In KW from 7-2, what is open that early????

sanditoes4

Is it worth getting up and out first thing in the morning?? Is anything going to be open??? Is it a sleep in morning and then head out?? Seems like such a pushed day, I really want to go and get the most out of it but other than wonder the streets at 7am what can we do?????

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

I wish I could tell you. We go to Key West a few days each winter, but we're never out and about that early.

I've noticed those 7AM-2PM stops there before on cruises and could never understand why they leave so early. To really experience KW one should at least be able to stay for sunset festival, if not later:D

I am bummed too, that we're only in port 7am-2pm. We have an excursion at 9, so we'll sleep in and get off the boat just before that. We'll do our walking around and exploring after the excurision which ends around 10:30. Hopefully there'll be a few things open then.

I too have a 7:30-2:00 port time in KW for my first cruise ever in november.

we figured we would just walk around or rent a scooter to go around the island.

then aroud 11-12 head over to fat tuesdays and hogs breath.

do some shopping

just make good user of the time youhave.

speaking of which.

where can i rent a scooter?

speaking of which.

where can i rent a scooter?

You will have no trouble finding scooter, bicycle, or electric car rentals once you disembark. They will be hovering for your business, just please be careful as far too many tourists are injured/killed in scooter accidents.

Have a great visit!

Mike

I've noticed those 7AM-2PM stops there before on cruises and could never understand why they leave so early. To really experience KW one should at least be able to stay for sunset festival, if not later:D

The major reason cruise ships leave early is that those ships docked in front of the Westin Hotel or Mallory Square block the view of the sunset. Ships docked at Mallory Square would really spoil the atmosphere of festivities there.

Even so, I have been in Key West when a Disney ship docked in front of the Westin Hotel (formerly Hilton Hotel) stayed there late into the evening.

I thought that was the reason too, but I have been in Key West many times for a land vacation and have seen several cruiseships stay later.

The early morning hours are a great time to ride a scooter around the island, before it fully wakes up and the traffic kicks into full gear. We've rented from Moped Hospital on Truman and Pirates on Southard, but I'm not sure how early they open. There are also plenty of rental places that are closer to the docks, so I'd probably just check there.

Ships can stay in Key West after sunset, as long as they are not docked at Mallory Square. We were there last year from 7-2 as well. Not a lot open that early, but it was kind of nice to just walk around, because it was very quiet. The area definetly picks up after 9, when most places are open.

We will be back in a few weeks and are fortunate enough to be there in the evening, because our ship (Norwegian Majesty) docks at the Outer Mole Pier. Can't wait!!:p

A locals bar, Schooner Wharf, opens at 8AM. I know you get breakfast on the ship, but Schooner Wharf just started serving a great breakfast. Dr. Bob's Blood Marys are the best. They do serve drinks that early. Very colorful locals there at that hour!

Joanne

I really like the idea of renting a scooter!!! And if it is going to be quieter in the AM then maybe that will be the best time to go and do those oh so famous photo stops!!!! Then head back and walk around!!

Is there any certain place we should get to while we have wheels??

Thanks again,

You will find most of the touristy bars like Hogs Breath and Sloppy Joe's open by 10, if not before. I really wish they would make the KW port call times more reasonable. Ships could stay until 4 or 5 and still be gone before the sunset celebrations begin if that really is an issue. :rolleyes:

We plan on checking out the Secret Garden this time in KW. A fun thing to do if you have wheels is to go to the cemetery. It's free and it has some really interesting headstones. Things like "I told you I was sick." There's also the butterfly conservatory and the southernmost point. Here are a few websites to check out:

http://www.nfsgarden.com/

http://www.keywest.com/attractions/cemetery.htm

http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/

http://keywest.com/attract.html

Have fun. KW is a very neat place. :)

shirleygr: Thank you!!!! Those were great links!!!! I have some super fun ideas for me and my sister now!!! We are going on a "girl's cruise" what fun stories to come home with!!!!!

Thanks everyone else too, some great ideas.....I was thinking of just sleeping in a bit, but I don't think I will now!!!!:D

shirleygr: Thank you!!!! Those were great links!!!! I have some super fun ideas for me and my sister now!!! We are going on a "girl's cruise" what fun stories to come home with!!!!!

Thanks everyone else too, some great ideas.....I was thinking of just sleeping in a bit, but I don't think I will now!!!!:D

You're welcome. Have a great time on your girls' cruise. I think you're going to have a blast. I see you're on the Enchantment. She's a great ship--I've been on her twice. Definitely get to Chops one night for dinner. Well worth the $$. Have fun! :)

Like I said, I thought that was the case as well, but it's not true because sometimes ships do stay docked at Mallory Square after sunset. Take a look at the Key West cruise ship calendars:

http://www.keywestcity.com/department/calendar.asp?fDD=13-192

THANKS for the link, Beth. However, I didn't see a key for the locations indicated. I can figure out that (M) means Mallory Square, and (OM) is for Outer Mole. But what do (A) and (B) stand for, and where are they?

hmmm.....I'm just trying to figure out where (A) might be. Here is what the schedule shows for December 19, when we will be there on NCL Pearl....

Enchantment (B) 700-1400

Fascination (OM) 745-1400

N. Pearl (A) 800-

Rhapsody (B) 1545-0100

....and I can't find a reference to "Pier A" anywhere :confused: Oh well, thanks again for trying to help, Beth.

hmmm.....I'm just trying to figure out where (A) might be. Here is what the schedule shows for December 19, when we will be there on NCL Pearl....

Enchantment (B) 700-1400

Fascination (OM) 745-1400

N. Pearl (A) 800-

Rhapsody (B) 1545-0100

....and I can't find a reference to "Pier A" anywhere :confused: Oh well, thanks again for trying to help, Beth.

Try this link. The site lists (A) as Anchorage. Maybe you have to swim the rest of the way;) http://www.gotothekeys.com/key_west_cruise_ship_schedule.htm

• 2 months later...

Help anybody where exactly is the "OM" or "outermole" dock in Key West, I know where the "M" Mallory dock is and the "B" dock just down from mallory but where is the "OM" dock , it looks like it is out on a little pier away from the rest? How far from Duval ???

• 3 years later...
Like I said, I thought that was the case as well, but it's not true because sometimes ships do stay docked at Mallory Square after sunset. Take a look at the Key West cruise ship calendars:

http://www.keywestcity.com/department/calendar.asp?fDD=13-192

I believe ships leave early is to get to the next destination. The Majesty leaves Key West at 2PM and arrives in Nassau at 12:00 the next day, if they left later the would arrive at Nassau really late or need to steam at high speed (costly) to make up time.

• 4 months later...

Archived