Bargain cruises?

Chat Noir

Does anyone happen to remember some pricings for last minute cruises this past season? I remember some decent last minute discounts from the 2005 summer (some $400pp range), but didn't pay much attention this year.

We want to sail 2007, and have decided not to worry about which cruiseline with our main desire to visit Hubbard Glacier on a RT. Hopefully, we'll have time in Juneau to book (if bookings are still left) a chartered Tracy Arm tour.

Wonder what the chances are of hitting a nicely discounted cruise, especially since we have no preferences on cruiseline, date, or itinerary, other than Hubbard. Airfare isn't a problem as it's constantly on sale RT Seattle from a nearby airport

Have experience waiting for last minute deals??? How'd it work out? .

Generally the cruise lines offer discounts after the final payment is due on a cruise, 75 days before sailing with Princess for example. People and travel agents can hold space up until that time with a relatively small deposit so some cabins are reserved but then let go shortly before final payment time.

I don't think you will find too many discounted Alaska cruises this year unless you are willing to go at the beginning of the season or end. Some already have very limited availability. Last summer they were sold out for the most part.

True that they were sold out, but some of that was due to discounting. I met a woman on our July 1 cruise (the highest of high seasons) who got an oceanview cabin for less than what an inside cabin was going for earlier in the year. But she booked in very late April or early May - just after the final payment for our cruise would have been due.

If you are adament about checking rates daily on various websites, I would say there is a good chance you would be able to find something at a discount.

If you are adament about checking rates daily on various websites, I would say there is a good chance you would be able to find something at a discount.

Thanks, and absolutely will check every day. I'm glad to hear you spoke with someone who found a good price for '06. DH doesn't want to go this time, so DS, friends, and I don't have to work around his schedule. We're not locked into any particular ship, cabin category, itinerary, or date.:)

I had a HAL Hubbard sailing held, but let it go. Since there are several things we'd like for the next cruise, and no one line fills the bill, guess we'll just take what we get and be happy...

True that they were sold out, but some of that was due to discounting. I met a woman on our July 1 cruise (the highest of high seasons) who got an oceanview cabin for less than what an inside cabin was going for earlier in the year. But she booked in very late April or early May - just after the final payment for our cruise would have been due.

Not necessarily. This past season there was a person who waited until 6 weeks out to try to book and ended up paying more for a regular balcony stateroom than most people paid for suites - on any line.

Since the OP wants to visit a specific spot, Hubbard Glacier, plus Juneau they would be better off not waiting until the last minute.

I didn't cruise this year to Alaska but the previous 3 years - I grabbed $399-450 specials in 2004 and 2005 for B2B cruises and in 2002 for one cruise. These were one ways but there were specials for RT Vancouver also. These trips were all May specials but there were early June specials also. I booked at the end of March and first of April for these trips.

I think you will find what you are looking for. It may be a little higher than $399 but there will be specials for May and possibly the first of June.

Did you give up on the Infinity/Serenade? I would think that buying airfare a few months before an Alaskan cruise would negate any cruise savings.

Yes... I prefer a better price this year over itinerary since DH and oldest DS have decided not to go, and since no one itinerary has exactly what I'm looking for, my son (and friends) and I will go wherever the best pricing takes us.:) The teens will have a great time no matter what, and we'll simply enjoy what we get. Anywhere we go in Alaska is beautiful, and any ship will be fun.

Airfare typically isn't a problem RT Seattle from our nearby airports. Offerings through Ding and such often come up. Of course, I've jinxed us, just by saying that, and this summer will be an exception with no good late-date flights!:rolleyes:

Airfare typically isn't a problem RT Seattle from our nearby airports. Offerings through Ding and such often come up. Of course, I've jinxed us, just by saying that, and this summer will be an exception with no good late-date flights!:rolleyes:

I missed seeing the part about airfare to Seattle when I first posted. Hope DINGS are plenty and you don't go crazy waiting for a bargain!

Archived