Do you drive on a foreign vacation?

Sue's Mom

Totally off topic, I know, but there doesn't seem to be a suitable board, so I hope this is OK.

I love driving in the US. I have mainly driven in Florida but also around San Diego on a weeks vacation, and Arizona several times. I love the automatic cars, cruise control and the aircon. I sometimes forget to use my left foot when I return home and wonder what’s wrong with the (manual) car. Aircon is something which is only just becoming more usual in the UK. Well let’s face it, we rarely need it.

I particularly like being able to pass on the inside and outside; the signs for junctions took a bit of getting used to, most of them seem to be on or after the junction! Can’t count how many times I have had to turn around because we missed the turn-off. Most drivers seem so much more considerate, patient and in less of a hurry than in Britain.

In the UK, most roads (not motorways [interstates]) are lit by street lights at night and we’re never far away from “light pollution”. This does make for easier driving at night. So I’m not too fond of night driving in the US as no lights and no moon can sometimes make for inky blackness and, if you don’t know where you’re going, it can be a bit daunting.

The combination of the grid system and the long straight roads work really well for me as a tourist. I just aim the car in the right direction depending on the time of day and the position of the sun in the sky. That’s how we drove in the right direction back from Kennedy Space Centre to Disney one year.

And of course I do like the really low cost of gas. It’s difficult to do the conversion from sterling to dollars (especially with a fluctuating exchange rate) but a guesstimate would be around somewhere around $7 per gallon.

So if you have driven anywhere other than the US, where was it and what were the pros and cons?

Guest alexMD

Places I have driven:

Canada

US (Incl Hawaii and Alaska), including downtown Manhattan

UK

The Netherlands

Austria

Germany

Switzerland (watch out for the stupid $30 toll you have to pay)

Italy (including Rome)

France

Spain

Mexico

Brazil (I don't recommend it.)

Australia

New Zealand

Most of these places were quite amenable to driving. Most cities were like any other city of the same size.

It pays to find a guide book of local traffic signs, and to know the language (I speak and read English, German, French, Spanish, and some Italian).

I particularly like being able to pass on the inside and outside;
What, you mean you don't do this in the UK? :D

I've driven in about as many countries as alexMD, and very regularly in some (Sydney, for example, is a bit like a second home in this respect). London guerilla driving tactics have proved very useful in many situations. Particularly how to queue-jump, legally.

My husband and I rented a car for our 2nd trip to Europe, drove around France, Germany, Belgium and Holland. I found it preferable to driving in the states, mainly because people follow the "pass in left lane only" rule. It was quite challenging in places though, and we have gone back to the train now.

We had planned to rent a car in Scotland last December until we rode around with some friends in their MINIs, and decided to forego that idea. Train was much easier.

Although I've been to the States before, I have never driven there. When we head there this time, we'll have a hire car waiting for us at Anchorage Airport. This being the first time any of us have actually driven on the 'wrong' side of the road, we could spend our holiday in the airport carpark. :) :)

One word of caution for foreigners driving in the U.S. Should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, even a minor "fender bender", be prepared for a law suit, particularly if you are determined to be at fault.

Have driven in Japan and Okinawa, both during the occupation, and after.

On Okinawa, before reversion to Japanese control, drove on the right - now they drive on the left.

When stationed in Japan, we drove on the right on base, but switched to the left off base. It did on occasion get confusing.

For me, driving on the left is normally fine, but in panic situations you sometimes react in such a way that you ARE the problem.

Don't think I would attempt driving in HongKong, Rome, Paris, or Bangkok. Too much traffic where the horn or cojones determines right-of-way. Yes, I know they are supposed to drive on the right in Paris and Rome, but they are all over the road!

Michael

One word of caution for foreigners driving in the U.S. Should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, even a minor "fender bender", be prepared for a law suit, particularly if you are determined to be at fault.
As a result of which, I would always always take the supplementary liability insurance when renting in the US!

Years ago, while driving in Ireland, I nearly killed myself and my mother. Our guardian angels were with us that day. When I realized I was on the wrong side and jammed on the breaks, the car skidded and came to a stop, inches, and I do mean inches from the other car. As my life flashed before my eyes, the only thing I could think of was, thank goodness I got the liability ins. Because, aside from claiming the bodies, John would have had to pay a $2000 deductable.

Take care,

Pat.

Stay to the left...Stay to the left...OR..in your case...Stay to the right...

As a result of which, I would always always take the supplementary liability insurance when renting in the US!

Oh I always do too.

Don't think I would attempt driving in HongKong, Rome, Paris, or Bangkok. Too much traffic where the horn or cojones determines right-of-way. Yes, I know they are supposed to drive on the right in Paris and Rome, but they are all over the road!

Having driven in Naples, I like the charaterization a friend used - "traffic flows like rocks in an avalance..." I've driven elsewhere in Italy and have never had a problem. The same applies to:

Spain

France

Germany

Greece

Palma de Majorca

I've also driven in the UK snd St. Thomas but agree that the driving on the left can create a problem if you encounter an emergency or if you just aren't paying attention. I suppose the same appliest to Austrlia but I never had to drive while I was there...

Part of the comfort of driving in foreign lands comes from preparation - having good route maps and going over the plans in advance. It also helps to be able to recognize the meaning of road signs - not too hard, generally - and to be able to read in the native language (at least enough to get by).

Good liability coverage is a must!

Finally, you really have to want to drive and feel confident in your ability to do so. I have found that - even when I get lost - there is not too much bad that happens if you maintain situational awareness, your calm, and a good attitude...

Have driven in Japan and Okinawa, both during the occupation, and after.

On Okinawa, before reversion to Japanese control, drove on the right - now they drive on the left.

Michael

Michael-

What memories I have of DH driving in Japan. He has been stationed in both Okinawa and Iwakuni... back in 1987, I visited him in Tokyo - he rented a base car and drove up - met me at the airport - we got stopped for driving on the wrong side before we left the airport (he forgot)... after a week in Tokyo, we drove all the way down to the base at Iwakuni - talk about rural countryside! I took the bullet train back to Tokyo to catch my flight. Many fond memories, as we have only been married 2 months when he left for his 6-month tour.

We've never tried to drive in Europe because neither of us has ever driven a manual shift car, neither of us has ever driven a car as small as European cars (or owned a non-U.S. brand car), and the road signs and driving patterns are too dissimilar to U.S. signs and driving patterns. Are we being scardy cats, or should people who have only driven large, automatic shift U.S. cars stick to trains and buses?

Good liability coverage is a must!
Fortunately, this is not a worry in Europe, Australia or New Zealand - and most other places, too, AFAIK.

If you drive, you must by law have the benefit of unlimited third party liability insurance cover. So basically you either have insurance or you don't. If you're renting as a visitor, that is the level of liability insurance you will have. The only things you have to think about is insuring the car you're renting.

We've never tried to drive in Europe because neither of us has ever driven a manual shift car, neither of us has ever driven a car as small as European cars (or owned a non-U.S. brand car), and the road signs and driving patterns are too dissimilar to U.S. signs and driving patterns. Are we being scardy cats, or should people who have only driven large, automatic shift U.S. cars stick to trains and buses?
You just need to make sure that you rent a car with automatic transmission. At worst you will pay slightly more, although the premium for these is not as much as it used to be. I would have thought that it would be easier, not harder, to drive a smaller car.

Road signs are easy to familiarise yourself with beforehand - and most European road signs are basically pictorial and self-explanatory, so you shouldn't have any difficulty with them, either.

My husband has no problems to drive in Europe and loves it, because he started to drive back in Ukraine (stick-shift).

In some reason he doesn't want to teach me and I am horrified when thinking what will happen if I have to drive there. :mad:

We love to see Europe by car. We have close friends who live in Aachen (Germany). This city is very close to everything!!!! It's 1 hour to Bruxelles, 2 hours to Amsterdam, 4 hours to Paris, 3 hours to Luxemburg etc.

The thing we love about European roads (autobans in Germany) ...there is no speed limits!

We usually take smaller disel car... cause price for a gas over there is about $5 per gallon. Last November we rented Opel Astra, but got were upgraded to BMW 318.

However if we ever visit London (or other places in GB) we won't rent a car!!! I couldn't even cross the street without fear being hit by a car. :eek: Thanks Dod they at least have those "helpers" where to look before crossing the street. ;)

I never have , but would have loved to have driven in Florence.

*LOL* Looked like something out of a Key Stone Cops movie . I would have fit right in *LOL*

I am not sure I want to drive there. There are so many pedestrians walking on the streets...

We would now only drive in the U.K. but nowhere else in Europe.

We drove for a week in France a few years ago and never again!!

It is so hard to get used to driving "on the wrong side of the road" and then having to watch out for everything else, including going around a roundabout the opposite way. It makes for a very stressful holiday.

Jennie

Archived