Joyce Prince Review - Oct 13 2006

cesarrcabrera

We met with Joyce right out of the pier area. She was already there, and as soon as we got to the pre-arranged spot she greeted us.

The ride was on a Trail Blazer (seemed very new), which was very comfortable for the 8 of us, and allowed for everyone to hear what she was saying. It was a very hot day; but even my kids who were all the way in the back had no problems, as the car had another A/C unit for those in the back.

It was a 6 hour tour and included pretty much anything we wanted to see in that time. We went shopping first, as I wanted to get a camera and my wife wanted some jewelry. Joyce took us to Front Street, and showed us a store where she knows te owner. We went there, and pricing was without question a lot better than that of other nearby stores; and the service was also very good. My wife had a blast trying on different things, including some that the owner himself knew we were not going to buy; but that my wife certainly enjoyed trying (like a $9,000 diamond bracelet). My wife got a set of diamond earrings, a necklace with a diamond pendant, and a diamond ring; and after looking for similar items in other stores (there and in St Thomas) we are extremely sure we got a great price.

I then mentioned the store owner I was looking for a camera, and he left an employee incharged of the store, while he walked us to a camera store nearby, where he told them to give me a good price. I got my Nikon D50 kit for about $200 less than its cost in Puerto Rico, and about $130 less than its lowest price in the US. So I'm very happy about that. The camera store person also said that he would hapily ship anything else I needed, so it was a good thing to know. (I will make a separate review on the two stores on another post)

After that we went all around and inside the island (orient beach, marigot, etc), with some great photo ops (hey, I had just purchased a camera! ;)). Joyce asked if we wanted to have lunch on the island; but most people decided they rather continue, and eat back at the ship.

Around 1:30 PM we got to Maho beach, as Joyce found out that planes started arriving around that time. I was able to take pictures of two large planes landing (will post them below), and enjoy some french fries while waiting..

Last but not least we went to a local supermarket, as my friends wanted to get some dutch cheese, and they didn't buy it at the first two ports. I would strongly recomend this tour to anyone looking to have a great time in St Maarten.

Appreciate your review! I just booked with Joyce this week for September 13th 2007 and can't wait! What time did she pick you up ?

On the jewelry, did you bargain for the price ? If so, how much off markup did you get ? This would be one of the highligts for me, as I love jewelry, and wasn't sure if I should shop around the island, or buy from Joyce's friend.

We are doing Joyce's standard tour, and then picking my youngest son ( 7) to go the beach, and maybe have lunch on the ship, depending on Joyce's schedule.

Lastly ( if you don't mind :) ) what ship were you on ? We are going on the Valor . Do you have any tips for tours in St. Thomas ?

Thanks a bunch!

Hello all,

We arranged to have Joyce pick us up at 9:00 AM at the pier, since our ship (the Adventure of the Seas) arrived at 8:00 AM. The tour lasted until 3:00 PM, and if we wanted to keep her longer, then there was an hourly fee (which I feel was very fair)..

We didn't had to bargain for the jewelry... He said he would give us good prices, since we were with Joyce Prince, and she is his friend... Another family traveling with us went to another store to buy jewelry, and once they saw what we got (and for how much), the lady felt she was scammed because she paid almost as much for a ring and a plain gold chain. Same thing with the camera, no hassle required, just asked the guy how much it was... :)

On St Thomas I've done many things (except going to the beach), since I've been there about 7 times already... But what I honestly do now, is just walk around the pier, and find someone who looks friendly enough, and that offers a fair price for a tour... The highlight if these tours usually is going to St Thomas' tallest point, which does have an awsome view... I've also done the tram; but at $18 per adult, and $9 per child I find it a bit steep right now... Check the St Thomas forum to see if there are more ideas, as I've read from many people who took a tour with a guy (whose name I can't recall right now)...

:)

Any more questions, please feel free to ask..

Cesar

I gave her my CC #... She will not charge anything to it, unless you fail to show up for the tour (at which point she charges the penalty)...

Once you do the tour, you actually pay in cash...

You could also, depending on what CC company you have, ask your bank to give you a virtual CC # (I know MBNA/Bank of Am does)...

She is a class act, and trust me, she will not risk her reputation for some cash, which can easily be tracked back to her...

:)

The ride was on a Trail Blazer (seemed very new), which was very

comfortable for the 8 of us, and allowed for everyone to hear what

she was saying. It was a very hot day; but even my kids who were

all the way in the back had no problems, as the car had another A/C

unit for those in the back.

Hello Cesar,

Thanks very much for the review. If you don't mind me asking, how much

per person for the 6 Hour tour and was a tip add'l and expected ? I believe

she originally quoted us $35pp. We are trying to book with Joyce for our

Nov 26th E. Caribbean Cruise. She told me she could only take 6, and there

were already 4 going from our cruise critic group. Two others and us tried

to book her then, and they received a confirmation, and we never heard

back from her. That was a week ago ! :(

Per your review, I noticed your party was 8. Would this Trail Blazer be

comfortable for 8 full size adults ? Should I try again and see if she can

accomadate all 8 of us ? We sure would like to tour with her.

BTW - The "Guy" in St. Thomas we're touring with is Sunny Liston, $25pp.

There is also Godfrey's Tours, same price, but I understand Sunny's is

the tour to take ! :D

Thanks again for the review and for any advise !

I booked for next year with her, but was thinking about having her pick up my youngest son ( age 8) at the end from the ship, and going to the beach. I don't want to be rushed for time though. Do you feel an 8 year old would enjoy the tour ? I know there will be another couple with my family, and I don't want them, us, or my youngest not to enjoy Joyce's tour. I know I will drive my husband, and 16 year old nuts with the shopping, but the 8 year old could probably get through it, if the rest of the adventure is fun.

Appreciate feedback!:)

Thanks!

J&B: Our price was for the 8 of us, and it came to pretty much that amount per person... We were 8; but 3 were small children (10,11, 12) and there was a 4th skinny 16 year old, which allowed for them to fit on the last seat... I do not know if it would fit 4 adults comfortable; but I guess she thinks two is the max she should seat back there... However, I would still try contacting here just in case...

Irish: I guess the main problem with going back to the ship to pick up your 8 year old, is that you'll probably go to a beach on the French side, while the pier is on the Dutch side... so the ride is a bit long...

However, none of our kids complained about the tour, specially since they were able to take pics and see planes going right over their heads.. On Maho there also are great burgers...

The beaches is St Maarten are very nice, and I'm sure that Joyce can take you to one your son will love.. :) It is a matter of scheduling kid & adult fun n the tour...

By the way, there may be some topless women in Maho (which I forgot to mention in my review), so if you think you'll get offended by that, it is one thing to consider... We basically made fun of it, and moved on...

Thanks Cesar. We are definately all adults, so 8 would probably be

cramped. We certainly wouldn't want to spoil the experience for the

other 6 by overloading Joyce's Trail Blazer. We will be seeing some friends

at the Atrium Condos, S.E. end of Simpson Bay in the morning, so will

probably go up to Maho afterwards and watch the planes land, get

some sun, and enjoy those great burgers. :D

sueandkent: I got a very nice digital SLR camera for about $140 less of its US price... :) That store also had iPods and other electronics, and you will see their ads in the CruiseShip book about caribbean stores and such...

I will post a thread today with the shopping information.. ;)

Cesar,

Thanks for the review of Joyce. We tried to book with her for our upcoming trip but she is already booked. Can you tell me the name of the jewelry store? I know I wouldn't get the good price you did because Joyce wouldn't be with me, but I'd like to see what the price would be. Thanks in advance.

Katie

Katie,

The store is Jewelry Outlet... The owner's name is Vicky... I'm going to St Maarten again on December, and I'll visit him again...

Just tell him you read about his store in cruise critic... he knows about the board, and knows that whatever word is put here about him matters... ;)

• 1 month later...

We had the best day ever on St. Martin with Joyce Prince. (November 22, 2006) Her tour was everything we had heard, and more! She is such a sweet lady.

When you book with her, make sure you have a clear understanding whether you will be meeting at local time or ship's time. She arrived at the port an hour early, because she was on island time (of course) and we were thinking it was the same as ship's time. (Not necessarily)

Thank goodness Joyce waited around for us until I could call her on her cell phone. We hooked up at the exit to the pier area and were underway immediately...

It was just a memorable tour of a wonderful island...

LL

Archived