Carival vs. Princess

Sandi149

Sandi, I wouldn't use a 2 day CTN necessarily as a way to judge a cruiseline. The demographics of the passengers on a 2 day cruise in no way compare to that of an 8 or 9 day cruise. You may see a rough crowd of heavy drinkers and people who want to gamble which, I can assure you, we did not see on the Liberty Med cruise. You will certainly be able to sample the food and see what the layout is like. We did the Legend out of NY 3 years ago and absolutely loved it and are doing the Crown this summer just to sample something different. It's our 25th and we're celebrating in a suite.

Sandi, I wouldn't use a 2 day CTN necessarily as a way to judge a cruiseline. The demographics of the passengers on a 2 day cruise in no way compare to that of an 8 or 9 day cruise. You may see a rough crowd of heavy drinkers and people who want to gamble which, I can assure you, we did not see on the Liberty Med cruise. You will certainly be able to sample the food and see what the layout is like. We did the Legend out of NY 3 years ago and absolutely loved it and are doing the Crown this summer just to sample something different. It's our 25th and we're celebrating in a suite.

bphman: then how can I judge it...I have to judge it at least by the food, cleanliness of the ship, the shows, the staff, etc. I have been on a CTN about 7 years ago aboard the now defunct Premier Cruise Lines. The crowd was great, not a bunch of drunks or gamblers. And from what I remember everything was great. The only complaint I had about that ship was the size of the room. I paid for a deluxe inside cabin and basically got a room as I would describe it as "a bed with a door". That is how small it was. Carnival's smallest inside cabins are 100% bigger than that room was.

Anyway, I just can't see spending 1000 more for something that "might" be "prettier to look at". If it is worth 1000 more for "some reason", 100% better food, better shows, cleaner cabins, etc...then I might consider it. 1000 is a lot for me to spend on something that is not "worth" the price. I could go on the Carnival Miracle for 2200 and spend the extra money on the cruise excursions, souveniers, drinks, etc. I will be with my husband and the fun that we have together is what counts.

Wherever I am on vacation I will have a good time. thanks for your advice though. :)

Sandi

Interesting thread to me to hear all the comments since we're booked on both of these ships next year.

How did you get such a good deal? What time of year are you going? I am looking into cruising in either next May or June and the price for the Crown Princess out of NY for the lowest priced balcony cabin is about 3200. The price on the Carnival Miracle ship for a mid-range priced balcony cabin is 2200.

Ouch! I assume you mean for 2 people? We're sailing out of NY on the Crown in a BB balcony on the Caribe deck and it's about $1600 US. It's a 9 day cruise - eastern caribbean

In March we're on the Miracle (our March break) out of Tampa and it's $1600/person Cdn for a suite. 7 day cruise - western caribbean

We chose Carnival for March because we're bring our teenager and figured that this would be a good choice for that. In July it's just dh and myself. I didn't want the balcony guarantee though cause I wanted that extra big balcony that you get on the Caribe deck.

Did I get a good deal? I don't know and frankly at this point -- I don't much care. I'm just happy to be going and I know that with the choices we made, we're going to love both of our cruises.

Kim

I didn't want to be misunderstood. What I meant to say was that I think it is great that you have the opportunity to sample Carnival on a 2 day. You will learn alot about the ship, certainly enough about the accommodations, public areas and food. I just wouldn't want you to write Carnival purely based on a 2 day cruise since it is a totally different experience. I was reluctant to cruise Carnival because of reputation and was glad I took a chance. Have had 3 fabulous cruises with them and have a Christmas cruise booked on the Liberty.

I didn't want to be misunderstood. What I meant to say was that I think it is great that you have the opportunity to sample Carnival on a 2 day. You will learn alot about the ship, certainly enough about the accommodations, public areas and food. I just wouldn't want you to write Carnival purely based on a 2 day cruise since it is a totally different experience. I was reluctant to cruise Carnival because of reputation and was glad I took a chance. Have had 3 fabulous cruises with them and have a Christmas cruise booked on the Liberty.

bphman, you are so right. Carnival has some how gotten a reputation for being loud and party cruises. That might ( no personal experience ) be the case for the short 3 or 4 days cruises but all our cruises on Carnival have been 7 days or longer and we have never been on a cruise that was loud or noisy. We have been on quite a few different cruiselines and find no differences and have enjoyed all of our cruises.

sandi149, just remember that each ship and each cruise is different. Save the extra money and book Carnival.

bphman, you are so right. Carnival has some how gotten a reputation for being loud and party cruises. That might ( no personal experience ) be the case for the short 3 or 4 days cruises but all our cruises on Carnival have been 7 days or longer and we have never been on a cruise that was loud or noisy. We have been on quite a few different cruiselines and find no differences and have enjoyed all of our cruises.

sandi149, just remember that each ship and each cruise is different. Save the extra money and book Carnival. Enjoy your 2 day CTN! And no matter which ship you decide on, enjoy it too!

Carnival does get trashed too often. I used to be one of the Carnival bashers. I was a total snob about the cruiseline. I sailed The Legend in 2003...too glitzy for me. Then I sailed the Miracle(because it was the only 6-9 day cruise from Tampa at the time) and became a Carnival convert. The ship is beautiful, the service and food are excellent. I'd do it again in a minute.

Interesting thread to me to hear all the comments since we're booked on both of these ships next year.

Ouch! I assume you mean for 2 people? We're sailing out of NY on the Crown in a BB balcony on the Caribe deck and it's about $1600 US. It's a 9 day cruise - eastern caribbean

In March we're on the Miracle (our March break) out of Tampa and it's $1600/person Cdn for a suite. 7 day cruise - western caribbean

We chose Carnival for March because we're bring our teenager and figured that this would be a good choice for that. In July it's just dh and myself. I didn't want the balcony guarantee though cause I wanted that extra big balcony that you get on the Caribe deck.

Did I get a good deal? I don't know and frankly at this point -- I don't much care. I'm just happy to be going and I know that with the choices we made, we're going to love both of our cruises.

Kim

Kaws: With regard to your crown princess cruise...you are talking 1600 per person right? The one I was looking at the 2nd week of May was about the same price. Too expensive for me. I looked at the Miracle which is one less day and the first week of June and was about 1100-1200 per person.

I am just so confused now. I got good and bad reviews for both lines. *sigh* how does one decide. Both are the Eastern Caribbean which is what I want.

I would love to try both lines next year but definitely cannot afford 2 cruises in one year. I think I will just book the Miracle because it did get great reviews and save the 1000 dollars to use on souveniers, shore excursions, drinks, etc. My dream since I was a kid was to go on a week long cruise to the Caribbean with my husband and no matter which ship we choose as long as we are together having fun, that is what counts :)

We've cruised both lines (four times on Carnival and once on Princess). As someone else said, they're much more alike than they are different. My older DD and I prefer Princess and our younger DD and my DH prefer Carnival. Even though I prefer Princess, I wouldn't even consider paying $1,000 more than virtually the same cruise on Carnival.

We wouldn't hesitate to sail either line again.

Have fun!

Jayne

:D

I would love to try both lines next year but definitely cannot afford 2 cruises in one year. I think I will just book the Miracle because it did get great reviews and save the 1000 dollars to use on souveniers, shore excursions, drinks, etc. My dream since I was a kid was to go on a week long cruise to the Caribbean with my husband and no matter which ship we choose as long as we are together having fun, that is what counts :)

I think you made a good choice! Enjoy your cruise!!!!!:)

I don't think that you will be disappointed. Don't miss the repeat cruisers party. Be sure to talk to some of the senior officers at the party. They are a very nice group of professionals. Good luck.

I don't think that you will be disappointed. Don't miss the repeat cruisers party. Be sure to talk to some of the senior officers at the party. They are a very nice group of professionals. Good luck.

What do they have at the repeat cruisers party?

I was sailing with my 23 year old son; we arrived as the party was ending. Three of the senior officers greeted us, and offered us drinks, etc.; even though the party was,in effect, over. They chatted with us for quite a while, and were very gracious. This is one of the reasons why I think that the crew of the Miracle goes above and beyond what is expected and/or required. Have fun.

JMO $1000 buys a LOT of fun...drinks, photos, shore excursions etc

Have only heard good things about Miracle

Was on Princess 2x and 1x on Carnival and like both

Carnival has really nice iced tea and juice free, free ice cream, less nickle/diming compared to Princess I think....also free coffee or cappechino/expresso when you eat in dining room ..very nice

Princess has freshwater pools that are chlorinated, stay open...very nice pools

Princess also is a bit better about enforcing NO kids in certain hot tubs and pools, etc...JMO.

All things considered tho, $1000 is a LOT of fun, I would go on Carnival and enjoy.. lots of extras, reserve the specialty restaurant

Where did this $1000 come from? Our cruise on the Legend was 120.00 more than the Carribean Princess, same type of balcony cabin. :) Did I miss something...Ok, now I see, the op is saying for "Her" the price is 1000 more.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier postings, I will be going on a 2 night CTN next Thurs on the Carnival Legend and will see how I like Carnival. I will make my decision after I return. Since there is such a big difference in price, I will most probably go with Carnival. I am always happy when I am on vacation and I don't let the little things bother me. As long as I don't have to cook the food, serve it or make the beds and clean up the cabin, I am a VERY happy camper!!! :D

I do have a question about a balcony guarantee cabin for next years cruise. If I book the guarantee instead of picking the actual cabin, would there be a savings? I see a lot of people book guarantees on the cruises. If there is no savings in $$$, what would be the point of booking a guarantee?

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. You guys have really been great. :)

Can't wait to go next week and I will be posting my review on here of the Legend CTN.

Thanks,

Sandi

The Miracle and the Legend are the same class of ship and will have a similar layout. The interior decor is different. Each Carnival ship has its own theme. The reviews of each ship on the CC board can tell you some of the differences in the decor.

On your CTN aboard the Legend, please keep in mind that this is not a "normal" cruise. This is more like a weekend party. Just check out the food and service and ignore the more rowdy cruisers. You won't much of this kind of behavior on a longer cruise. You will also become a past guest of Carnival after this cruise. This will qualify you for more discounts when booking your next cruise. Register on the Carnival website and you will be notified of the upcoming sales.

As I stated before, there is no way that Princess is worth that much additional money. If the difference were $200, then it would be a toss-up between the two. $1,000 is half the cost of another cruise.

Good luck and have fun on your CTN. You will find out why Carnival ships are fun.:D

The Miracle and the Legend are the same class of ship and will have a similar layout. The interior decor is different. Each Carnival ship has its own theme. The reviews of each ship on the CC board can tell you some of the differences in the decor.

On your CTN aboard the Legend, please keep in mind that this is not a "normal" cruise. This is more like a weekend party. Just check out the food and service and ignore the more rowdy cruisers. You won't much of this kind of behavior on a longer cruise. You will also become a past guest of Carnival after this cruise. This will qualify you for more discounts when booking your next cruise. Register on the Carnival website and you will be notified of the upcoming sales.

As I stated before, there is no way that Princess is worth that much additional money. If the difference were $200, then it would be a toss-up between the two. $1,000 is half the cost of another cruise.

Good luck and have fun on your CTN. You will find out why Carnival ships are fun.:D

Thanks....I certainly will :D

• 4 years later...

I have never been on Carnival before, but princess was very good experiance. The service,ports were very good, and food was great. The best had to be Grand Cayman it was beautiful there. Muts was great and it was a nice time. You got free popcorn and cookies. You can also get candy for extra charge. I would like a little description of carnival though since we have only been on Princess and RCI. Thanks!:D

Archived