Carival vs. Princess

Sandi149

For those of you who have sailed with Carnival and Princess which one would you choose? I am looking into going on a cruise to the Caribbean next May or June and the Princess ship is 1000 more than the Carnival one. Is Princess worth 1000 more?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandi :)

Both are fine but for that kind of price difference go with Carnival. I have been on Princess 6 times going on my 3rd Carnival cruise this Sunday. I love Movies under the Stars on Princess but like the food and staff better on Carnival. I am just happy they will not let me do the dishes on any Cruise ship. Cannot wait to get on the Mircale this Sunday.

No way that Princess is worth that kind of extra money. Book with Carnival and spend the savings on the excursions, tips, gift shop, etc.:D

That's what I was thinking too. If I can get Princess where it's only like 500 more, then I might do it, but for 1000 that is a bit much. 3200 for Princess compared to 2200 for Carnival. Big difference.

I changed to Princess and received a great deal for a balcony but you've got to go thru a ta. I know there are sale out there. By the way, if you go to the members reviews and compare Princess and Carnival that might help you select.

I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises but I was comparing with Destiny and got spooked from bad reviews.

I changed to Princess and received a great deal for a balcony but you've got to go thru a ta. I know there are sale out there. By the way, if you go to the members reviews and compare Princess and Carnival that might help you select.

I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises but I was comparing with Destiny and got spooked from bad reviews.

I am definitely going to go with a ta. Hopefully they can get me a good deal for Princess. If not, I will book on Carnival.

Thanks. :D

That's what I was thinking too. If I can get Princess where it's only like 500 more, then I might do it, but for 1000 that is a bit much. 3200 for Princess compared to 2200 for Carnival. Big difference.

Not even at $500, IMHO. If the price difference was about $200 - $250, and there was a different port or two, then maybe it would be worth it.

Would booking a balcony guarantee lower the price at all? I need to have a balcony cabin but really don't care if its in the front or back of the ship. So if that would lower the price then maybe Princess won't be so expensive. The Crown Princess looks so beautiful and classy.

There are so many things that affect your enjoyment of the cruise and the price! I don't think you can say go Carnival or go Princess so easily. First, which ships are you comparing? Are you open for any itinerary or does one stop at more desirable ports?

Cost is always a concern. But you appear to be fairly flexible on the cruise date. Depending upon how the ships are filling up you might find that the Princess balcony is no longer as expensive as originally quoted. I sailed on the Caribbean Princess last summer at a great price but the price was a last minute bargain. You tend to see more of the last minute sales on Princess.

I've had fun on both Carnival and Princess ships. They each have their pluses IMO.

There are so many things that affect your enjoyment of the cruise and the price! I don't think you can say go Carnival or go Princess so easily. First, which ships are you comparing? Are you open for any itinerary or does one stop at more desirable ports?

Cost is always a concern. But you appear to be fairly flexible on the cruise date. Depending upon how the ships are filling up you might find that the Princess balcony is no longer as expensive as originally quoted. I sailed on the Caribbean Princess last summer at a great price but the price was a last minute bargain. You tend to see more of the last minute sales on Princess.

I've had fun on both Carnival and Princess ships. They each have their pluses IMO.

Looking into either the Crown Princess or Carnival Miracle. Both leave out of NY.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

They are both owned by Carnival but Princess tries to project a classier image. You have to decide what is important to you on a cruise. I cruise solo and like the nightlife, fun atmosphere on the carnival cruise. If I wanted a more sedate, touchy-feely, heavy on attention, I would pick Princess, RCCL or maybe even HAL.

What is your personal poison? If you like the fun, fun, action, action, action -- Carnival. If you want cool towels/ice water by the pool atmosphere- perhaps Princess will do it.

Price always drives me because I always want to cruise more than I can afford to.

Good Luck!!!

I have been on both cruise lines...the Legend just this past September out of New York and a Princess cruise to the Panama Canal about 3 years ago. No comparison...Princess far out does Carnival in evertything. It's like comparing Sak's Fifth Avenue to Walmart..well maybe not that much but still food, shows, daily entertainment, crew, size of pools everything is better on Princess!!

They are both owned by Carnival but Princess tries to project a classier image. You have to decide what is important to you on a cruise. I cruise solo and like the nightlife' date=' fun atmosphere on the carnival cruise. If I wanted a more sedate, touchy-feely, heavy on attention, I would pick Princess, RCCL or maybe even HAL.

What is your personal poison? If you like the fun, fun, action, action, action -- Carnival. If you want cool towels/ice water by the pool atmosphere- perhaps Princess will do it.

Price always drives me because I always want to cruise more than I can afford to.

Good Luck!!![/quote']

The difference in price is 1000. For me that is a lot. A couple hundred, I would say ok....but that 1000 I can use towards drinks, excursions, stuff, etc.

I do like having fun but by no means am I a party animal. :D

I'm certainly going to have a tough decision to make.

I have been on both cruise lines...the Legend just this past September out of New York and a Princess cruise to the Panama Canal about 3 years ago. No comparison...Princess far out does Carnival in evertything. It's like comparing Sak's Fifth Avenue to Walmart..well maybe not that much but still food, shows, daily entertainment, crew, size of pools everything is better on Princess!!

I agree - I've always got deals on Princess - better than Carnival, so do research. (Right now you can get 7 day out of LA in Feb for $458, inside with $150 room credit!)

I agree - I've always got deals on Princess - better than Carnival, so do research. (Right now you can get 7 day out of LA in Feb for $458, inside with $150 room credit!)

Looking for the ship to leave out of NY. For some reason NY is always more expensive. :(

Like a restaurant that will charge more for the same things to eat, the higher one will attract a higher percentage of people not having a problem shelling out a couple of extra bucks. But, that doesn't mean you won't be mingling among people that know no better.

I got caught once on a sailing that was also being offered "dirt cheap". And that's exactly what I sailed with. :eek:

Sandy: I would sail the Miracle out of NYC. It's a wonderful cruise: very good food,atmosphere, entertainment and service. I sailed it from Tampa in May,'06. I sailed Caribbean Princess in August: not nearly as good as the Miracle. Got a great rate on a mini-suite , but the food and service were mediocre. Have you registered with Princess on its website? After I registered, they e-mailed me a special introductory rate code,which is how I got the good deal. However, you may be able to get a good rate on the Miracle at this point in time. In both cases, I booked directly with the Cruiseline...by phone. Do lots of searches on-line. Be wary of un-known TAs. Good luck. Let us know what you decide. Diane

I was just on the Miracle and it's a really beautiful ship. We just loved her. It was a lot quieter, too, compared to my other Carnival cruise. Much more layed back and relaxing. I don't think you would be disappointed if you decided to go Carnival instead of Princess.

Sandi: I just checked the rates for the Crown P next May...they're too high. Look into the Miracle. I was in a balcony cabin, Empress Deck. There was not too much choice in cabin selection, since we booked at the last minute. I think you'll love the Miracle.. Good luck. Diane

I also agree, but keep in mind that everyone has different tastes. What I didn't like about Carnival, maybe someone else really liked...and what I love about Princess, someone else might not like at all. :)

I have been on Carnival many times and Princess twice. Princess may be "classier," but I did not necessarily like it better. The cabins were smaller on Princess and the entertainment with the exception of the Motor City show not as good. The food was more gourmet, but much of it was not executed well and there were several nights where the menu selection did not interest. The dining room service on the Grand Princess was better than any we have had on Carnival, but on the Sun Princess it was worse.

Therefore, for me, Princess would dei=finitely not be worth $1,000 more. The way I look at it is that I could use the $1,000 towards another cruise.

Sandi: Sorry to be such a nuisance. Caribbean Princess has very good pricing out of Ft. Lauderdale on the April 29th sailing. You can probably get a good fare from NY/Newark to FLL if you shop around. Diane

Sandi: I just checked the rates for the Crown P next May...they're too high. Look into the Miracle. I was in a balcony cabin, Empress Deck. There was not too much choice in cabin selection, since we booked at the last minute. I think you'll love the Miracle.. Good luck. Diane

I did read very good reviews for the Miracle and most probably we will go with them.

I am sailing on the Legend next week for a 2 night cruise so I will get to see how Carnival operates.

Thanks,

Sandi :)

Sandi: Sorry to be such a nuisance. Caribbean Princess has very good pricing out of Ft. Lauderdale on the April 29th sailing. You can probably get a good fare from NY/Newark to FLL if you shop around. Diane

Problem is that I hate flying and since I live in NY, that is why I wanted to leave out of NY.

Archived