechargeable and made for digital cameras!!???!!! I don't know what it's problem is?? I will work on it over the holidays and maybe take my bonus and buy a new set up??!!:p

Thanks again!!!!

I know that a number of Carnival ships offer a service to transfer digital images to cd. I gather from the chart at the bottom of http://www.image.com/html/rci_groups.html that a similar service is offered on some RCI ships. You'll want to confirm that your ship is on the list. A phone call or email might be prudent.

The only time my digital camera slows down is when I have it set to the maximum resolution and try to take another photo right after the one I just took. It warns me by displaying a "still writing to memory" notice on the viewer. Other than that, the capture and processing speed is consistent and based only on the resolution chosen...never the amount of information perviously written to the card. I honestly have never heard of a card slowing down as it gets filled. My guess is there is a user option that is affecting this, but darned if I could wager a guess what it might be.

Last year, the day after Thanksgiving, the office supply stores had 512 cards very cheap. I hate shopping but the places like Office Depot and Office Max and Staples are not busy on this day because everyone else is going crazy at the malls and best buy etc. Had some great deals. You may want to check them out this year. We purchased 4 additional cards so we could switch to a new card each day. That way if something happened to the card or the camera, we would not loose all of the pictures. Hope this helps!:D

While we're on this topic:

I cannot believe how cheap memory cards have gotten!?! Before I left for my Mediterranean cruise I paid $29.00 for an extra 128mb just in case and then purchased one in Croatia (had to:( no more room) a 512mb $50.00 (same everywhere in Europe at the time) . That was in May of this year! Sheesh....they are almost free now it's unbelievable...now I've got a bunch of 128mb everywhere when I can get a 1GB for under $40.00. This is a good thing, I'm just flabbergasted at the price drop...heh.

Also for the Ipod, they just came out with something that allows you to transfer from the camera directly to the Ipod but it's like $60.00. If I buy anymore accessories for my Ipod it'll be a bigger investment than my house! :eek: :D

Laura

Archived