Lemoncello?

Denisern2

"Real" limoncello is homemade hooch. It is real rather recent that commercial versions started to become popular. Back in the good old days (you remember those, right? Everything was perfect and your body still worked.) if the staff liked you (this only happned to me Rome and south), you would be offered a limoncello after dinner. It was always made by someone at home. Quality varied from superb to paint thinner replacement. Occasionally, this lead to a fun night hanging out with the locals. It was amazing what wearing the scarf of the local football (soccer) club could do. :)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

if you go to sabatini's, some waiters will offer you some. make sure it ask for it if it is not offered. and ask for as much as you want. it was quite tasty.

enjoy & good luck. so much of the sabatini experience depends on the waiter you get. hope you get a good one!

melody:D

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished out Diamond princess cruise this last saturday....sigh....what a wonderful time :)

We had Lemoncello in The Savory (wrng spllng) and I loved it my husband didn't.....April (our jr server loved her) noticed that I liked it and poured me a free refill!!! The shot glasses were included in the price......

Thanks for the recipe I am going to be making this :)

"Real" limoncello is homemade hooch. It is real rather recent that commercial versions started to become popular. Back in the good old days (you remember those, right? Everything was perfect and your body still worked.) if the staff liked you (this only happned to me Rome and south), you would be offered a limoncello after dinner. It was always made by someone at home.

Paul

I didn't know this! We were offered it a couple times (once in Rome and also in a tiny fishing village on the Amalfi Coast) and both times were were surprised when it didn't show up on our bill.

Anyways, I love limoncello too and am not a drinker beyond the very occasional glass of wine. Dh brought a bottle home as a gift for his boss. It was very well recieved. :D

On the Golden Princess last year we entered the dining room and saw this decanter of yellow liquid on ice at the waiters station (this was Italian night). It was limoncello and we were told buy the shot glass and your waiter will fill it up as many times as you want. In fact our waiter encouraged us to drink as much as we wanted. As soon as the glass was empty it was quickly refilled. I could only stomach 2 glasses but others loved the flavor and had a few more. This year on the Crown Princess they only offered the Limoncello after dinner and we needed to ask for the free refills. I'm not sure if the protocol had changed or if it was just the difference between ships and crews.

We bought some of this in St Maarten last week - do you all drink it straight? The kind we got is 64 proof.

Yes, but in very small quantities. It is considered an digestif and typically drank after the meal. It is served in a very tiny glass. I don't know what it is called, but it is slightly taller than a shot glass, but more narrow. You could probably fit a pinkie finger in the glass.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a bottle in our freezer too! Just tonight my husband wanted to make room in the freezer by finishing off that bottle. :D We tasted it for the first time on our anniversary in Rome, but I'd heard of it from a friend who's a chef in Florence, Italy. Here's her site: http://www.divinacucina.com/. She has a recipe too.

We make our own also, and DD made up a triple batch to give as Christmas gifts. Best served icy cold straight from the freezer. DH is from Italy and we travel often. His relatives make a delightful after dinner refresher with limoncello, Prosecco and sorbet....ahhh summer.

• 9 months later...

What a great thread--such wonderful memories. I did a study abroad in Malta, so I could be in Italy every weekend. One evening in Santa Margherita Ligure we had dinner in a tiny little place with a great waiter who turned out to the owner as well. My girlfriends and I loved the long leisurely meal with the super flirtatious owner. He sat down with us and introduced us to limoncello.

Thus began a lifelong love for the lemony libation. Ah limoncello. And (at least last time we cruised) when you had the limoncello, you got little apertif glasses too--we've got a little collection going!

Yes, it was available in the dining room...that I know for sure. On the 'Italian' night, our wait-staff offered it to us in special (very delicate and nice) shot glasses. The price with 15% gratuity was around $5.00 each and we could keep the shot glass. In fact our head waiter offered us a second glass free.

I am not sure if it was offered else where on the ship, but would assume it would be in the inside bars.

BTW, we sailed on the Golden Princess.

Archived