Star Review 9/24-10/05 Repo & Mexico

jbwinvan

When my wife and I, 46 and 48 respectfully, arrived at Canada Place on Sunday the 24th we had a pretty good idea of what was in store for us. This was our first cruise, so I had done a lot of research on the net, including this site, so we were pretty well prepared. I would like to thank all who answered my questions and offered sugestions as it helped make our cruise what it was.

The embarkation went pretty smoothly for us as it took a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time we arrived curbside at the pier to the time we stepped on board the Star. The ship was everything we expected. If you study the deck layout before your cruise you should have no problem getting around. Yes, the ship is big but we sailed with a full compliment of passengers from Vancouver to L.A. so it didn't seem overwhelming. Sailing under the Lions Gate Bridge at night was pretty cool, and the funny thing was, as soon as we went under the bridge and everyone finished hooting and hollering it was if ' OK, the shows over time for bed ' because the ship seemed to become very quite very quickly.

We had an aft BA cabin and it was great. We were on deck 10 so we had the large balcony and used it a lot. The cabin was well laid out and had plenty of room for the 2 of us. Our stewards were Cesar and Jennilee and they were great. We had an elephant, a bunny, an alligator and a monkey as towel animals in our 11 days. It took a while to get used to the motion and all the unusual little noises when trying to sleep. The first night we both had a terrible nights sleep but it got better as the cruise progressed and by the last couple of nights we both slept fine. We did not get the egg crate foam added to the bed as it was comfortable enough without it, and DW brought her own pillow from home, as she always does, and I used the regular pillows, not the down ones, and they were fine as well.

We ate most of our meals in Versailles but we also ate in the Market Cafe buffet (all 3 meals), the Blue Lagoon (for lunch, dinner and snacks), the poolside grill (for breakfast and lunch), and had dinner at Aqua, La Trattoria, Endless Summer, Cagney's and Le Bistro. The food was what can be expected when you consider that they are cooking for over 2000 guests as well as the crew. Some meals were excellent, while others were just OK. At no time did we go hungry as there was always something on the menu that appealed. We definately ate and drank to our hearts content (yes they had the beer helmets - 6 for 5).

The weather was great for the most part except the 2nd day when we were off the Oregon and northern California coast when we had a full day of fog. Also the last day from Cabo to L.A. was sunny but really, really windy. Other than that there was nothing but sunshine. Acapulco was a little muggy but it got better the further north we went.

For excursions we just rode the little red train in San Pedro and went to the aquarium and then rode the train to the various stops and got off and walked around then back onto the train. In Acapulco we hired a cab for the day and went to see the cliff divers then drove all around the city and did some sight seeing and shopping. Acapulco is a big city and we have no desire to go back there again. Not that there was anything bad with our experiance there, it is just that it is a big city and not what we like to see in Mexico. In Zhiautanejo we walked around the town for a bit and then caught a water taxi over to Las Gatas and spent the day there and had the best time. We met a great couple, John and Sandra from Australia, and had beers and quesadillias at one of the restaurants that line the beach from one end all the way to the other. We played around in the crystal clear water until it was time to head back to the ship. We would definately go back to Zhiua. In Puerto Vallarta we did the Outdoor Adventure tour through the ship and it was fantastic! Took a Unimog through the city and then into the country where it was really needed. Then it was a mule ride and zip lines and rappeling down beside a water fall then zipline into a pool of water and walking on rope bridges. It was a great day and a tour we would highly recommend! The tour took up pretty much the whole day so we didn't get to see any of PV except what we drove through. In Cabo we did the Sail and Snorkle to Santa Maria Cove through the ship and again had a great day. Met up with Mary from Minnesota on the catamaran and had a great time all the way out and back. Again a tour we would recommend! We had a little time after the tour and we walked around the marina area and through the market by the dock. We would definately return to Cabo.

The entertainment was above average when compared to the all inclusives that we have been to. It was not Broadway caliber but then again we were not on Broadway but a ship. We saw 3 of the Jean Ryan shows and they were all pretty good. The juggler was OK, the magician/comedian was pretty good and Second City was pretty funny. Bingo was expensive but that didn't stop us from playing 3 times. We went to some of the stretching classes in the morning, went to spinning and ran 3 miles(12 laps) around deck 12 on 3 mornings. The gym was used extensively by some people as it always seemed to be pretty full. Sandra,(or was it Sharon) was the CD for the repo from Vancouver to L.A. and then Simon took over for the Mexico Riviera portion and what a differance. Simon was great and Sandra,(or was it Sharon) was hardly noticable to me.

We had the anniversary package and felt that it was a good deal as well as a bar set-up. All in all we had a really good time. However, that being said, this will probably be our last cruise. We like to experience differant things and places on our holidays and now that we have done a cruise we can check that one off our list and move on. As I said we had a really good time and had a truly memorable experiance and I want to make sure that you all understand that. We seemed to have better days in the ports on excursions when mixed in with the night on the ship when compared to a full day at sea on the ship with no port of call.

Once again thank you to all of the people that helped make this cruise great with all your tips and answers to questions that all of us first timers have. In summary, we had a great time on the Star and would recommend it to anyone as a first time cruise.

Thanks

JBW

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We also are first time cruisers that will be on the Star in a little over a week. And I could not agree more with you about the help and information that I have received on this board.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip And once again thanks for posting.

"We had an aft BA cabin and it was great. We were on deck 10 so we had the large balcony and used it a lot. The cabin was well laid out and had plenty of room for the 2 of us. Our stewards were Cesar and Jennilee and they were great. We had an elephant, a bunny, an alligator and a monkey as towel animals in our 11 days. It took a while to get used to the motion and all the unusual little noises when trying to sleep. The first night we both had a terrible nights sleep but it got better as the cruise progressed and by the last couple of nights we both slept fine. We did not get the egg crate foam added to the bed as it was comfortable enough without it, and DW brought her own pillow from home, as she always does, and I used the regular pillows, not the down ones, and they were fine as well."

How was your aft cabin. Considering an aft for our next cruise and some have said the noise was considerble. How did you find the noise level being at the end?

Nancy

HI JBW -

We were your neighbors a couple of cabins over on 10 aft for the Vancouver to LA portion of the trip and you sure are right about the quieting down after leaving the bridge...did you hear our blasting sailaway music, selections from "Margaritaville Cafe"? :D DH made me turn it off after 11.

I think Cesar and Jenilee were the friendliest cabin attendants ever and, we too, were surprised with a towel menagerie more than on any other cruise.

Even though it wasn't our first cruise, we had trouble sleeping, too, as it was our first time aft, and the wake noise and the swaying motion was a little unpleasant until we got accustomed to it. After that, any cruise is a good cruise.

Sharon has now retired, I believe, to join her husband on the Pearl.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your voyage on the Star, she's our favorite, we plan to go for the fourth time in January.

JBW, thanks for an excellent review! It made me even more anxious to get back on that beautiful ship and head to the Mexican Riviera.

Sharon has now retired, I believe, to join her husband on the Pearl.
We had the same impression as JBW did of Sharon. She was the CD aboard the Sun during the summer. Laurel, has she really retired, or just taking a break?

How was your aft cabin. Considering an aft for our next cruise and some have said the noise was considerble. How did you find the noise level being at the end?Nancy
Nancy, we had one of the aft minisuites on the Sun in May, and we loved it so much that we immediately booked an aft BA on the Star. The views are awesome, and you are protected from the wind when you're sitting on your balcony. We loved the sound of the wake when sleeping, and we also like being rocked to sleep. We like the very front of the ships or the very back.

I got the distinct impression that Sharon is retiring when we spoke....they want to start a family :D. ..should be some gorgeous children, too.

We usually stay up front, the aft was new to us and I don't think we'll do it again. The front rocking is like mother's arms, the back is like being thrown around. Just my read.......

We had the deck 10 corner, the deck was nice and large, space for two chaises and a small table. The balcony also wraps around, but there is a divider door that has to be opened.

The balconies below have a continuous deck, and the balconies are smaller.

The room is quite nice, nicer in fact than the front AC suite, with a full window and a lovely view of where you've been.

We really liked being at the back of the ship in our aft cabin. We didn't have any problem with the wake noise while sleeping and it was only noticable when the balcony door was open, and then it was nice to hear. The only extra noise we heard was about at 2:00 am when some type of rolloing cart would go by above us in the spa, which does charge for the use of the pools. And yes there is a lot less wind back there. Other than that the noises I was referring to were the standard creaks and groans of the cabin. As mentioned in previous threads the BA decks on 10 are the largest at aprox. 96 sq. ft., while the ones on 9 are a little smaller, and then the ones on 8 a bit smaller as well. We had a lounger and a reclining chair and a small table on ours and there was still room to have some stuff out there.

Also the extra things that we made sure to take were clothes pins(very handy) air freshener and binoculars. We didn't need the over the door shoe holder as my shaving kit does that and has lots of room, or the extension cord/power bar as we only have a digital camera and didn't need the extra plugs.

Any other questions just let me know, and thanks for taking the time to read the review.

JBW

Tia

I believe that the earliest that you could disembark was 9:00 but I am not sure as we were literally the last ones off the ship at 10:30. Also, I have no idea how long it will take to get to the airport as we went to Anaheim for the weekend after we got off.

JBW

Archived