uncovered balconies

tothemax

We had an uncovered balcony on the Island Princess and we did not care for it. You always feel like people are looking down at you even though they probably aren't. They gave us that cabin as an upgrade on a quarantee so we took it but will try to avoid it next time.

Barbara

Just got back from the canal transit on Coral - Aloha 618 (covered balcony - we chose to have a "shaded" balcony for both privacy and comfort).

The only issue (and certainly not a big deal) with Aloha deck is that our balcony ceiling was the "promenade" for Lido deck (outside the doors to the gym/spa area) and we got a fair amount of foot traffic over our heads (and some deck cleaning noise).

Our friends a few cabins back (uncovered balcony) had the same issues plus the lack of privacy from "passersby" on the public deck overhead. They would have preferred covered for privacy but it certainly wasn't a "show stopper."

It's pretty much what you would expect. It's not a problem for most folks, but if you want privacy or feel uncomfortable with others looking down/up at you then it can be. You're high up, so the problem of litter falling on you is minimized. But it comes with the possibility of foot traffic noise.

Pretty much a personal opinion...if it matters to you. For a panama canal cruise, I'd say any balcony would be important for the views...and that other stuff wouldn't matter.

Why pay for a balcony that isn't private. At first, when seeing them, I thought they were the best...but realize that having no privacy ...why pay the extra for a private veranda? I didn't feel this way quite so much until I was on a cruise where our balcony jutted out, although it was the same size as most of the other balconies. Ok, here is what bothered me....we were out there in the high seas during hurricane Rita. On one of the balcony cabins above us, the passenger(s) were suspceptible to sea sickness. We could never go out without a scout (our wonderful room steward) to see what was splattered all over our balcony from the rooms above. Seeing that people do get sea sick and some don't have the sense or the time to make it to the toilet....and you just never know who is going to reside in the cabins above....I wouldn't spend the extra money for one...knowing what I know, of course. This, coming from someone that was sold on them until the first booking on one!! :eek:

We had an uncovered balcony on the Dolphin Deck of the Golden Princess. Two weeks ago, while we were coming into Venice, some jerks threw ice from one of the decks above. The impact was enough to dent the plastic table and chairs. While no one was seriously injured, I wouldn't take the risk of having another uncovered balcony. It isn't a matter of privacy...

We had an uncovered balcony on the Sapphire and personally didn't care for it. On other cruises we always enjoyed having our morning coffee or breakfast on the balcony, but who wants to take that chance when you don't know what is going to land on you! Before we booked it I didn't think it would be a problem, but I really disliked the openness of it. I won't book a totally uncovered balcony again.

On the Coral Princess we had a half covered / half exposed balcony

on the Caribe Deck. Really enjoyed having the shade and protection

from above when needed. It rained alot on that cruise ! :( I just

requested and received a cabin change from a Riviera "BB" to a Caribe "BB"

on our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise. Those Caribe balconies are also

larger then balconies on other decks ! ;)

Hi,

I do not know whether i have a covered or uncovered deck on my up and coming cruise on the Crown A506... If anyone knows of this room, please post?

thanks

That balcony is of the small size type, but it is covered.

it looks like uncovered is the way to go...I guess we lucked out... All I want is a place to go with my DH and enjoy the beautiful view. Thanks for great the input.

Are there larger decks? i was unaware of this. I thought they were all the same size.

I much prefer my balcony to be covered, but the size of the balcony is not that important to me. If I had more than two people in a room, then I could see the advantage of a big balcony. But with two people, the only real advantage of a larger balcony is that there is room enough to have a lounger, assuming that the balcony is equipted with one.

But with two people, the only real advantage of a larger

balcony is that there is room enough to have a lounger,

assuming that the balcony is equipted with one.

Our Caribe Balcony was huge on the Island Princes and although there was

no lounger present when we first arrived, we requested one from our steward,

and it was there when we returned to dress for dinner the first evening.

Love those Caribe Balconies. :D

We had an uncovered balcony on the Sapphire and personally didn't care for it. On other cruises we always enjoyed having our morning coffee or breakfast on the balcony, but who wants to take that chance when you don't know what is going to land on you! Before we booked it I didn't think it would be a problem, but I really disliked the openness of it. I won't book a totally uncovered balcony again.
We have a balcony on the Sapphire on Aloha deck. How do we find out if ours will be covered or uncovered. We have never cruised with Princess and just thought that it would be covered same as we have had with other ships. Many thanks

SRS1SRS: CB is the two letter abbreviation Princess uses for the Caribbean Princess. These abbreviations are used by many here. Why not CP? That abbreviation was already in use.

Sandancer: All of the Aloha Deck balconies are covered, at least the ones on the sides of the ship. I am not sure about the ones on the stern (rear end).

on our first cruise and LOVED it!! Never had anyone staring, throwing up or littering on us or our balcony. We loved having a mini-suite (could never do anything smaller) and gazing up at the stars at night........priceless!!

We'll be on the Dolphin deck again in January on the CB and can't wait!!

so CB stands for Caribe Balcony? I was trying to figure this one out.

Actually, I think CB stands for Caribbean Princess. I had a difficult time figuring out all the abbreviations when I first got on the Princess board. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.:o

Archived