Drinking Warnings In Patter

jeniceglassman

We are just back from the Diamond. I was disconcerted by the warnings about drinking in Mexico posted on the front page of the Platter. Nope wasn't about the water, they alleged that if a drink wasn't from a sealed container the possibility of "spiking" with something else was possible. It was almost like reading an urban legend. We spoke with a couple that had moved to Pv two years ago to live and they just laughed at the premise. Our cruise was wonderful and we enjoyed every minute. This and the 4 kids across the hall with no adult supervision were the only disconnects on this trip.

I’m sure the warnings are there for a reason – there must have been some incident to warrant them. There’s no reason for the cruise line to denigrate places they are taking you to visit. I think they are pointing out that visitors need to use a little common sense. That kind of thing could happen in any city.

Unfortunately, GHB is on the rise everywhere. I'm sure the warning wasn't meant for people who stay alert in all situations, but as you said there were obviously unaccompanied and possibly less experienced persons on your cruise who could do with a gentle 'reminder' of the facts. Glad you had a good cruise!

People also need to be aware that alcohol is easily available and drinks tend to be much stronger than what we are normally used to. ID's aren't checked either. It does make for some entertaining times watching people trying to get back to the ship before it leaves...

Princess also posts their warning that ice might not be safe due to water quality. I've never had a problem with off-ship drinks containing ice when visiting Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, or Majahual. I guess the risk is there, though.

Really? Yours mentioned non-alcoholic substances?

Ours (CB 9/9/06) just pointed out that drinks may be stronger and that passengers should use caution. It also said the 'reminder' was prompted by the large number of people who become ill after a day in Cozumel.

I figured it was more related to the alcohol itself being stronger, drink measures being different (it happens a lot in 'party' destinations, apparently), and the combination of alcohol and sunshine not being the healthiest in the world (what with alcohol speeding dehydration and all). I don't recall any mention of sealed containers except for drinking water (because of the Hepatitis risk). :confused:

I’m sure the warnings are there for a reason – there must have been some incident to warrant them. There’s no reason for the cruise line to denigrate places they are taking you to visit. I think they are pointing out that visitors need to use a little common sense. That kind of thing could happen in any city.

I agree.

Perhaps this should be a warning for all cruises, not just those to Mexico.

While most food and drink in Mexico should be safe. HOWEVER.

In Cabo a few years ago we toured a food wholesale market. The guide was warned us, 'Do not eat anything!'. It was 10.00am, both hot and smelly, with flies everywhere.

Point two. I know a nurse in my home town, one of the first questions asked, if a person goes to hospital with a strange stomach ache is 'Have you just come back from Mexico?' The answer is quite often 'Yes'. john

The warning sounds like something a Princess lawyer would come up with. Perhaps some passengers sued Princess because she/he wasn't warned about this. Cruise lines get sued all the time because people get hurt because they don't use common sense.

We noticed a similar warning in the CB patter last month. Aside from "spiking," many people do not realize that some Mexican tequilas can be virtually 100% alcohol .... I did not know this until years ago when I had a horrible experience on 2 small, that's 2 (two) margaritas in PV. Our Patter mentioned the hightened alcohol content of shoreside drinks. With the overboard incidents of late, I think Princess is being smart in alerting people to overindulging on shore as well.

We noticed a similar warning in the CB patter last month. Aside from "spiking," many people do not realize that some Mexican tequilas can be virtually 100% alcohol .... I did not know this until years ago when I had a horrible experience on 2 small, that's 2 (two) margaritas in PV. Our Patter mentioned the hightened alcohol content of shoreside drinks. With the overboard incidents of late, I think Princess is being smart in alerting people to overindulging on shore as well.

We were on the Diamond Princess 2 years ago and were disgunstingly ill when, against our better judgement, decided to have breakfast in a restaurant in Cabo San Lucas. Thank goodness that it was our last port before heading back to Los Angeles. We were both sick for 2 weeks after that. I'm glad that Princess now gives warnings.

That's why you have to stick with the bottled beer in Mexico, you know the alcohol content and you're not going to get sick from the ice! My husband learned this the hard way on one of our Cancun vacations ~ we had lunch on Isla Mujeres and I told him to have the beer like I was not a diet coke with ice but did he listen, of course not and spent the next two weeks ill.

Archived