Hairbraiding in Nassau

Excited about Cruising

Earlier this month, some ship dinner partners had theirs braided for anywhere from $2-$4 per strand. In one case, there were 75 strands -- or a whoppin' $300 hairdo that came out the next day because she couldn't stand it! On top of that, two braiders almost got in a fistfight over her, because of the potential money involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest negotiating the price before the braiding starts. If they tell you $2 per braid, ask how many braids you will need. Be sure you have the total price nailed down so there is no surprise at the end. I've never had mine done in Nassau, but on other islands have paid anywhere from $10 (out in the country in a local shop) to about $40.

I personally love to have my hair braided when I'm in the Caribbean. The humidity makes my hair frizz and so it is much more manageable in braids - I usually have mine done before I leave home. Lucky to have a friend who likes to do braiding.

a) if using the open air braiders .... yes there are posted prices and I've never paid that. Haggle! Dau has had whole head multiple times and I've never paid 1/2 the posted prices. Did not bring own comb, and never had a problem in that regard either...but if really concerned consider next option...

b) I got tired of sitting in the heat for hour after hour of long hair whole head jobs. So we walked down the main street until I saw a sign for a beauty shop.....a real live beauty shop, with chairs and a/c and everything. In we went and we negotiated a price and 3 hours later dau had a whole head and I'd read several chapters of my book. More expensive but more comfortable for both of us.

Occasional Dad & Kids w/out mom cruiser sends....

Archived